Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas law enforcement ‘skeptical and nervous’ about constitutional carry gun bill

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    There is a difference however. Without a licensing requirement, there is no requirement to understand what the appropriate self defense laws actually are.
    Can't imagine anything less important than the stuff they teach in the CHL classes. They are also not taught by lawyers and I recommend not listening to anything they say about the law.

Site Supporter
    I'll disagree. When I took the classes, we had a segment of blood lusted fools, dragging the body inside the house. Think they could shoot anytime in TX over property etc. Now, who knows if they would change their behavior.

It will be an empirical question of whether the low crime rate of folks with LTCs, continues with constitutional carry. We haven't seen more craziness in con. carry states as far as I know.

I wonder if we will see a spate of new signs like when OC passed.

Site Supporter
    When OC happened, there were antigun folks and companies contacting businesses warning them of danger, some giving free signs away and some selling them. I can see some companies putting up total ban signs. It will hit folks if the big stores like HEB, WalMart, Target, etc. go for it. OC signs weren't a big deal as only certain people went that route. A local restaurant that put up an OC sign said they had a couple of old coots ranting at first but no discernible impact.

One still would need an LTC for reciprocity.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    When OC happened, there were antigun folks and companies contacting businesses warning them of danger, some giving free signs away and some selling them. I can see some companies putting up total ban signs. It will hit folks if the big stores like HEB, WalMart, Target, etc. go for it. OC signs weren't a big deal as only certain people went that route. A local restaurant that put up an OC sign said they had a couple of old coots ranting at first but no discernible impact.

One still would need an LTC for reciprocity.
    The difference is you can see/stop someone from open carrying in your business.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    No. Not in TX.

Unfortunately the thread has mixed comments about constitutional carry issues in Alabama, where county Sheriff's make money issuing carry permits with the issues of TX.

There have been a few LTC instructors whining about this but in TX the state issues Licenses To Carry and it's a break even operation at best.

Texas would have had constitutional carry several years ago but for the absolute idiots of Open Carry Texas and Open Tarrant County who thought threatening lawmakers in their offices and and at their homes was a smart move.

Instead, the lawmakers went from requiring licensing for concealed carry via the TX CHL to requiring licensing for both open and concealed carry as a little "fuck you" to the Open Carry idiots.
    Where does the licensing money go?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KellyinAvon View Post
    Where does the licensing money go?
    The fees collected by TX DPS for LTCs go to the state general fund and are a break even proposition (at best) for the state for the man hours involved. Finger prints for LTC’s are fine by private contractors.

Sheriffs in Texas are not involved in the LTC process.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The fees collected by TX DPS for LTCs go to the state general fund and are a break even proposition (at best) for the state for the man hours involved. Finger prints for LTC’s are fine by private contractors.

Sheriffs in Texas are not involved in the LTC process.
    I asked because a lot of the LEO opposition in Indiana was money-driven. A significant part of the licensing fees go to the local department. When the 5 year license became free effective 1 July 2020? Put it this way, there were more LEOs testifying in support of HB 1369 (Constitutional Carry) than opposing.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KellyinAvon View Post
    I asked because a lot of the LEO opposition in Indiana was money-driven. A significant part of the licensing fees go to the local department. When the 5 year license became free effective 1 July 2020? Put it this way, there were more LEOs testifying in support of HB 1369 (Constitutional Carry) than opposing.
    That’s apparently the case in AL as well but not in TX.

The usual liberal city chiefs have come out against constitutional carry on a “blood in the streets” argument here and of course some of (the worst of) the LTC instructors.

Real talk: you know who can get fucked? Every single Concealed Carry instructor that was against this bill because they were worried about it cutting into their revenue.

User Tag List