Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mounting A Light on a Remington 700

Mounting A Light on a Remington 700

Headed down to Texas to shoot pigs in a few months and the rancher tells me that I should mount a light on my rifle. It's a 700 Remington.

What do you guys recommend for the light and for the mount?

Thanks,

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I have has a small bit of Weaver rail screwed to the fore end of many bolt rifles. For something less permanent, electric tape a Surefire to the fore end, like I did with a .375 in Africa on a leopard hunt.

See the rail on the left hand Marlin.

Name:  1E5B98C0-3294-4308-B751-68934AF89E6E.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  27.6 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

GJM beat me to it, but I guess you could mount a Picatinny rail on the bottom of the stock where the sling stud sits and mount the light to the rail?!?

I ended up with a shot leopard after dark, with this rifle, and taped a 6P to it before following up.

Name:  F29135E9-514F-42F1-833F-63FD1E837637.jpeg
Views: 254
Size:  61.1 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Thanks.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

How much $$ do you want to spend?

Get a Magpul Hunter stock and you have all sorts of light mounting options.

https://magpul.com/firearm-accessori...obal_color=118
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Assuming you're using a decently rigid stock, and further assuming that the stock is not bedded to provide pressure on the barrel at the tip of the barrel channel, you might consider chiseling a recess into the bottom of the barrel channel at the tip sufficient to accommodate a length of Picatinny rail. You can then epoxy the rail into the recess leaving however much you want protruding from the tip of stock. That will give you a mount right at 6 o'clock that doesn't interfere with your sling swivel and is less likely to slam into your hand under recoil. I saw this in a Phil Shoemaker article in Rifle magazine some years back. I believe the title was "A Guide's Rifle" or something along those lines.

If you add a pictanny rail you can mount a light using a one inch scope ring to mount a Surefire light like a G2x.

Get a single output model like this one.

https://www.amazon.com/SureFire-Tact...80&sr=8-9&th=1

If this is temporary you can us a mount that attaches to a sling swivel, like this.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016956741

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post

If this is temporary you can us a mount that attaches to a sling swivel, like this.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016956741
    I have one of the mounts linked above. In my opinion, it is the perfect middle ground between screwing a rail to your rifle stock and taping a light to your gun. It's worked well enough on the Marlin .22 bolt gun I've used as an after dark varmint defense rifle. I think the mount and the TLR light cost more than I paid for the rifle.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I’ve added pic rails to a few of my rifle stocks. All were at the 6 o’clock spot because they were for mounting bipods. If I remember right, used an Mlok section of rail with the mating surface ground flat. I then marked and drilled 2 holes for the bolts. I counter sunk the holes on the inside of the stock with a forstner bit so the nuts wouldn’t touch the barrel.

Is your stock wood or synthetic? I figure since the light isn’t a real heavy, high impact component, you might get away with just screwing into you stock!?!?

User Tag List