Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: U.S. oil pipeline shut down by ransomware

Gotta wonder if this is a new position or a newly vacant one.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    From the Associated Press:

An outside audit three years ago of the major East Coast pipeline company hit by a cyberattack found “atrocious” information management practices and “a patchwork of poorly connected and secured systems,” its author told The Associated Press.

“We found glaring deficiencies and big problems,” said Robert F. Smallwood, whose consulting firm delivered an 89-page report in January 2018 after a six-month audit. “I mean an eighth-grader could have hacked into that system.”

How far the company, Colonial Pipeline, went to address the vulnerabilities isn’t clear. Colonial said Wednesday that since 2017, it has hired four independent firms for cybersecurity risk assessments and increased its overall IT spending by more than 50%. While it did not specify an amount, it said it has spent tens of millions of dollars.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Site Supporter

Dominion?
    "There are two ways to do most anything- right and again."

Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    Thanks for the deliberate mis-quote, and I guess subtlety is a lost art.

As an aside, no, killing foreign nationals and expecting it to accomplish anything is a non-starter. For it to work, you'd have to tell people about it. And if you're telling people you're going around popping foreign nationals that irritate you, you're in Putin/Kim territory. Remember the backlash over the Pakistant drone strikes? That times a hundred. Plus, what happens when you have to kill some dudes in London or Paris? It's a great idea if you read too many Tom Clancy novels, otherwise the problems are plainly obvious. Foreign intervention in defense of strategic interests works when you're parking slugs in the brainpans of the particular individuals that are causing the problem. It doesn't work as a deterrent. And expecting that you're going to just deter the entire world is foolish.

If you want to deal with the problem, you have to make it undesirable to support or abet these enterprises. And that is kind've a non-starter so long as people place cheap consumer goods above national security.
    I apologize if I misquoted, nothing intentional. Attacking a sovereign nation’s infrastructure, regardless of motive, in any manner, be it digitally or analog, be the perpetrator another sovereign nation or private group is an act of war. The response should equal to an act of war. Would you think differently if a group shut down a major oil pipeline within the US with explosives? Again, I can’t imagine this group or any other group choosing to commit this type of act against an energy provider in Israel. Bringing to justice the perpetrators, foreign or national, is the best deterrent. Also, no Clancy or Clancy-ish novels in my library.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    From Wall Street Journal:

Colonial Pipeline Co. paid a ransom to the criminal hackers who caused the company to shut down the country’s largest conduit of fuel, according to people familiar with the matter, a payment that allowed the firm to obtain decryption tools to try to unlock its computer systems.

The ransom, paid in cryptocurrency, was approximately $5 million at the time of the transaction, one of the people familiar with the matter said.

Bloomberg reported earlier Thursday that Colonial had paid the hackers a sum of nearly $5 million, and that the decryption tool ultimately wasn’t effective in restoring operations. Instead, Colonial was able to recover by relying on system backups, Bloomberg reported.
    The decryption tool not working is interesting. Companies will have no incentive to pay ransoms if they have no real expectation they'll be able to get their data back.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

I think hunting down and annihilating the scum (clandestinely) is a much better policy.

But that's why I'm not in the business.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Dark Territory: The Secret History of Cyber War

Really good reading if you're interested:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

User Tag List