Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kershaw Leek alternative?

Site Supporter
    The Leek is a good knife, and not too expensive. If that’s what she likes, then that’s what you should get her.

That said, I like the Spyderco Sage more than the Delica or Leek.

Late to the game, but I'd have offered up the Oso Sweet:

https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Pocke...s%2C195&sr=8-1

I got my wife one several years back. No studs, only a flipper, and the clip doesn't look so much like a knife clip.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I love my Leek, but do prefer a blade with some belly to it. Have been carrying one of the Kershaw Emerson licensed knives for a year or so. Don't really need the pocket catch opening, but it's been a great all purpose knife. The Leek has become my "going to church" knife while the "Emerson" gets worked.

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I do not think there is no good replacement for a Kershaw Leek, besides another Leek. The Leek is a bit like the Spyderco Delica, it's a staple of the line, because it's near perfect.
    And although I won't buy another new Benchmade, the Mini Griptilian is another in that category. Of all three, the Leek is the one that WILL open up PDQ even if an old cat fumbles things... that can be good or bad. If I had to dedicate one of the three for pocket carry on a casual walks in case of a confrontation, it would be the Leek.

They are useful, nice folders that don't break the budget yet still have some style. We always keep a Leek or an old USA-made Zing handy in the kitchen for grungy tasks to spare "better" knives, but the truth is that the other knives aren't so much better as simply more expensive.

Leek tips are not real tolerant of abuse, but that can be said of many knives.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    Yeah, it's a pretty fine point. I wouldn't want to use it to pry with, but prying is not, IMO at least, what knives are for, outside of desperate circumstances where no other tool is available, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post

I am with the cat here; I no longer have the Leek I bought for specifically this reason. I found the tip especially fragile.

Being a knife minimalist, all I have is a Spyderco Dragonfly2 for carry most of the time with a Mini Grip (old style) in my "drawer of useful stuff" to deal with recalcitrant Amazon boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    a Mini Grip (old style) in my "drawer of useful stuff" to deal with recalcitrant Amazon boxes
    Mini Grips are good for that. Here at Schloss der Katzen, the task is often performed with a USA-made Zing* having orange (!) scales... the color is easy to see amidst the usual countertop clutter. The tip is a wee bit more robust than the Leek. The Leek is, however, the blade of choice to specifically poke holes in plastic wrap, tapes & assorted packaging materials when the need arises, and I find it easy to control with my fingertip out on the spine as a stop to keep the blade from going too far into the package during a long draw cut once the tip goes through the tape.

*We were disappointed when production of the Zing went to the PRC. An underrated knife when introduced... maybe due to the scalloped sides of the blade.
    gn

Site Supporter
    Certainly not as delicate a blade but,
    I've read rave reviews on the Ontario Rat
    pocket knives for years and just keep on
    buying ZT's, Spyderco's, CRK, Emerson's etc.
    A few months ago I Picked up a Rat 2 in D2
    and was quite impressed, then I got a Rat 1
    in Aus 8 ... and found they live up to the
    reviews, great inexpensive knives (not to be
    confused with cheap), mine have come sharp
    out of the box with a pretty even edge that
    touches up well on my sharp maker, mine fly open.
    More often than not I have a Rat in my pocket
    at work, I use it like I don't care if it breaks,
    neither have and if / when one does, I'll order
    another that day.
    Not fancy but a user bargain.

I see the need has been satisfied with another Leek, but if anyone is looking again, I'd recommend the metal-scaled Kershaw Dividend (they have an FRN scaled version). I read somewhere that the Dividend was to fix Leek shortcomings. A little bigger form factor, but the clip option is 4-way compatible. I contact Kershaw for the deep carry clips. I love my Leek that my father gave me, but I carry my Dividend.

Best, Jerry
    "Draw fast, shoot well," Mike W.

Since our last reply to the thread, we bought a Random Leek Blackwash just to have one. Impulse buy.

I tend to avoid tanto blades and have been ambivalent about reverse tanto blades, but this new acquisition impresses me as a Leek that has just a tad more "insurance" at the tip of the blade without otherwise screwing up what makes the Leek appealing. This might become the new "favorite" Leek.
    gn

User Tag List