Thread: 3" Colt Detective Special.

3" Colt Detective Special.

Hi,

I've got a line on 96% Colt Detective Special 3 inch revolver. Doesn't look like the original grips are available nor the box. They're asking $900. Does that seems like a good price?
    I've checked GunBroker.com and the 3" guns are well above $1200.

Not excessive given today’s market IMHO. Won’t be any more of them made.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Site Supporter
    If I had the money to spare I'd buy it.

YMMV,
    Dave

Today's prices... maybe? Try searching gunbroker for completed auctions to get a feel for the market? Right before COVID lockdwn, last year, I saw two of the 3" DS within a week - one at Cabela's, the other at a local gunstore. Both were very good condition and ask was around $600 for either. Thought about them but skipped with concerns on parts availability plus needing new leather, speedloaders, etc. Stuck in my head though since they were the first 3" DS I'd seen in awhile and then two simultaneously popped up. With current panic pricing being what it is it may be a reasonable price currently and for awhile. Some auction completion searching ought to help figure it out.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Probably fair in the current market. Back in normal times I picked one up for about $600 myself.

Brag: My 3" Detective Special was $275.

BUT it is not anywhere close to a 96% gun, 36% maybe. It was also mis-labeled on Gunbroker as a 3" Police Positive Special.

I'd say that price is on the higher side, but not outrageous. They aren't making them any more.

The 3" Detective Special is the finest carry revolver in existence in my opinion. Lighter than a 3" K-frame, smaller in all dimensions, but still holds 6 rounds of .38. Mine shoots 148-grain wadcutters to the sights. 135-grain short barrel Gold Dot also hits to the sights, but is obviously not a load you shoot a lot of.

I've got one. It sits in the safe with my other "Snakes". A late '90s version with hideous "factory" Pachmayer grips. It rarely goes to the range. I wouldn't carry it. But, there is a pride of ownership. What it's worth is a relative sorta thing. I would not take the seller's asking price for mine.
    Paraphrasing Wyatt Earp: The first shot is twice as important as the second shot, the 2nd shot is twice as important as the 3rd shot, the 3rd shot is twice as important as the 4th shot, the 4th shot is twice as important as the 5th shot…

I want a 3" Nightcobra

3-inch Colts

Today that is a good price. I favor the 3-inch Colts and have several. I would jump on a 90 %+ gun at that price.
    My spare EDC carry is a salvaged Florida hurricane gun which I got cheap, but then spent twice what I paid for it to have Sandy Garrett at Nova Gun Works do a complete rebuild and duty refurbished and refinish on it. I have $900 in it now, but it was worth it to me because they aren't making them anymore.

User Tag List