Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: U.S. oil pipeline shut down by ransomware

The US gov't isn't going to retaliate because they don't know who to retaliate against. Even if they did they wouldn't do anything because these jokers are either in China, N. Korea or Russia. A military response is totally out of the question as we will see.

Just get ready for more shortages and be prepared to pay a lot more for everything.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    Check out the link showing Instances of Use of United States Armed Forces Abroad, 1798 - 2020:

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/R42738.pdf

As you scroll through the list note, how many uses of armed forces were for "protecting American interest." This is a list of only the documented and publicly known uses of forces abroad. An energy provider and the power grid are of vital American interest.

Think these DarkSide dudes would try and pull this kind of thing off with an energy company in Israel? I don't believe they would. They are doing it to this energy company, inside of this country, at this very moment in time for a reason.
    Exactly. And while Colonial may not have a John Clark type on the payroll I am sure they could find and hire one, but likely very concerned about the backlash when it leaks. So (perhaps) instead they go public with the shutdown, maybe hoping to push the .gov into doing what needs to be done. But again a huge potential backlash from the anti-energy, anti-business, anti-stomping on the enemy crowd. I wonder if the admin has what it takes to deal with this.
    Last edited by Snapshot; 05-11-2021 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    The US gov't isn't going to retaliate because they don't know who to retaliate against. Even if they did they wouldn't do anything because these jokers are either in China, N. Korea or Russia. A military response is totally out of the question as we will see.

Just get ready for more shortages and be prepared to pay a lot more for everything.
    I agree there will not be overt retaliation, or it will be inadequate.

But with the right thinking in the .gov – which is possible because there are plenty of very smart and very tough people still in there despite what may have happened at the political level – things could be done, and done in such a way as to strongly discourage the next / remaining dudes who think they can get away with this type of thing. And most of us will never know about it, which is fine - no need to make a fuss.

Site Supporter
    @farscott how are things looking up north? Down here in the ‘ham half the stations are sold out and there are lines into the streets at the stations that still have gas. The temporary panic has set in, I think the last time I saw lines like this was right before hurricane Ivan hit.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    @farscott how are things looking up north? Down here in the ‘ham half the stations are sold out and there are lines into the streets at the stations that still have gas. The temporary panic has set in, I think the last time I saw lines like this was right before hurricane Ivan hit.
    … and finally I know where away, away, away, down is located.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Can anyone tell me the where a bouts of Justin Trudeau during the cyber attack, maybe he is sending the President a message on the importance of the Keystone?

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    So far, we still have gas. Prices have increased by a dime overnight, lines are getting long, but not much in the way of shortages. I expect we will see $3.50 per gallon of regular in the next few days if the pipeline is not operational.

[ETA] Looks like I spoke too soon. Just heard from one of my team that two stations he stopped at were out of fuel. [/ETA]
    Last edited by farscott; 05-11-2021 at 07:46 PM.

The worst part about having to relive the Carter Years is that the music we have now really sucks.
    At least we had Steely Dan, the Who, Pink Floyd, Marvin Gaye, and similar to get us through the Malaise. Heck, I'd even take the BeeGees over the modern tripe.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by SD View Post
    Can anyone tell me the where a bouts of Justin Trudeau during the cyber attack, maybe he is sending the President a message on the importance of the Keystone?
    The Albertans are celebrating the East Coasters freaking out. It also puts Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer in a terrible spot on her threat to shutdown the Enbridge Line 5 crude oil supply to the East Coast. https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...ms/4996179001/

As for cyber speculation, I would suggest focusing on the government recommendations to prevent ransomware. No indications that Colonial was that special, just not serious. Many government agencies are failing too, City of Tulsa quite recently.

2020 incident - https://us-cert.cisa.gov/ncas/alerts/aa20-049a
    Colonial - https://us-cert.cisa.gov/ncas/alerts/aa21-131a

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    In TX, some people are filling up, even though we're at the supply end of the pipeline where the product that can't be shipped will pile up with nowhere to go.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List