Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Diary of a snake bite victim

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I had one Mojave interaction and it was the first and only snake that actually advanced toward me aggressively!

It probably didn't help that a friend and I had just run it over with our bikes.
    That’s something I worry about when riding in Usury Park.

Mohave Rattlesnake
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    I had one Mojave interaction and it was the first and only snake that actually advanced toward me aggressively!

It probably didn't help that a friend and I had just run it over with our bikes.
    Here in the southeast we have water mocassins or cottonmouths if you prefer. I’ve had them start swimming in my direction from ten to fifteen yards out before. I don’t know if they’re being aggressive or curious because I’ve never hung around long enough to find out. Our copperheads and timber rattlers on the other hand tend to be pretty mellow unless you step on them or grab them.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Site Supporter
    Today I got briefly rattled at while cruising down a rock garden on the bike. Went back to take a look and could neither stimulate a rattle nor see the snake. In my limited experience the local black and black tails usually retreat if you leave them alone.

Mojaves are assholes though and I expect W. Diamondbacks are the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I think Westerns are more likely to try to disappear as well if you leave them alone. If not they’ll coil and strike if needed.

I’ve never dealt with Mojaves. I think they’re in high deserts/low mountains.

I’ve heard they are assholes. The vet who treated my dog said they’re bite is likely fatal to dogs and antivenin doesn’t work well. The vet said the majority of bites he treats are from Westerns.

ETA I was curious so I did some reading on Mohaves. Their range is a lot bigger in Arizona then I thought. I might have seen them and not known.

Mojaves can be complete assholes and their venom, as stated, is very toxic. Diamondbacks are much easier to deal with. Most rattlesnakes are pretty easy to avoid, though.

All of the people I personally know who have been bitten were messing with/trying to pick up the snake. Most of the dogs I know of are bitten on the face because they are either curious and nosing the snake, or are trying to bite and kill it. Dogs and people that avoid snakes tend to not have problems.

I still carry a jframe loaded with shot when out and about in the AZ countryside spring/summer/fall. And every snake I’ve ever killed still has been with a shovel or stick.

I got bit by a banded rock rattler when I was a kid. I still have the scar on my right arm.

The biggest fight was not me tangling with a rattler, but my grandfather explaining to my grandmother why he drove me to a large animal vet, instead of the local hospital.

After he tried explaining that the 60+ year old vet had seen and treated way more snake bites than the 26-year-old intern, he finally just threw up his hands and said "Of course I took him to the vet! Have you seen that boy eat?"

User Tag List