Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rental car prices.

Angry Rental car prices.

If you haven’t looked into renting a car recently, you’ll be surprised at how expensive it has become.

My recent search = 850 bucks for an economy car for 6 days - NOT including taxes and fees.

During 2020 a lot of rental fleets were sold, dropping the supply. Now everyone wants to travel and demand is high.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    If you haven’t looked into renting a car recently, you’ll be surprised at how expensive it has become.

My recent search = 850 bucks for an economy car for 6 days - NOT including taxes and fees.

During 2020 a lot of rental fleets were sold, dropping the supply. Now everyone wants to travel and demand is high.
    If you need it for 6 days, try renting from an off-airport location. Prices often drop, and the taxes and fees are often associated with airport locations. I save hundreds of dollars every time I rent a car/truck in Seattle by taking the light rail/Uber to an off airport location and avoiding the stadium construction fee assessed on airport rentals.

Rent a truck or van from Hertz truck division for example. They have normalish amounts of stuff and prices.

Even the usual rental places have FS PU's and are often cheaper.

Wife and daughter are renting in a few weeks on a trip and got a Regular cab FS truck.

Rental moving trucks are nuts high, too. 26’ers have gone from $1200 last August to $2600 now.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Sometimes there is actually a price break for a 1 week (7 day ) rental.

The expense right now is impacting my Rising College Junior Recovery Trip. I will be driving my car v renting an Minivan/SUV. We will store items there for the summer at a storage place.

Costco just quoted 350 dollars for an SUV Thurs thru Sun. A minivan is 477. That same minvan that I in fact rented in August 2020 when I took him to school was 175.00.

Apples to apples, I can use my car, store most of his stuff there, and be 200 plus ahead relative to last year given the car rental increase and the gas usage difference between a 20 Jetta (40 MPG) and a 20 Dodge Minivan (20) mpg).
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

reserve early if you even want one, several of my colleagues have discovered that there is no more show up and pick one option at many airports like the old days

Supply Chain Issues

• Can't get rental cars because cars were sold at onset of pandemic.
    • Can't get new cars because can't get electonic components.
    • Can't get electronic components for cars because orders for there were cancelled at onset of pandemic, component suppliers now making other stuff needed by people staying home during pandemic.
    • Can't put gas in cars because cyber attack on pipeline.
    • Can't get plastic and other petroleum byproducts because oil extraction reduced at onset of pandemic, also poor planning / organization of energy supplies which were brought out by winter storm Uri.
    • Can't get stuff shipped from overseas because not enough containers & congestion at ports.
    • Can't get lumber and other building material because mills etc. closed / capacity reduced because of pandemic.
    • Can't get firearms or ammunition because panic buying due to social unrest.

Did I miss anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Did I miss anything?
    For want of a nail...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I used a Uhaul U-Box to ship a large quantity of paper (about 1800#s worth) to a colleague in Austin earlier this month. The cost was $1400.

When I used a U-Box to ship my tools and car parts from Dallas (just a 200-mile shorter trip) last summer it was $700.

Double the cost in ~10-months.

It is what it is.

ETA: U-Box/Pods have it all over a moving truck. I have no interest in ever driving a moving truck ever again. We're doing the Seattle move in U-Boxes. It'll cost me 3600 bucks. And A 26' truck, towing the Sunbeam across the continent will cost me the same if not more in gas. And way more aggravation. Plus, I'd have to fly back to Chicago to get the FJ. So I'd make two trips.

If you are travelling to Alaska and you want a car from June 1 through Aug15, good luck. They are totally booked, and since rental cars get wrecked regularly, there will be a lot of unhappy people this summer when there won't be a car available. RV rentals are in the same boat, but that's not unusual.

User Tag List