Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mass. school bus driver arrested after students find gun on seat

Mass. school bus driver arrested after students find gun on seat

NORFOLK, Mass. — A school bus driver in Norfolk was arrested Friday after students found a handgun that police say he had accidentally dropped. David Tripp, 65, of Norfolk, faces charges including reckless endangerment of a child and carrying a firearm on a school campus. Police said the gun had fallen out of Tripp’s pocket while he was cleaning the bus. Police already confiscated the handgun and said it was loaded with seven rounds. Tripp’s license to carry a firearm has been suspended and any guns he owns are being seized. He was being held by Norfolk police and is expected to be arraigned Monday.
    https://bangordailynews.com/2021/05/...d-gun-on-seat/

Once again, it is the Estimable @Tamara with the money quote:

"Massachusetts, the cradle (and grave) of liberty."
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Once again, it is the Estimable @Tamara with the money quote:

"Massachusetts, the cradle (and grave) of liberty."
    I have to agree, if the part about seizing all his guns is correct. The job’s a job: he deserved to get fired, and I can see the powers that be suspending his CCW under the circumstances, harsh though it may be.

But how this gets turned into confiscating all his guns is a concept that escapes me.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

In NC, bringing a gun onto school property is a felony, so around here he'd definitely lose much more than his job and permit. Still, I have no idea if they confiscate guns from someone merely charged with a felony, and don't see how they could. But the ways of leviathan are not well known to me.
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

Phlster Enigma would have prevented this....

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I have to agree, if the part about seizing all his guns is correct. The job’s a job: he deserved to get fired, and I can see the powers that be suspending his CCW under the circumstances, harsh though it may be.

But how this gets turned into confiscating all his guns is a concept that escapes me.
    In Massachusetts you need a permit to own or possess any firearms. There are different classes of licenses, some of which allow the carry of firearms. If your license is suspended or revoked, any firearms you own are confiscated.. Also, in Massachusetts if you break certain laws, you loose your firearms license and all of your guns are confiscated.

I get that explanation, thanks for the detail, but it’s still a *concept* that escapes me.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I get that explanation, thanks for the detail, but it’s still a *concept* that escapes me.
    +1

This is the stuff that keeps the Sons of Liberty spinning in their graves.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Phlster Enigma would have prevented this....
    Training/proficiency would have prevented this.
    #RESIST

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Handgunlaw.us
    Places Off-Limits Even With a Permit/License
    Elementary/Secondary Schools - College/Universities
    MGL 269.10 (j) For the purposes of this paragraph, ''firearm'' shall mean any pistol, revolver, rifle or smoothbore arm from which a shot, bullet or pellet can be discharged.

Whoever, not being a law enforcement officer and notwithstanding any license obtained by the person pursuant to chapter 140, carries on the person a firearm, loaded or unloaded, or other dangerous weapon in any building or on the grounds of any elementary or secondary school, college or university without the written authorization of the board or officer in charge of the elementary or secondary school, college or university shall be punished by a fine of not more than $1,000 or by imprisonment for not more than 2 years or both. A law enforcement officer may arrest without a warrant and detain a person found carrying a firearm in violation of this paragraph.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

User Tag List