Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winchester Ranger 9mm Luger 147gr T-Series JHP SKU: RA9T

Winchester Ranger 9mm Luger 147gr T-Series JHP SKU: RA9T

I can get it for a very good price.

GTG for carry and range practice or just get it and use it for range ammo?

I know a few years ago the 9mm Ranger had some problems after they moved there plant.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mitchum View Post

I know a few years ago the 9mm Ranger had some problems after they moved there plant.
    It’s on Doc’s list so I’d trust it for duty/carry use if it functioned in my gun. I’d run a box or two through the gun just to make sure it was reliable and, if I experienced no issues in that box or two, I’d load up and carry it without a second thought.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

I still have some from when it was my chosen 9mm load for my Storm and my PT92.

It worked flawlessly in both. I can't speak to more recently manufactured stuff.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter
    This Ranger ammo functions without failure in every 9mm I have tied it in.

If looking at it for defensive use, I would just make sure that the reason you can get it cheap isn't because it's an agency contract reject lot. Also, I believe the time frame for the ammo problems was 2010-2013, as reported by DocGKR. Outside of that time frame, I say go for it.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    If looking at it for defensive use, I would just make sure that the reason you can get it cheap isn't because it's an agency contract reject lot. Also, I believe the time frame for the ammo problems was 2010-2013, as reported by DocGKR. Outside of that time frame, I say go for it.
    This ^^^^

RA9T is my preferred load for defense/carry, though almost all of mine was acquired ages ago, before their QC issues (some for as cheap as $10/50!). If you can get it for a really good price, I'd not hesitate, with the exception of the above reject lot issue. I wouldn't burn it up as practice ammo, if its not rejects/problem lot. If the deal was good enough, I'd take it as practice ammo, even if its a "bad" lot. IIRC most of their issues were dud primers.

Compared to 147gr HST, the RA9T generally penetrated a bit deeper, and seemed to be a bit more consistent through all the FBI barrier tests, which was one reason I liked it. It also has been very accurate stuff for me.

It was my preferred defensive load a number of years back, but then I just could never ever find it anywhere. So, I moved to HST.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    For what it’s worth...
    I had a couple of feed malfunctions with it in a Beretta 92 that ran flawlessly with everything else, both before and after.
    So I moved to HST and haven’t looked back. This was back in 2012, I think.
    I didn’t troubleshoot the issue extensively, so I could have been magazine related, but changing ammo corrected the issue.

I’m sure that for most guns, it’s not ever going to be a problem. And it’s on Doc’s list, so terminal effectiveness is GTG.

If you can get a lot for a good price, it’s probably a safe bet.

Thanks to all for the good info !!!

What do you consider a Very Good Price?

User Tag List