Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CHPWS Issues

I think their plates are generally very good. I think their custom work is hit or miss, and my CORE slide is on the way back to me for the third time after the 509T plate keeps coming loose. I think their CS is more miss than hit.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I think their plates are generally very good. I think their custom work is hit or miss, and my CORE slide is on the way back to me for the third time after the 509T plate keeps coming loose. I think their CS is more miss than hit.
    Concur with all of this. Custom work was completed, but at 5x longer than the quoted lead time. Buck (the owner) was little to no help and at one point stated I was "acting like a Richard" when I asked for an adjustment from full price due to his failure to meet multiple stated delivery dates.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Hmm. Maybe CHPWS should focus more on getting their QC and CS issues worked out, rather than releasing a new Glock Gen5 butt plug.

Par for the course for firearms industry, good product means you grow by leaps and bounds, but don't mature as a business owner at the same rate.

Hope they get it dealt with and under control, before it becomes a huge problem.

Site Supporter
    I really like their plates, but try to avoid buying direct from them. The one mill job I had them do turned out good, although it was a month late and they lost my sights.

I had a similar experience ordering the G48 plate. However, the issue with mine was that the screws looked like they had been very poorly cut leaving the initial thread smushed into the second thread making it impossible to thread the screw. I emailed back to them and sent some messages via social media. They seemed upset with having to deal with me. In the meantime, I tried to find the screws to order on their website like you. Put what I needed in the notes, and got the wrong screws. When I messaged back, they seemed to get upset about me buying more screws. The replacement screws they sent also had one screw with the same poorly finished end. Thankfully, I could use the one good screw from each set to mount the optic. I see no difference in length to any of the screws, just poorly cut and finished ends. I haven't seemed to have the same issue as you describe. My extractor appears to be moving freely.

I don't diss a company for having an issue here or there. The most disconcerting thing to me about CHPWS is that you hear so many folks that have had a bad experience when reaching out about an issue. The company seems defensive when folks post anything negative about their experiences. I think I remember one video where the owner went so far as stating they would call out the customer that was reporting negatively on the company. And, while I can understand that a company could feel frustrated in getting bad press by people that hadn't reached out to them first and given them a chance to fix the issue, this came off almost bullying in nature towards customers that potentially had a complaint (regardless of its legitimacy).

Comparing it to Forward Control was night and day for me. I recently went with them for an ACRO plate because I put in an order for the P-2. I asked what size the mounting screws were, as I wanted to order a spare set due to my previous experience with CHPWS (no, I didn't mention that to Forward Control). I got a response within less than an hour stating they would send me a spare set with the plate I just ordered at no charge. Then, they gave me the size in case I wanted to get more later down the road. My package also included a little slip of paper that had the size (I don't know if they put this in as well for me special or if they all come that way). Overall, it was just a much more positive experience for me as a consumer. The next time I go to get a plate, it will be from Forward Control again, simply because of the way they treated me.

If I could have a moment to speak with the CHPWS owner, it would be to tell him that I think the quality of his plates and their design seem great, but that the customer support that they provide could use improvement. I would also say that the majority of issues that I see about CHPWS seem to be complaints on slide cuts and what feels like a lack of care in dealing with customers, their supplied property, and communication. I think that there seems to be enough of this similar feedback online that I think it would behove him to take a look at it and work towards improving these things. I think it would help his business. I thought about sending these thoughts to him after my experiences. However, based on how my initial requests for assistance were handled along with what I have witnessed, I was hesitant to share any more of my thoughts/concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    I ordered a G48 plate for an RMRcc.

When I received it, there was no instructions or anything. Everything looked good, so I set up the base and started assembling parts. Took it to the range to sight in and had a malfunction: the ejector was locked in a position that was about 45 degrees to the slide. Wouldn't return to it's normal place. Had to take the sight off (thankfully the dudes in the gunshop let me use their allen wrench, because I didn't bring mine), loosen the screw over the extractor depressor plunger to release pressure on it, and everything within the slide was good to go. Problem is - one screw of the base is tightened down and the other isn't, and despite a healthy amount of VC-3 threadlocker, the base will come loose within 50 shots and I can't get a group anymore.

I e-mailed CHPWS. Didn't hear from them from over a week until I got in touch with them via Instagram DM. Finally, they say "one screw is shorter than the other" (they looked identical to me, must be a couple of thousandths shorter).

So I switched screws (it was easy to tell which was the original right hand screw - it was shiny from the plunger rubbing on it), fresh application of VC-3, torqued to 10 inch pounds. Remember, there were no instructions with this kit and I was going off the instructions I did get with the Holosun to G19 MOS. This time I was smart enough to try moving the extractor with my finger rather than having a live round do it. Nope, same issue. So I un-threaded it about 1/8th of a turn and have been shooting it like that. Well... as before the base comes loose. Been a frustrating experience.

So I ordered some replacement screws, thinking maybe they accidentally send two screws of the same length and if I ordered a replacement kit, I'll get the right ones. I added the RMR/SRO Glock MOS screws because I couldn't find anything for the RMRcc & G43x/G48. In the notes section I put "for the Glock 48 MOS and RMRcc".

Attachment 71239

A few days later, I get the wrong screws. I realized that could happen, so I sent them an e-mail via their contact form for online orders:
    https://chpws.com/contact#1618878055047-d4271673-3baf

I was neutral (not angry nor positive) and to the point. I told them the issue and that their other products have been awesome for me (a RECCE RMR polymer plate and a Holosun to G19 plate)

It's been at least (if not over) a week and I still haven't heard from them. I've been hearing some people having issues with CHPWS, and thought I'd put in my experiences as well. I like these guys and their products, and while I'm not bad-mouthing them, I think folks need to be aware of the potential issues before they order.

@GJM @LittleLebowski - can this be moved to the Red Dot area?

The screws included with my CHPWS G48 MOS/507k plate were also poor quality and the head on one started deforming well before the clutch slipped on my torque wrench. Instead of emailing them, I just called. The lady on the phone was really nice, saying not to worry about it and that things like this happen. She sent me a whole new mounting kit including another plate so I'm satisfied that they took care of my issue. I would insist on calling from this one interaction alone.

Just FWIW, when I encounter crap fasteners that are a standard size, I just toss them and get high quality made-in-USA ones. I generally just get a box from McMaster so I'll have extras for next time, but you could get onesies from one of the industrial supply places that has retail outlets (Fastenal, Tacoma Screw, ...).

(I'm not saying that companies shouldn't spend the extra 11 cents and put in good fasteners from the start, just that many don't, and life is too short to deal with bad fasteners)

Knock on wood, my only personal experience with them so far is ordering a plate which came with all the required pieces and instructions and shipped quickly. Based on the stories I have heard from others’ experiences, I would hesitate to send them any of my own property in hopes of getting it back as or when expected.

Im just going to re-post this here since it appears to have been largely missed in the glock plug thing thread and this thread is gaining more traction again

this has been making the rounds on FB. Sounds like they need to make an official announcement
    TL: DR: Unexpected growth + poor hiring. Should be better now

“All,
    It's taken four days to craft this email. Why? Pride. LOTS OF PRIDE!
    The past four years have been like living in a hurricane. The pace of business slowly picks up speed, we think we can accommodate everyone's needs, then the wind speed picks up and you know you're in choppy seas, you make fixes, then things calm down, only to find out that was just the eye of the hurricane and you're in for round two of even worse weather.
    If you want to hear a story about uncontrollable growth, fathom this for a brief second; C&H Precision has grown 781% over this same time last year and 3,228% over this same point in time two years ago.
    I have poured my heart and soul into building a reputable brand over the past 10 years here at C&H Precision and in just a few short months, our reputation has been stained by a combination of events. 1. Bad hiring decisions due to lack of workforce during COVID. 2. Insufficient training of these new employees by myself due to lack of time or too much trust in the skills they claimed on their resume. 3. Lack of "give a shit" by several staff members (They either don't have a passion for the job or they lost the passion for the job). 4. Lastly and most important, Lack of Leadership and Mentoring of staff by myself. 15 months ago I knew I needed help and tried to hire a General Manager but the person my company needed and I wanted declined my offer so I continued to attempt to do everything myself.
    Over the past four years the biggest challenge has been hiring the right staff. We made the mistake of hiring some staff and thinking we could train them to be great, however, even with great training, if they don't possess or have the right attitude, the only thing they did was collect a paycheck and become great at masking mediocre work as high quality work which then ends up coming back to us to re-work or fix again.
    Over the past four months we've made some major changes behind the scenes. After seeking out some mentoring from several of my previous bosses from within my time in the DC area, they each reminded me that my most valuable skill set was not in the running or managing staff and day to day operations, but in solving technical issues, designing and developing new concepts or products, and collaborating with users or groups to solve urgent needs of operational forces.

The Fix Is In!
    Change Of Command / New General Manager:
    In Feb we hired Dana Smith from NineLine. She has over 20 years of experience in everything from retail sales, to managing a large sales and production staff, production operations, sales and warranty operations within the firearms industry. She now runs and manages all day to day operations. Having her experience and outside perspective is helping us to streamline processes and improve efficiencies and get us to a place where we can continue to manage the growth of the business.
    Within her first few weeks she has become the catalyst for positive change and has implemented many new changes and improvements to the company.

New Production Manager:

In March we hired Chesnee Holly, the older of my three children. Over the past six years she has been studying Mechanical Engineering and Engineering Operations Management at Michigan State University. She might be young but she's interned with us and Bergara over the past five years and she's got the 'It' factor and is fantastic at planning and organizing operations. With the changes she put in place:
    Chesnee has been focused on revamping the production schedule to increase productivity and have better inventory tracking. This will only get better once we have fully integrated the new ERP software. We have also eliminated waste of both time and materials through the new processes she has been implementing.

Screw Packing Machine:
    The first thing Dana identified when we came aboard for the massive output of labor to pack screws for every package. She immediately began a search for a fix. She found a company in China and within four weeks we'll have a new machine that sorts, counts, weighs, and marks every bag of screws for our production line. Here is the video of the machine they made for us. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y89G9KSsFqo
    ERP Software:
    Over the past two months we've been integrating a new ERP system so we can better track every single aspect of slide milling and plate production. This software package will take a few months to start working efficiently but it's going to help tremendously.

Getting Our House in Order:
    Over the past six weeks we've cleaned house. All employees identified as not being able to produce quality work or those lacking the proper "Give A Shit" are gone. We have redefined job roles and responsibilities to ensure we have the right people focused on the right things.
    Marketing / Social Media Manager:
    We recently hired a veteran Marine who graduates from SCAD today. He's extremely talented with social media, video production, photography and marketing.
    Web Page:
    We retained the services of a Beyond The Brand Media to completely revamp our web page for a better user experience.

Family Owned and Operated Business:
    We are a small family owned and operated business and we take this very seriously. Between Dana and I we have five children, 9, 14, 16, 22, and 24 and every single one of them works within our company either part time or full time.
    We are not a company run by an MBA shirt and tie guy, nor are we a bureaucracy that takes weeks, months or years to change. We pride ourselves as leading from the front, being in the trenches everyday and we often make changes to a process immediately as needed to improve our customer experience.

The Ask:
    I'm asking each of you to trust me, trust my instincts and trust my team. We are not perfect, we're never going to be perfect, but we will always strive to be somewhere close to perfect.
    If any of you, any of your colleagues or anyone you know feel they have not been serviced properly, have an issue, hear of an issue, or need assistance in any way, please contact me directly and Dana and I will ensure the issue is resolved ASAP.
    Thank you for your business and your endless support. I apologize if I've caused any of you any issues but I assure you we are doing everything in our power to make the proper changes and upgrades so none of these issues happen in the future.
    Buck Holly - Owner
    C&H Precision Weapons LLC
    459 Edsel Drive
    Richmond Hill GA 31324
    buck.holly@chpws.com
    www.chpws.com
    W: 912-445-5803”

User Tag List