Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blue porch lights: "Light Ohio Blue"

Site Supporter
    Fuck it. LINK.

Goes well with my Back The Blue yard sign.

The more we let them silence us, the more folks who feel similarly will feel alone about it.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I too am in the fuck it crowd on this.

I live in a rural area in the very conservative south so my risk profile is not like those of you who live in urban areas or blue states, and I understand the point of those who choose not to go down this path to protect themselves and their property.

I am going to spend my last few years on the planet going out of my way to be even more confrontational on this issue and many others. I have that luxury and I am quite prepared for the consequences.

I have had a blue lives matter flag out at my front gate for about 2 years now. Last summer when this bullshit accelerated my wife suggested I upsize it to a 5'x3' version and we did. It is going no where. Every one of my neighbors on our rural road has stopped at some point to compliment it and one even bought her own for her gate.

I am sorry for those who live in parts of the country where you have to concern yourselves with this.

No virtue signalling for me, and certainly not in such a silly manner as this.

I really couldn't give af if left wing loonies don't like my support for, well, anything, but I'm having a hard time coming up with anything positive that will come from this.

If your property or home is vandalized, will this blue porch light cause them to investigate it any further than they normally would? I think we know the answer to that.

If you live someplace where only other thin blue line supporting conservatives live, is it really all that brave and noble to display it or the TBL flag? No, it's still just virtue signaling without any of the potential repercussions.

If you're over the age of 25 and you're still looking for ways to pick fights with people, I suggest some soul searching to discover the root cause of that, because it simply isn't normal behavior.

But, I go out of my way to avoid things that have no benefit to myself or my family. Ymmv.
    Last edited by Casual Friday; 05-13-2021 at 11:59 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    I really couldn't give af if left wing loonies don't like my support for, well, anything, but I'm having a hard time coming up with anything positive that will come from this.

If your property or home is vandalized, will this blue porch light cause them to investigate it any further than they normally would? I think we know the answer to that.

If you live someplace where only other thin blue line supporting conservatives live, is it really all that brave and noble to display it or the TBL flag? No, it's still just virtue signaling without any of the potential repercussions.

If you're over the age of 25 and you're still looking for ways to pick fights with people, I suggest some soul searching to discover the root cause of that, because it simply isn't normal behavior.

But, I go out of my way to avoid things that have no benefit to myself or my family. Ymmv.
    Maybe if the Silent Majority wasn't so silent, the current wave of Peaceful Protesting using violence and rioting might be easier to put down.

As for the picking fights bit... If you can't conceive of other reasons for a display of solidarity, I'm not going to try and explain it to you.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Maybe if the Silent Majority wasn't so silent, the current wave of Peaceful Protesting using violence and rioting might be easier to put down.
    Lol. You think a blue porch light is gonna help? The problem is much deeper than that.

As for the picking fights bit... If you can't conceive of other reasons for a display of solidarity, I'm not going to try and explain it to you.
    That's because there aren't any. At least any meaningful ones that amount to more than virtue signaling. It's no different when the left does it. If every home in the US suddenly had a blue porch light and TBL flag, it would do nothing. It's the equivalent of putting a "Free Tibet" bumper sticker on your Volvo wagon in the 90s.

Site Supporter
    Reading between the lines, I sense many of us support the police but choose not to be identified with them. The term virtue signaling was used. I do not see this term fitting this context. In my case when I do install a blue porch light, I am not communicating or bragging about my beliefs so as to receive praise. Instead I'm saluting the beat cop who drives by every night. If the damn light makes them feel better, then that is my goal. I admit that a blue porch light will not increase my risks. Of course, I'm nearing the end of my life span, and I don't give a shit about some of the stuff that younger persons do.

These things are meant for people who want to feel like they're doing something, but don't want to put in the work. All this blue light, "thank you for your service", "I bought a cop lunch" bullshit is for your own feels, not for the boys and girls on the line. You want to make a difference? You want to be something other than the silent majority? Push your state and federal legislators for more support. Get out and counterprotest. The latter worked pretty well for our city and we sent those fuckers packing. If you're going to change the color of your porch light at least use something that keeps the bugs away. Otherwise, don't waste everyone's time.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    These things are meant for people who want to feel like they're doing something, but don't want to put in the work. All this blue light, "thank you for your service", "I bought a cop lunch" bullshit is for your own feels, not for the boys and girls on the line. You want to make a difference? You want to be something other than the silent majority? Push your state and federal legislators for more support. Get out and counterprotest. The latter worked pretty well for our city and we sent those fuckers packing. If you're going to change the color of your porch light at least use something that keeps the bugs away. Otherwise, don't waste everyone's time.
    I volunteer (civilian) with my city PD. We do house checks, traffic at crash scenes, wait for wreckers so the real COPS can get drunks to jail and back on the road, and other stuff that doesn't require being sworn or more highly trained.

Does that make my blue porch light OK?

Putting aside the obvious reasons in favor of maintaining the "gray man" persona...some of the replies and arrogance in this thread is disappointing.

(I'll get over it...but nonetheless...)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List