Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kershaw Leek alternative?

Kershaw Leek alternative?

I was forced to leave my wife’s Kershaw Leek behind recently and was about to just order up a replacement for her (along with the deep carry clip I had installed) when it occurred to me that maybe there was a better option?

She really seems to like the assisted opening aspect, and the overall blade and handle length seemed good for her, so it’s probably best to just stick with that but if there’s something markedly better in a similar price range...
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Speaking as someone with a Leek clipped to his pocket right now, I think it's a perfectly reasonable choice and I'm not about to try to talk you out of replacing a lost one with a fresh copy, but I am curious to see what people suggest as alternative choices.

I do not think there is no good replacement for a Kershaw Leek, besides another Leek. The Leek is a bit like the Spyderco Delica, it's a staple of the line, because it's near perfect.

Not that anyone needs excuses to buy knives around here, but the 'Kershaw Guy' goes over to the factory and scoops up a lot of blems/factory seconds and sells them at a pretty good discount - https://kershawguy.com/products-page...ctory-seconds/

What about XXXX-marked Kershaw blems?

Name:  Leek.jpg
Views: 984
Size:  47.4 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I do not think there is no good replacement for a Kershaw Leek, besides another Leek. The Leek is a bit like the Spyderco Delica, it's a staple of the line, because it's near perfect.

Not that anyone needs excuses to buy knives around here, but the 'Kershaw Guy' goes over to the factory and scoops up a lot of blems/factory seconds and sells them at a pretty good discount - https://kershawguy.com/products-page...ctory-seconds/
    I didn't need another knife, but I've got a blem Leek on the way now. Dammit, Rob!

Site Supporter
    There are various Civivi knifes that review well. Often D2 or better steel, G10 scales etc in the Leek sub 50.00 space.
    Not assisted but the flippers are all reported to be quite smooth.

I confess that I am not an assisted fan and I reject most goods made in the PRC out of hand such that a made in the USA Leek would be hard to beat if it is already “vetted”.

I would buy first quality for her on pure principle as the 15.00 max is not a game changer and I would never want to hear any ya ya about buying something less good for her v myself etc.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I didn't need another knife, but I've got a blem Leek on the way now. Dammit, Rob!
    I got the shipment email about an hour and a half after placing the order. I know that only means the label was produced, but still, on a Sunday afternoon, that's pretty quick!

When I read the title, before I read the full post, the first thing that popped in my head was a Delica. But with the desire for assisted opening, that drops the Delica. Now, I pretty much got nothing except just buy another Leek.

I don’t own a Leek. I’m not crazy about assisted opening (and for some reason I’m lukewarm on flippers also). I will say I am a big fan of having a folder with a blade a bit shorter than 3” where the overall look of the knife doesn’t look “tactical.” The Delica and the Leek both fit that role fairly well.

@rob_s

If she can do without the assisted opening and you don’t mind dropping the extra coin on one, Spyderco’s Para 3 LW is a great knife. Deep carry clip, good steel, compression lock, very light, and a 3” blade. I bought one for my wife about a year ago and that was the most expensive friggin knife I ever bought because it turned her into a knife nut....

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I was forced to leave my wife’s Kershaw Leek behind recently and was about to just order up a replacement for her (along with the deep carry clip I had installed) when it occurred to me that maybe there was a better option?

She really seems to like the assisted opening aspect, and the overall blade and handle length seemed good for her, so it’s probably best to just stick with that but if there’s something markedly better in a similar price range...
    Kershaw Packrat would be a good contender. I believe it's been discontinued by now, but wouldn't be too tough to find.

Same weight and length as a Leek, has assisted opening flipper and regular thumb studs for opening. IMO it is superior in several ways.

The grip is G-10 and the flipper doubles as a good choil guard.

This overall makes it safer knife to cut with, there's way less chances of slipping onto the blade while using it. I feel more comfortable handing it off to non-knife people when the need comes up.

The shape is also more comfortable than the Leek, but that's personal preference.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Thanks for the suggestions, or re-assurances, guys.

I went ahead and ordered a new Leek. The old one was a green handle so silver lining here was that I had an excuse to order up an all-black version for her as I know the green wasn’t her favorite.

Of course, if it was entirely up to me I’d have bought and all-silver so I could quit losing the damn thing, but it’s not my knife...

I did get the silver deep-carry clip off of EBay, so I guess that’s one compromise.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List