Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas law enforcement ‘skeptical and nervous’ about constitutional carry gun bill

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I think the biggest beneficiaries of constitutional carry aren’t “gun people” and the 2A crowd. It’s the poor folks who actually live in shitty neighborhoods and can’t affiord the time or money for a class. Those same people are also far more likely than the average member of PF to be a victim of violent crime.
    That’s been John Lotts take on licensing: it discriminates against the poor.

IIRC, I spent well over $300 getting my LTC: $140, application, $10 fingerprinting, something like $200 for class.

One thing I rarely see mentioned is LTC is a de facto registration of oneself as a gun owner.

Quote Originally Posted by RancidSumo View Post
    You mean the signs where if you ignore it and carry anyway (1) nobody will know and (2) if they do know all they can do is ask you to leave?
    Its actually a crime to ignore it. Thats effective notice under the statute.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Where did you eat?
    I am not sure. Its been a decade and we were there on business.

Site Supporter
    Some--in general and not particularly here--object to constitutional carry but will not publicly admit the reason. They are are aware of the high homicide rate among minority males in the under 30 age bracket, and they think that constitutional carry will contribute to more violence among this group. Many who hold this view are minority community leaders. Having worked in the inner city, I interacted with minority persons who had this viewpoint.

About 2nd Amendment advocates. Many among this group use PayPal and think nothing of it. I find that odd.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    They can just get the fuck over it.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    Looks like the conference committee has reached a final bill.
    One vote in each chamber and the Governors signature remains.

https://www.ltgov.texas.gov/2021/05/...927-agreement/

“I congratulate Rep. Matt Schaefer, R-Tyler, and Sen. Charles Schwertner, R-Georgetown, for reaching a full agreement on Constitutional Carry – HB 1927. This legislation restores our Second Amendment rights and upholds every Texan’s right to self-defense. HB 1927 is a historic bill and a national model. It includes the thinking of national gun rights advocates and many in Texas law enforcement and affirms our commitment to protect the rights of gun owners and the safety of those in law enforcement.
    Still waiting for the committe version to be posted to see what's going to be accomplished.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    IN a general sense thats true. But one method requires you to actually read and understand the law at least to a minimum level. The other does not.
    I’ve taken a TX ccw class. No basic understanding is verfied, nor basic competency— which is irrelevant, since you need not demonstrate comprehension or competence to exercise other more dangerous constitutional rights like the franchise, free speech, assembly, etc.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I’ve taken a TX ccw class. No basic understanding is verfied, nor basic competency—
    The current LTC requirements involve a written exam and a shooting component.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/section/ha...quirements-faq

An applicant may attend LTC classroom training and demonstrate handgun proficiency (shooting) with a Texas Qualified LTC Instructor, or

An applicant may receive LTC online training (classroom only) through an Approved Online Course Provider who has been approved in Texas. After, successfully passing the online classroom portion, an applicant must attend 1-2 hours of range instruction class and demonstrate handgun proficiency (shooting) with a Texas Qualified LTC Instructor.
    It stretches the definition of "basic" since it's like 15 multiple choice questions and all but like 5 rounds are shot from nearly contact distance... but it's there.

Whether or not it should be is another question.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    That’s been John Lotts take on licensing: it discriminates against the poor.

IIRC, I spent well over $300 getting my LTC: $140, application, $10 fingerprinting, something like $200 for class.

One thing I rarely see mentioned is LTC is a de facto registration of oneself as a gun owner.
    Hundreds of dollars is a significant amount of money for a lot of people (me included). Spending ~$200 to get my first permit up here in MN didn't break me, but it definitely had some financial impact. I can easily imagine how it would be difficult for a lot of people and impossible for some, especially when you add on the cost of actually buying a gun in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    The current LTC requirements involve a written exam and a shooting component.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/section/ha...quirements-faq
    Admittedly when I took the class it was all day and included 25 yard shots.

It stretches the definition of "basic" since it's like 15 multiple choice questions and all but like 5 rounds are shot from nearly contact distance... but it's there.

Whether or not it should be is another question.

User Tag List