Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diary of a snake bite victim

I have to worry about Western Diamondbacks around my house and land. I had a smaller dog bit by one and I killed one by my working dogs kennel one night. Fortunately I had put up metal mesh around the base of the kennel runs so he couldn’t get inside. A shovel worked just fine.

I take care walking around my yard. You get used to looking in bushes before you walk by them. I know one lady who was bitten by a rattler in her garage when she reached into some shelving.

They’re around but you just don’t see them.

I think this was the first Steve Irwin video I ever watched. There’s some crazy work here.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

SC copperhead bite:

https://news.yahoo.com/hilton-head-w...170216898.html

Rattler ended up in the stats shack at a match in April, and a person took it out with a .38 and snake shot.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Nah, I’m not annoyed by the existence of particular guns. Your PFC would have annoyed me greatly, and not just for the idiotic trade he made for the Judge.

Your truck driver acquaintance probably does have the most legit use for one I’ve ever heard of, but I think even a polymer S&W “Bodyguard” or Charter Bulldog would do the same thing and be less bulky to crawl around cars with.
    True, but these things actually are quite compact and at about 25-ounces easy to shoot. https://www.taurususa.com/revolvers/...olymer-2-50-in

And .410 #8/#9 shot is easier to find than .38 snake shot about half the time. It's also about 1/5 the price. I get where folks are coming from but CCI snake shot in .38s are about $1.5/round. While .410 is like .25/round. At least during normal times. Right now .38 Snakeshot is $3.5/round and .410 is 1.25/round.

Site Supporter
    When I was a kid, the thing my parents said to me more than anything else was "watch out for snakes." Fortunately I did a good job of that and never ran into problems. One of the best shots I ever made was on a swimming water moccasin at ~15 yards that I shot through the temple with a .22LR. The most exciting one though was huge water moccasin I caught trying to move a catfish it'd bitten up out of the water that I shot with a 20 gauge at near point blank range. Honestly, I probably have more trigger time shooting snakes and turtles than anything else, even though I haven't done either in years now. I've yet to kill a rattlesnake, but a couple of years ago when I was at my parents house I noticed that the dogs were barking a different sort of bark one night. I stepped out onto the back porch, and a quick flash of the Surefire revealed a very large rattlesnake stretched out on the sidewalk between the house and the garage. My dad killed that one with a hoe or a shovel.

For a couple of years when I was a kid, my dad took up crawfishing. We'd spend afternoons out in the swamp setting and checking nets. There were literally snakes everywhere. I was too young to shoot unattended then, but trying to shoot snakes in that situation would have been pure folly. I survived, and I'd be happy to do that again if the opportunity presented itself. However, I'd never take my suburban third grader into that situation, and that makes me sad. Time for bed before I ramble too much.

Spraying clove oil diluted in water makes an effective snake barrier. It is approved and used by the USDA. I use about 8 drops per cup of water in the sprayer with clove oil purchased from Walmart and spray a barrier monthly around the house, yard, barn and chicken house. It's been working 100%. Zero snakes inside the barrier for about 18 months. Found this solution after my wife almost stepped on a copperhead in the back yard. It was the second copperhead in the yard in a month. Also no chicken eggs disappearing any longer.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    They’re around but you just don’t see them.
    Today I got briefly rattled at while cruising down a rock garden on the bike. Went back to take a look and could neither stimulate a rattle nor see the snake. In my limited experience the local black and black tails usually retreat if you leave them alone.

Mojaves are assholes though and I expect W. Diamondbacks are the same.

On the dog walk yesterday, the male dog got 'snaked'. He jumped about 12" in the air, with all 4 feet, but it was only a stick.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    SC copperhead bite:

https://news.yahoo.com/hilton-head-w...170216898.html

Rattler ended up in the stats shack at a match in April, and a person took it out with a .38 and snake shot.
    Doesn't this seem like a lot of bites?

The Palmetto Poison Center, which tracks calls for snake bites, has received 42 calls so far this year, according to its director, Jill Michels.

That’s on par with last year, as Michels said the center had 43 snake bites calls by this time in 2020. Throughout the last year, the center handled 245 snake bite cases.

In May 2018, the center had received just 18 calls, The Island Packet reported at the time.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Today I got briefly rattled at while cruising down a rock garden on the bike. Went back to take a look and could neither stimulate a rattle nor see the snake. In my limited experience the local black and black tails usually retreat if you leave them alone.

Mojaves are assholes though and I expect W. Diamondbacks are the same.
    I think Westerns are more likely to try to disappear as well if you leave them alone. If not they’ll coil and strike if needed.

I’ve never dealt with Mojaves. I think they’re in high deserts/low mountains.

I’ve heard they are assholes. The vet who treated my dog said they’re bite is likely fatal to dogs and antivenin doesn’t work well. The vet said the majority of bites he treats are from Westerns.

ETA I was curious so I did some reading on Mohaves. Their range is a lot bigger in Arizona then I thought. I might have seen them and not known.
    Last edited by Coyotesfan97; 05-12-2021 at 02:41 PM.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I think Westerns are more likely to try to disappear as well if you leave them alone. If not they’ll coil and strike if needed.

I’ve never dealt with Mojaves. I think they’re in high deserts/low mountains.

I’ve heard they are assholes. The vet who treated my dog said they’re bite is likely fatal to dogs and anti venom doesn’t work well. The vet said the majority of bites he treats are from Westerns.
    I had one Mojave interaction and it was the first and only snake that actually advanced toward me aggressively!

It probably didn't help that a friend and I had just run it over with our bikes.

User Tag List