Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas law enforcement ‘skeptical and nervous’ about constitutional carry gun bill

Texas law enforcement ‘skeptical and nervous’ about constitutional carry gun bill

House Bill 1927, which has received mixed-reviews from firearm instructors as well as law enforcement, passed out of the Senate on May 5 and is headed back to the House as amended. There, lawmakers can either accept the changes and send it to Gov. Greg Abbott, where it is expected to get his signature, or come up with a version agreeable to both chambers in a conference committee.
    https://www.star-telegram.com/news/p...251298328.html

I’m sure the Art Acevedos of TX law enforcement are nervous. Like they were about CHL and Open Carry. Criminals that mean to harm LEO or others for that matter are already carrying whatever they want, wherever they want. They don’t give a crap about laws. How has it been for the various other states that have constitutional carry laws?

About the only thing I can think of is folks too lazy to read the laws relating to prohibited places getting into trouble. But that’s not a threat to society.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    I’m sure the Art Acevedos of TX law enforcement are nervous. Like they were about CHL and Open Carry. Criminals that mean to harm LEO or others for that matter are already carrying whatever they want, wherever they want. They don’t give a crap about laws. How has it been for the various other states that have constitutional carry laws?

About the only thing I can think of is folks too lazy to read the laws relating to prohibited places getting into trouble. But that’s not a threat to society.
    QFT.

Acevedo is an embarrassment to his position.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Some of the biggest opponents in my state to constitutional carry are the Sheriff’s. But, it’s not because they fear errybody gonna be strapped now. It’s because they all make a lot of money issuing ccw licenses. In some of the poorer counties a larger percentage of their annual budget than you might think comes from pistol permits some counties would be hit pretty hard if they lost that revenue.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Some of the biggest opponents in my state to constitutional carry are the Sheriff’s. But, it’s not because they fear errybody gonna be strapped now. It’s because they all make a lot of money issuing ccw licenses. In some of the poorer counties a larger percentage of their annual budget than you might think comes from pistol permits some counties would be hit pretty hard if they lost that revenue.
    I think I know which state you are in but that’s not a factor in TX - here LTCs are entirely handled by the state.

Site Supporter

Thankfully, Art Acevedo (who is from CA) is leaving TX to become Chief in Miami, FL.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    THE biggest opponents in my state to constitutional carry are the Sheriff’s..
    fixed that for you, but for the AL Sheriff's Association we would have had constitutional carry as part of the 2013 reforms, this is the first year it got out of committee in the house and the current speaker is going to kill it at behest of the Sheriff's association....it is only about the money in this state...

I wish they would pass a lottery bill and give the Sheriff's 1% or something to buy them off on this.

Pulling for the citizens of Texas to win back their rights on this!

There is a difference however. Without a licensing requirement, there is no requirement to understand what the appropriate self defense laws actually are.

Meaning the mandatory CCW class in Tx is now bypassed by Constitutional Carry?

Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post
    Meaning the mandatory CCW class in Tx is now bypassed by Constitutional Carry?
    Yes (although currently is an LTC either open or concealed). I believe the current version of the proposed law still requires a LTC for certain areas.

User Tag List