Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fort Campbell Soldiers Charged in Gun Pipeline to Chicago

Fort Campbell Soldiers Charged in Gun Pipeline to Chicago

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ng/5044071001/

NASHVILLE – Federal agents arrested three Fort Campbell soldiers Tuesday in connection to an illegal gun pipeline to Chicago after guns found at a mass shooting scene in Illinois were traced to Tennessee purchases, the Nashville U.S. Attorney's office announced.

Demarcus Adams, 21; Jarius Brunson, 22; and Brandon Miller, 22, all enlisted members of the U.S. Army stationed in Clarksville, Tenn., face multiple federal charges in the case.

Guns traced to the trio have been connected to multiple shootings including a late March attack that left one person dead and seven other people wounded on Chicago’s Far Southwest Side.

'Eye-popping numbers':Chicago sues Indiana gun store tied to 850 firearms recovered from crime scenes

All three soldiers were arrested Tuesday morning by agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Division, Mary Jane Stewart, Acting U.S. Attorney for the Middle District of Tennessee, said.

Each solider is charged with transferring a firearm to an out-of-state resident; making false statements during the purchase of a firearm; engaging in the business without a firearms license; wire fraud; money laundering; and conspiracy to commit Title 18 offenses, according to a criminal complaint.

Investigation of the firearms began March 26 when Chicago police went to the mass shooting in the city's Wrightwood neighborhood, court documents show.According to Chicago police, at least two men opened fire at a party shortly after midnight.

Multiple firearms were recovered from the shooting scene and five of the firearms were found to have been recently purchased from Federal Firearms Licensed dealers in Clarksville, court documents show.

Further investigation, the complaint continues, identified Adams, Brunson and Miller as the majority purchasers of these firearms.

A broader investigation into firearms transaction records determined that since September 2019, the three men had purchased 91 firearms from multiple federal firearms dealers in Clarksville; Oak Grove, Kentucky; Hopkinsville, Kentucky; Fort Campbell, Kentucky; and Paducah, Kentucky.

The majority of the firearms, the complaint continues, were purchased over the last five months.

After the firearms were purchased, Miller would provide them to people he was associated with in Chicago, investigators claim in the criminal complaint.

On Friday, prosecutors say, a federal search warrant was executed at the Clarksville home of Miller and Adams.

There, 49 empty firearms cases were discovered — many of them matched to firearms recovered by the Chicago Police Department at the scene of recent shootings and homicides, the complaint noted.

All three soldiers are slated to appear before a U.S. Magistrate Judge in Nashville Monday afternoon.

The government has asked that at least one, Miller, be detained pending trial, court documents show.

Prosecutors claim Miller led the effort to transport the guns and noted he is currently facing court martial proceedings through the military base related to an alleged sexual assault.

Miller "faces significant civilian and military justice charges and has very few, if any, connections to the Middle District of Tennessee, the defendant would pose a significant flight risk if he were released," they argued in the motion to detail filed Tuesday.

If convicted, under federal law, the men each face up to 20 years in prison.

Fort Campbell is a U.S. Army base on the Kentucky-Tennessee border and home to the 101st Airborne Division.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

So... wait... Chicago's "gun problems" *are* actually due to an "iron pipeline" of out-of-state guns?

Wow.

So are the gun-control groups right about everything else?

:eyeroll:
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

I don't think that's the point...at least from where I stand.

It would be interesting to see if any of the three were given morality waivers. The article goes out of the way to not mention gang associations.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I don't think that's the point...at least from where I stand.
    It was an attempt at humorous sarcasm. I realize that wasn't the point.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Site Supporter
    The first local gun store I started going to when I turned 16 was shut down after hundreds of guns they sold were tracked back to them and a couple of straw purchasers they were working with from New York. We can put our fingers in our ears and La La La that it’s all lies all we want, but this is a thing and has been and will be as long as money can be made doing it.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

I always wonder what the prices are like pistols around Chicago vs Indiana. More restrictive laws = more expensive product = more product moving that direction.

The fact that there is a pipeline shouldn't be any more surprising than finding another tunnel from Mexico...

Hammertime
    I am quite pleased to see the law enforced.

Site Supporter
    Prosecutors claim Miller led the effort to transport the guns and noted he is currently facing court martial proceedings through the military base related to an alleged sexual assault.
    ^This line right here. This shit gnaws at me every day. Shitheads don't go this large overnight, they get there by doing one shitty thing at a time, progressively shittier, without effective consequence.

I promise, absolutely fucking promise, there was an NCO at some point that wished like hell he could take that kid to the woodline or do some good old wall-to-wall counseling, and that would have likely *WORKED* to adjust that kid on his shit before it got to the level of sexual assault or illegal gunrunning.
    But it's a newer, gentler Army now, one where we don't do shit like that because it's 'hazing' or 'unrefined' or 'unprofessional'. Nowadays this just starts a paper trail that takes years to actually form into a tangible punishment but can potentially screw up all kinds of things for Soldiers later in their careers after they've been 'fixed' of whatever started that paper trail.

Young joes like that, who continue to push boundaries, simply don't respond to paperwork because they don't give a fuck about paperwork. It's an eye-rolling inconvenience, not a real punishment. Sure, Article 15's and such likely happened but extra duty and docked pay doesn't mean shit to many of those Soldiers. They simply do not fear the disapproval of their NCO's or leadership, so while they may be on extra duty and getting less pay, they're still fucking up the extra duty.

It makes me sick, because every time shit like this spills into criminal bullshit on the civilian side of things, especially when it makes the news, it makes EVERY one of us look bad, and that makes me angry as hell.

User Tag List