Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: U.S. oil pipeline shut down by ransomware

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I'll swing by the garden supply place and pick up a bag of quicklime.
    I knew we could count on you!
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

"I've got a bad feeling in my bones about this..."
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I'll swing by the garden supply place and pick up a bag of quicklime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I knew we could count on you!
    Seems that using lime isn't a good idea,
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Seems that using lime isn't a good idea,
    I'm not reading that. How about we just pay off a friendly homicide investigator who just did 20 hours in uniform directing traffic at a gas station?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

" La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

I'm not reading that. How about we just pay off a friendly homicide investigator who just did 20 hours in uniform directing traffic at a gas station?
    I can get my hands on a backhoe, and maybe even an excavator.

Or

King Mackerel season is right around the corner and those fish love chum. We could go all Fargo on the perps and feed them to the Kings.

Site Supporter
    tempted.

Chris

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Somewhere, I read that a 2018 cyber security audit of them found that they were basically abysmal.

ETA: AP story on that.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    That isn’t the flip side. This is a national security crisis. They aren’t ransoming something like further production of Oreo cookies causing some Americans minor inconvenience. It’s a disruption of energy delivery which can be catastrophic. The flip side would be the US nationalizing energy and the power grid. That would be the flip side of having private companies operate while being protected by the US.

“The government should spend tax dollars to conduct extrajudicial murders of people that disrupt business interests."

Yes, agreed, true fact. America has been doing exactly that and protecting American interest since 1798. It’s one of the reasons we have a global military force currently deployed.
    Thanks for the deliberate mis-quote, and I guess subtlety is a lost art.

As an aside, no, killing foreign nationals and expecting it to accomplish anything is a non-starter. For it to work, you'd have to tell people about it. And if you're telling people you're going around popping foreign nationals that irritate you, you're in Putin/Kim territory. Remember the backlash over the Pakistant drone strikes? That times a hundred. Plus, what happens when you have to kill some dudes in London or Paris? It's a great idea if you read too many Tom Clancy novels, otherwise the problems are plainly obvious. Foreign intervention in defense of strategic interests works when you're parking slugs in the brainpans of the particular individuals that are causing the problem. It doesn't work as a deterrent. And expecting that you're going to just deter the entire world is foolish.

If you want to deal with the problem, you have to make it undesirable to support or abet these enterprises. And that is kind've a non-starter so long as people place cheap consumer goods above national security.

I'll bring the shovels.

Makes you wonder... sometimes you get the competent IT folks who fight the good fight against bad practices, and sometimes you get the Equifax Special (someone completely unqualified to work in the field much less set policy and make decisions).
    Grab your gun and bring in the cat.

User Tag List