Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My initial impression of Gen 2 Galil Ace pistol in 7.62x39

I picked it up from the store today. I'm going to need/want a hand stop for the front of the handguard and I am waiting to get one of those 6 MOA Aimpoints so I put a borrowed holosun on it for now.

I will say everything on this gun is tight. Safety is tight, folding brace is tight, and the top cover is super tight. Before I took it off I was like "I don't know if I'd trust the top cover to mount a red dot on it." but after taking the top off to inspect the internals I think it will hold a zero. I have some Zataslava mags I got and the one I tried fits. I'm too tired to try them all right now. Going to take it out to shoot it this weekend.

Name:  PXL_20210604_021537383.jpg
Views: 3680
Size:  102.3 KB

Took my pistol to the range yesterday. First time shooting 7.62x39 and an AK pattern gun in a long time; less recoil than I remembered it having. Probably the most fun I've had shooting a gun in a while. There's like half a dozen reasons I would never use this for a class, match, or really any serious purpose but it's the most fun I've had shooting in a long time and that in and of itself has some value.

A few observations:

I used Magpul and Zatslava mags with a bolt hold open, only shot 120 rounds but zero issues so far except the bolt hold open follower didn't always hold the bolt open.

The muzzle flash was giant, If I were to use this in self defense and miss the target I will most defintely blind the bad guy. I need to find find something that tames that fireball a bit. Looking at some options now.

I was getting some trigger slap. Finger started to sting a bit. Can anything be done about that?

Handguard is slick, I ordered an SLR handstop and some of those BCM m-lok panels to add some texture to it.

I still really wish it came with back up iron sights. I know I can add them but it's a bummer I have to; if they were going to transition to the new handguard I imagine they could have easily designed it around the old irons without too much trouble.

double post

Sir,
    What is the rail you have mounted on your AR pistol in the pictures?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 19852+ View Post
    Sir,
    What is the rail you have mounted on your AR pistol in the pictures?
    Thanks
    Not an AR, it's a Galil ace Gen 2. I don't know if IWI makes it in house or if they outsource it.

https://iwi.us/product-category/fire...il-ace-gen-ii/

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Hey guys,

Did some swapping and picked up a Gen 2 Ace. Mainly I did it because I am buying anything imported these days. I had a Gen 1 and although I liked it, I sold it a buddy a few years back. I was excited to pick it up because 7.62x39 is RELATIVELY cheap ($7.99 for 20) to pick up right now so shooting 100 rounds is expensive, but basically what I was spending to shoot my AR pistol a year or so ago.

Spoiler alert: there is no reason to buy this gun if you have a Gen 1. I think almost everything about this gun is an improvement, but nothing earth-shattering.

Galil Ace 2 first outing by stoiclawyer, on Flickr

PRO

1. RAIL. It's nice. The old handguard was a bit portly and plasticky. The new one is much more comfortable. I think in full auto the original hand guard might have been more comfortable but in semi-auto the rail won't get warm enough to make a big difference. So basically, you have a nice place to put your hand. ALSO, the rail seems to be very solid so you actually might consider mounting your optic further forward and not have to worry about return to zero. Also, you have excellent sling options thanks to the sling swivel mounting holes.

2. Safety. Supposedly this is much better than the old one. They have shortened the throw but they have increased the leverage needed. I believe this is why they put the ledge on the right (AK) side. I think they increased the leverage needed so they wanted to put a bigger shelf. Honestly, it's ok, but nothing amazing.

3. They trimmed back the plastic around the mag well. I didn't believe it would be, but it is an improvement. It allows very easy mag changes. The old one acted as a sort of guide but the Galil has the best rock and lock system I have ever experienced (WAY, WAY, WAY better than any AK including my Saiga, Arsenal, Zastava, you name it).

4. They swapped to a non-proprietary brace/ AR buffer tube. See "con" below.

5. Trigger is fantastic. The ALG on my Saiga is a bit better but not worth changing. Frankly, it may be no better after I get more than 120 rounds down range.

6. VERY HIGH quality. Everything about it screams top-quality military construction. Nothing about this gun feels dinky. I have played with $1700 DD guns that had furniture that made me wince. This gun feels like it means business. The parts are all clean, well finished and well fit. IWI is not ripping folks off, this is a top-tier gun. Anyone that pays $1200 for a Zastava without brace and won't pay $1600 for this is smoking crack.

Galil Ace 2 Album by stoiclawyer, on Flickr

CON.

1. No irons. The old irons weren't great but they had tritium. The front sight was built in so you never had to worry about it. The rear was a solid bolt on unit but it was still mounted on the top cover which is lame. I ended up spending over $100 putting some low profile magpul sights on the gun.

2. The brace isn't really adjustable. The stock is on a non-proprietary tube but it won't adjust. You basically have to keep it in short mode if you want it to lock. I guess this is a concession to the unwritten LOP rule that ATF is playing around with. However, if this rule doesn't end up being a thing you can easily swap it out. Also, the current brace is shorter than the old brace

3. They have simplified the machining in the lower a bit. I notice that the listening cuts that disappeared in the 545 model are now gone for the 762x39 (see picture)

The gun was very easy to zero. I threw on a lightweight holosun circle-dot. I think any top cover optic needs to be light. after about 9 rounds I was able to zero the sights to the optic and get on with it. I am going to clean it tonight and then see how the zero is next week. I am mix of red army standard and tula. I shot about 3.5 moa. Before you laugh I need to note this is what I shoot with the ammo from my Arsenal and Saiga. That's about as good as I get with AK's shooting cheap ammo.

I noticed no ""over-gassing." I need to admit I like shooting HK-91s but honestly it recoils like an AK pistol with better ergos.

Who should buy this gun ? Gun aficionados. No question this gun at $1600 makes little sense in a world awash with cheap ARs. But if you are an AK guy come hell or high water I can't think of a better AK except for one thing. I WISH there was a way to mount an optic on a side rail. RSREGULATE figure this out. I just don't trust top cover optics.
    over time.

Galil Ace 2 first outing by stoiclawyer, on Flickr

Ghetto Slo-mo.

https://youtu.be/A-OYy8yJ4NY
    6th picture down, rifle/pistol on the right. Looks like an AR 15 to me.

[QUOTE=19852+;1230499]6th picture down, rifle/pistol on the right. Looks like an AR 15 to me.

That looks like a painted Centurion Arms C4 rail.

6th picture down, rifle/pistol on the right. Looks like an AR 15 to me.
    It wasn't clear who you were asking. Not idea on that handguard.

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    It wasn't clear who you were asking. Not idea on that handguard.
    Yes, my mistake. Apologies.

Yes, my mistake. Apologies.
    No worries I was just confused because I assumed you were asking me.

User Tag List