Thread: Using an optic on multiple rifles

Using an optic on multiple rifles

Do any of y'all use the same glass on multiple systems? What strategies do y'all use to make the transition easier? I'm using Bobro one piece bases to minimize shift… what else should I know?

Especially curious if this is viable for precision/hunting.

You have to rezero every time you switch, so you need an ultra-precise, repeatable optic and plenty of ammo. In theory you should be able to dial the corrections and have everything work properly, but that doesn't always work in practice.

You also have to pick one scope for everything you'll do with any of your rifles, which is a pretty tall order. And if that scope craps out, then all of your rifles are out of service.

It works better to dedicate a scope to each rifle, especially if ammo prices stay as high as they have been lately.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I've tried it a couple times in the past with quality mounts, marked turrets for different zeros on different rifles, the whole nine yards. Not worth the squeeze in my experience.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I agree with the experience of the above. Sounds doable in theory, but in practice you should still fire shots to ensure the zero is where it's supposed to be. I thought about doing it and instead all of my rifles ended up with their own scopes.

I would rather have two cheaper optics with two cheaper mounts on two rifles rather than splitting an optic with a more expensive QD system between two rifles.

The role for QD in my mind is switching optics between the same rifle but I think fixed mounts probably do as good a job.

I’m the kind of guy that has an extractor spring insert in my cup holder for two weeks and it sprouts into a $3K AR.

So buy more optics.

User Tag List