Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Texas tigers

Tiger briefly on the loose in Texas suburb, viral video shows

I recall seeing this headline and thinking “goddamnit, can’t he just stay off the pills and stick to golf”
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Do any of our Midwestern members know what was used when dude let all his tigers and lions and bears free in Zainsville Ohio?

Iirc from memory some of the first officers on scene had to use handguns and others had AR’s. By the time it was over they had killed a substantial number of number of dangerous predators.

From wiki https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011..._animal_escape

The animals confirmed to be dead were eighteen tigers, six black bears, two grizzly bears, two wolves, one macaque monkey, one baboon, three mountain lions, nine male lions, and eight lionesses.
    Name:  07CC308D-2046-4DCA-8526-DBE7533150C3.jpeg
Views: 256
Size:  64.4 KB

ETA: @BN posted up the same story as this one while I was posting slowly.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Do any of our Midwestern members know what was used when dude let all his tigers and lions and bears free in Zainsville Ohio?

Iirc from memory some of the first officers on scene had to use handguns and others had AR’s. By the time it was over they had killed a substantial number of number of dangerous predators.

From @Mas:

https://americanhandgunner.com/the-a...ears-for-real/

Site Supporter
    Thanks, I’d forgotten Mas had written that despite reading it before.

It seems that shooting big cats with 5.56 is best performed as a group activity from the back of a truck.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Thanks, I’d forgotten Mas had written that despite reading it before.

It seems that shooting big cats with 5.56 is best performed as a group activity from the back of a truck.
    Large group activity at that.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

ETA: @BN posted up the same story as this one while I was posting slowly.
    Esquire magazine did a write up as well.

A similar incident is going to appear in one of my future novels.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Esquire magazine did a write up as well.

A similar incident is going to appear in one of my future novels.
    I've studied this incident at length, both for the book, and because of some other interests I have.

1) The number and types of animals, and the conditions under which they were kept was ridiculous. I'm not a proponent of telling people what they should or shouldn't own, or more regulation typically, but Thompson should have been shut down. The wild animal trade in some states is out of control, and this sort of thing is likely to happen again.

2) It's a miracle nobody died.

3) Sheriff's Lutz's decision to immediately start dropping animals was 100% correct. The closest help for safely capturing an animal that size was at the Columbus zoo, and they were a distance away. They could at most have helped with a couple of escaped animals. Columbus Zoo staff, including Jack Hanna, were on board with how it happened.

4) It took giant brass balls to hunt those animals at night. BZ Muskingum County SO.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

The Zanesville incident was semi local. I live about 50 miles away. Driving by on I-70 you could see all his 40s, 50s and 60s cars rusting away in the field. Word on the street was he wouldn't sell anything. I wondered what happened to them afterwards.

A friend's wife is known to get all goo goo eyed over privately held wild animals of all sizes.
    A picture of a "playful, tame" beast is just her thing.
    Phooey.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    So, @GJM @Paul D, what's the best carry gun when there are likely to be tigers roaming your suburb? 1301 with Brennekes?
    Just my opinion, but I would say a Bushmaster would be ideal.

Not the puny little .223 carbine:

Name:  shrubmaster.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  74.6 KB

But the navalized 25MM chain gun variety:

Name:  chain gun.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  48.7 KB

And yes, I know you said carry gun. But anything is a carry gun, you just need to add more PFC's as necessary.

User Tag List