Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: U.S. oil pipeline shut down by ransomware

U.S. oil pipeline shut down by ransomware

I ran into this news article that claims a major U.S. oil pipeline has been shut down by a ransomware attack:

https://www.theregister.com/2021/05/...ne_ransomware/

The article was uncertain on what, if any, effect this will have on fuel availability on the U.S. east cost. Besides, y'all do keep a full tank of gas in your vehicles, right?
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    I ran into this news article that claims a major U.S. oil pipeline has been shut down by a ransomware attack:

The article was uncertain on what, if any, effect this will have on fuel availability on the U.S. east cost. Besides, y'all do keep a full tank of gas in your vehicles, right?
    This is very bad in terms of fuel availability to the eastern and southeastern portions of the USA. Not just passenger vehicles; this impacts passenger jets as the Colonial pipeline also serves airports like Atlanta's Hartsfield (ATL). I topped off this morning on my way to the office per my usual practice and asked my wife to do the same with her vehicle. The last time the Colonial pipeline went down was from storm-related damage, and fuel prices doubled for a week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post

36 gallons on Friday
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    36 gallons on Friday
    You gotta get up pretty early in the morning to beat this guy...

There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    and asked my wife to do the same with her vehicle.
    My wife has a fuel genie that fills her car. I hear he looks just like me.

All jokes aside, I'm as far from the pipeline as possible, and premium was $4.699 yesterday. Or so the genie said.

So after my first thought of "Oh Hell!", my mind immediately went to thoughts of what kind of punishment would fit this crime, assuming they actually could catch someone?

Is this considered terrorism?

My source said “Their corporate network got hit with ransomware. Ironically the gang that did it realizes they screwed up and went after someone they shouldn’t have. I don’t think any of their pipeline infrastructure was impacted directly, but oil companies are all about ordering and billing. I bet those systems were impacted.”
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    So after my first thought of "Oh Hell!", my mind immediately went to thoughts of what kind of punishment would fit this crime, assuming they actually could catch someone?

Is this considered terrorism?
    Cyber terrorists. From Russia with love. We're moving back to the pre-internet stone age.

Joe better get a handle on this soon or just about anything automated by servers on the internet is going to be attacked.

My personal experience is with my bank. I won't go into details but they lost a lot of money through a cyber attack. A lot. Most people wouldn't believe me if I told them the amount and they sure as hell won't make that public knowledge.
    Last edited by Borderland; 05-10-2021 at 02:02 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    We need John McClane and a computer nerd stat.

I would be curious to hear from a cyber security expert what could theoretically be done to damage our systems and infrastructures in the event of a total cyber war.

Are we much more vulnerable than we think? It seems that F***ing about with supply chain logistics alone could send us into a scary place; so too local power supply networks. Does anyone here have the benefit of the real .gov perspective that is not classified that they could share?

I think given the CCP of China's mandate to take over Formosa, and given that they are alleged to reach a realistic capability to facilitate same between 2030-2050, I can see a scenario where their use of asymmetric warfare (such as cyber attacks) might be deemed an acceptable means of discouraging ANZAC/US/Japan military support for Taiwan.

User Tag List