Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My initial impression of Gen 2 Galil Ace pistol in 7.62x39

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    7.62x39 is typically still going 2000fps+. It only loses 200 or so FPS over the 16 inch barrel. Although definitely a little less controllable I think the 762x39 is far superior to 545/556 in the super short formats.
    I did some internet research on my own and I was surprised to find that the 7.62x39 drops something like 20-24 inches at 300 yards out of a 16" barrel. I always thought about it as comperable to 5.56 but it really isn't at least as far as trajectory. Makes the case for the shortened barrel format even more appealing honestly because now I know there's almost no point to putting anything like an LPVO; might as well toss a red dot on it and keep it inside of 200 or most likely 100.

Now I just need to find one in stock somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    I did some internet research on my own and I was surprised to find that the 7.62x39 drops something like 20-24 inches at 300 yards out of a 16" barrel. I always thought about it as comperable to 5.56 but it really isn't at least as far as trajectory. Makes the case for the shortened barrel format even more appealing honestly because now I know there's almost no point to putting anything like an LPVO; might as well toss a red dot on it and keep it inside of 200 or most likely 100.

Now I just need to find one in stock somewhere.
    Fun fact:

7.62x39 has pretty comparable bullet drop to 8mm Mauser, so if you're ever looking to do a build with a Yugo ZRAK scope, the 8mm BDCs will work pretty well (within the context of what you're realistically going to be able to do with an SKS or AK to begin with).
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Fun fact:

7.62x39 has pretty comparable bullet drop to 8mm Mauser, so if you're ever looking to do a build with a Yugo ZRAK scope, the 8mm BDCs will work pretty well (within the context of what you're realistically going to be able to do with an SKS or AK to begin with).

That is interesting but I think I'd be looking at the 8" pistol like op so the scope wouldn't make much sense on there.

I have had no luck finding one yet (if anyone finds a good deal let me know) but this would be my first AK pattern gun in like 10 years so what are the good mags to get?

I have tried everything from 20-30 round mag plus, Serbian, Bulgarian , polish and Rando euro steel and they all work and fit nicely

I have tried everything from 20-30 round mag plus, Serbian, Bulgarian , polish and Rando euro steel and they all work and fit nicely
    Well that's promising. What sights are you using? I don't want to use AR sights they seem like they'd be too tall.

I'm seriously thinking CZ Scorpion sights would work. It's a massive bummer they didn't just include sights with it.

Well I found one locally for a surprisingly good price so I'm now in my state's waiting period.

I have magazines that got here today there was a memorial day sale on the Zatslava so those got here today.

Does the hand-guard have a QD socket in it? The pictures look like it does but I can't tell.

Does the hand-guard have a QD socket in it? The pictures look like it does but I can't tell.
    yes, up front on both sides

I did some internet research on my own and I was surprised to find that the 7.62x39 drops something like 20-24 inches at 300 yards out of a 16" barrel. I always thought about it as comperable to 5.56 but it really isn't at least as far as trajectory...
    The 7.62 Commie Dog shoots a slower bullet with more drag and its rainbow trajectory surprises you? You gotta cut back on the vodka!
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    The 7.62 Commie Dog shoots a slower bullet with more drag and its rainbow trajectory surprises you? You gotta cut back on the vodka!
    I had never looked into the round seriously before this thread.

User Tag List