Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CHPWS Issues

CHPWS Issues

I ordered a G48 plate for an RMRcc.

When I received it, there was no instructions or anything. Everything looked good, so I set up the base and started assembling parts. Took it to the range to sight in and had a malfunction: the ejector was locked in a position that was about 45 degrees to the slide. Wouldn't return to it's normal place. Had to take the sight off (thankfully the dudes in the gunshop let me use their allen wrench, because I didn't bring mine), loosen the screw over the extractor depressor plunger to release pressure on it, and everything within the slide was good to go. Problem is - one screw of the base is tightened down and the other isn't, and despite a healthy amount of VC-3 threadlocker, the base will come loose within 50 shots and I can't get a group anymore.

I e-mailed CHPWS. Didn't hear from them from over a week until I got in touch with them via Instagram DM. Finally, they say "one screw is shorter than the other" (they looked identical to me, must be a couple of thousandths shorter).

So I switched screws (it was easy to tell which was the original right hand screw - it was shiny from the plunger rubbing on it), fresh application of VC-3, torqued to 10 inch pounds. Remember, there were no instructions with this kit and I was going off the instructions I did get with the Holosun to G19 MOS. This time I was smart enough to try moving the extractor with my finger rather than having a live round do it. Nope, same issue. So I un-threaded it about 1/8th of a turn and have been shooting it like that. Well... as before the base comes loose. Been a frustrating experience.

So I ordered some replacement screws, thinking maybe they accidentally send two screws of the same length and if I ordered a replacement kit, I'll get the right ones. I added the RMR/SRO Glock MOS screws because I couldn't find anything for the RMRcc & G43x/G48. In the notes section I put "for the Glock 48 MOS and RMRcc".

Name:  Screenshot 2021-05-09 112325.jpg
Views: 2132
Size:  23.6 KB

A few days later, I get the wrong screws. I realized that could happen, so I sent them an e-mail via their contact form for online orders:
    https://chpws.com/contact#1618878055047-d4271673-3baf

I was neutral (not angry nor positive) and to the point. I told them the issue and that their other products have been awesome for me (a RECCE RMR polymer plate and a Holosun to G19 plate)

It's been at least (if not over) a week and I still haven't heard from them. I've been hearing some people having issues with CHPWS, and thought I'd put in my experiences as well. I like these guys and their products, and while I'm not bad-mouthing them, I think folks need to be aware of the potential issues before they order.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

I had a more minor experience with them. I ordered two V4 plates for my Glock 19s. In the mail I only got one plate but I had two invoices: one for me with my order for 2 plates and one from some other dude in Florida for one plate. I assume Florida Man got an extra plate for free. I emailed them regarding the situations with both my order numbers and Florida Man's order numbers and they sent out an extra one right away. Something is wrong with that place. They seem to work hard to innovate and market but fall behind in execution and delivery. I like their stuff though.

If you go looking, there are several threads on other forums about this sort of thing and their handling of it.

When I sent an optic in, they returned the optic outside its optic box, rattling orotund in the cardboard box. I guess that was the test for durability. Go Holosun! 😃. Execution on customer service is spotty as stated above.

Jeez… After I ordered and received my Holosun 509t plate for my 19.5 MOS I happen to see some serious CS and QC issues with CHPWS stuff across the net. Luckily all seems well so far from function testing. Kinda glad I didn’t see the reviews before ordering since there are not many options to mount this setup that I know of. I probably would have switched to an RMR footprint to be safe.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage Hands View Post
    Jeez… After I ordered and received my Holosun 509t plate for my 19.5 MOS I happen to see some serious CS and QC issues with CHPWS stuff across the net. Luckily all seems well so far from function testing. Kinda glad I didn’t see the reviews before ordering since there are not many options to mount this setup that I know of. I probably would have switched to an RMR footprint to be safe.
    They are the only game in town I know of for that plate. Mine took over four weeks to arrive after I bought it, and it showed in stock at the time. It took weeks for the shipping email.

Luckily it seems to work great.

I ordered a couple of plates from them, one shipped and the other did not even though it was on the bill of lading and showed as having been shipped. Bizzarely they asked me to fill out the warranty form on their web site explaining the problem and claimed they would act on it to get my other plate to me. So far no result.

This is a poorly run outfit and good for them they are the "only game in town" for some of their products.

Site Supporter
    I’ve ordered three plates from them, replacement screws and a torque kit. All communications have been excellent and the products have been as described and shipped quickly. Sorry to hear about some of your experiences - could be growing pains for a small business in demand maybe.

I ordered a V4 polymer Defender for my 507c direct from CHPWS in February. It was shipped immediately. Unfortunately, due to my mis-reading the web site on the ordering options, I apparently hit the wrong button and got one for an RMR. I had to return it for the correct plate for the Holosun.

Communications with CHPWS was good, just needing a couple voice mail tag ups to clarify my return. The correct plate was shipped quickly.

Unfortunately, I misread the install instructions (despite it being required you to click "ok, I read these instructions" when you order) when it arrived. I used their install video for the aluminum (not the polymer one) plate. As a result, I overtorqued the screws attaching the polymer to the slide, deforming the plate chamfer, as the screws drove into and through the plastic, destroying the plate.

My bad; I made a $70 mistake.

I did advise CHPWS of what I had done. I was not offered any adjustment or replacement, even at my (further) cost, which is fine. In hindsight, I am unsure about the durability of a polymer plate in this particular application anyway. Others seem to have no issue with it. I'm sure they know more about plate design than I do.

I decided that I didn't want another plate from CHPWS, so I ordered a Forward Controls OPF-G, RMR plate. For about the same price as the V4 Defender, you get a well-engineered full width, nitride-coated steel plate with recoil lugs/fences. Although to be fair to FC, they indicate they do not support Holosun, but the fit is superb, needing just slight pressure to fit my 507c onto the optic after fitting the optic to the slide with 15 in lb screws. I'm extremely happy with it.
    Last edited by RJ; 05-09-2021 at 03:53 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I had a more minor experience with them. I ordered two V4 plates for my Glock 19s. In the mail I only got one plate but I had two invoices: one for me with my order for 2 plates and one from some other dude in Florida for one plate. I assume Florida Man got an extra plate for free. I emailed them regarding the situations with both my order numbers and Florida Man's order numbers and they sent out an extra one right away. Something is wrong with that place. They seem to work hard to innovate and market but fall behind in execution and delivery. I like their stuff though.
    I've had good experience with them so far and I know of at least two large federal agencies which are specifying their plates over factory for use with the Glock MOS system.

Best guess is they are experiencing growing pains which, IME, is more common than not in the gun industry.

One data point, which may or may not be relevant: On a podcast a while back, the owner of CHPWS mentioned that he employs a lot of apprentices from local high schools and trade schools. While this is a good thing overall, youngsters in this age group tend to need more supervision than other workers.

User Tag List