Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas tigers

Jim Corbett thought a .450-400 was adequate for tigers and was known to shoot them with a .275 Rigby. But he was a professional, do not try that at home.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    I mean if I’m honest an rpg would make the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Jim Corbett thought a .450-400 was adequate for tigers and was known to shoot them with a .275 Rigby. But he was a professional, do not try that at home.
    I'm offended. Texas kitties need petting and love. How else are we going to keep the chupacabra populations down?

Hammertime
    https://frontierpartisans.com/3666/jim-corbetts-rifle/

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    I mean if I’m honest an rpg would make the most sense.
    Y'all are slacking

HCM beat me to it. Never get out of the fucking boat!
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    My favorite tiger story is the story of Vladimir Markov a Russian poacher who in 1997 wounded a Siberian or Amur tiger and stole part of the fresh kill it had made. This made the tiger angry and over the next couple of days:

The injured tiger hunted Markov down in a way that appears to be chillingly premeditated. The tiger staked out Markov's cabin, systematically destroyed anything that had Markov's scent on it, and then waited by the front door for Markov to come home.

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...ryId=129551459

It’s worth a web search if your into terrifying animal storie and there are a couple of decent videos and articles out there about the incident.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    My favorite tiger story is the story of Vladimir Markov a Russian poacher who in 1997 wounded a Siberian or Amur tiger and stole part of the fresh kill it had made. This made the tiger angry and over the next couple of days:

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...ryId=129551459

It’s worth a web search if your into terrifying animal storie and there are a couple of decent videos and articles out there about the incident.
    I highly recommend the book The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and Survival by John Vaillant

A gripping story of man pitted against nature’s most fearsome and efficient predator.

Outside a remote village in Russia’s Far East a man-eating tiger is on the prowl. The tiger isn’t just killing people, it’s murdering them, almost as if it has a vendetta. A team of trackers is dispatched to hunt down the tiger before it strikes again. They know the creature is cunning, injured, and starving, making it even more dangerous. As John Vaillant re-creates these extraordinary events, he gives us an unforgettable and masterful work of narrative nonfiction that combines a riveting portrait of a stark and mysterious region of the world and its people, with the natural history of nature’s most deadly predator.
    https://smile.amazon.com/Tiger-Venge...s%2A=0&ie=UTF8

Site Supporter
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/houston-t...apartment-2003

Houston tiger roaming neighborhood evokes memories of 400-pound tiger found living in Harlem apartment
    The whereabouts of the Houston tiger remained unknown on Wednesday.

[It turns out there have been many Tiger kings over the years.

Houston made headlines this week after a tiger was found wandering a suburban neighborhood where it came face-to-face with an armed deputy before a man put the animal in the back seat of a white Jeep Cherokee and fled the scene.

But nearly 20 years ago, an even more bizarre scene unfolded in a Harlem housing project.

On Oct. 3, 2003, police discovered a 400-pound Siberian-Bengal tiger named Ming living in the Drew-Hamilton Houses. Its owner, Antoine Yates, had purchased the tiger three years earlier from a wild animal dealer.

Yates was being treated at the hospital for bite wounds he claimed were from a dog – but doctors suspected it was from something much bigger.

Wildlife experts arrived at Yates’ apartment and Emergency Service Unit officer Martin Duffy shot the tiger with a tranquilizer dart while rappelling down a rope from the seventh floor.

Yates was arrested on charges of reckless endangerment and possession of a wild animal. He served three and a half months in jail.

Ming was transferred to a Noah’s Lost Ark Animal Sanctuary in Berlin Center, Ohio where he lived for the remainder of his life until 2019.
    Name:  Ming Tiger Harlem.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  71.8 KB

I was under the impression that all the big cats were still thin skinned and relatively light (for their size). Meaning, you actually don't need a cape buffalo caliber.

Wasn't it the Howdah "pistols" essentially being short barreled shotguns that were used primarily for defense against tigers when mounted on an elephant? Or is that me conflating fiction with reality.

Put another way: 12-gauge buckshot or 5.56 JSPs, would that not be adequately effective?

User Tag List