Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Texas law enforcement ‘skeptical and nervous’ about constitutional carry gun bill

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    This document has the following:

Attachment 72986

The prose and picture seems to indicate that you have reciprocity with New York. That is not true. New York recognizes no other states. (Glenn has his usual tantrum over GOP failure to push reciprocity, no Hillary isn't better, blah, blah).

Don't know about the other state, one might check.
    It's a misleading map. The states in red recognize the TX LTC. The states in white are either constitutional carry where the LTC isn't necessary or prohibited altogether.

I think they're trying to show which states you can carry in if you still get your LTC. But yeah, it's an odd way to visualize data. It kind of implies some similarity between CA and AZ on the carry front that definitely doesn't exist.

Site Supporter
    Yeah, I get it. It confused me - duh.

Do any of the legislators that write these laws ever test them for comprehension on the general public?

Somebody here recently said that legislators are the same people you went to high school with. Must be true.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Do any of the legislators that write these laws ever test them for comprehension on the general public?
    That's not a bug; that's a feature.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    That's not a bug; that's a feature.
    Reminds me of the WA Dept of Fish and wildlife regulations. You really have no hope of understanding those 100%. I've been cited a few times and I tried to comply after reading those. I finally just gave up in disgust and stopped buying a license.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter

Somebody here recently said that legislators are the same people you went to high school with. Must be true.

No. They are another example of “experts” doing expert things.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Thanks to you and CN for taking the time to clarify this.

I think the only thing I'm still confused on is this link: https://cdn.brandfolder.io/5Z10RK5F/...Pg-Digital.pdf

It indicates the 46.03 sign (prohibited places) applies to both license holders and unlicensed carry. Is that incorrect? The list of prohibited places on page 12 are called out as:

So, your take on 46.03 seems to be the right one.

The cliff notes version: for people with an LTC the only signs you care about now are 30.06, 30.07 and 51%. Does that sound right?
    Page 15 in that PDF gives a good summary.
    I believe your Cliff's notes summary is correct.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Texas law enforcement ‘skeptical and nervous’ about constitutional carry gun bill

Lol. They are the short bus folks most likely.

I’ve always thought that the process for a bill to become law should be changed to:

Legislature writes and votes.
    Supreme Court reviews
    Bill verbiage sent to random smattering if HS kids and they interpret the law. If the majority get the same answer bill goes to governor.

Laws are not meant to be understood by mere mortal, unwashed masses . They are written to be ambiguous and give fellow layers lots of revenue.

Site Supporter

The legislative process is often compared to sausage making; you don't want to see how it actually works. There are multiple groups that often need to be appeased, and that can regularly result in sloppy drafting as the draft is cycled between interest groups, lawmakers, and legislative drafters.

There are also considerations of not wanting to open certain code sections to prevent them from being amended (amendments not germane), so odd drafting has to be done to work around those sections.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    No. They are another example of “experts” doing expert things.
    "Top men"

User Tag List