Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: EDC perspective......

The fire fighter just had a 5-shot snubbie! IIRC Tom Givens calls that a "one bad guy gun". He had a lot of heart to draw a snub against three armed guys that had the drop on him but it went about how you'd think it would. It sucks, and some battles you maybe just can't win every time. A higher cap gun might have given him a better chance but maybe he was already dead before his gun ran dry. Not great odds I'm afraid.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. - Richard Feynman
    When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist.- Archbishop Helder Câmara

There are no universal rules when it comes to carrying tools on your person everyday. And what works for one may not work for another. Whatever I do probably isn't what most people will do and certainly isn't likely to be a best practice for anyone except me.

At best, it's a suggestion/model you can follow or investigate for yourself - which is how folks should view all of these things.

I like Ed Calderon a lot. I will never carry cigarettes to give to anyone to start a conversation. That is not my style, it works for Ed and the kinds of things he does, but it doesn't mesh with anything I do or how I interact with people.

I'm reminded of one of the general warning @SouthNarc gives before teaching the MUC portion of a Shivworks class, "As you escalate your vocalizations, you can use profanity. BUT only do this if you regularly use profanity already. Folks can tell when you're trying to swear to sound tough vs. you're swearing to emphasize a point and it is part of who you are."

In a similar vein, Yousef Badou - https://www.emergencedisrupt.com/about/ - notes that in cases he has observed, there is close to a 100% correlation between inconsistent movement and actions and victimization. In other words criminal actors are often dissuaded by consistent, confident, movements and actions, because they recognize that those actions are part of someone who will fight back.

In other words, you do you and you should emphasize gear choices that you are most competent, confident, and capable with.

For some folks (e.g., me), that means never worrying about concealment, because they chose a small pistol. In turn, they emphasize training with a small gun almost to the exclusion of larger guns to balance everything out. As a case in point, in the last month, I've done 2x a week of dryfire with my LCP for 8 total sessions and zero with any other pistol. I've done two sessions with a long gun to maintain familiarity with my home-defense weapon of choice.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Distinctly possible that I'm going to hop on the 9mm LCR bandwagon here in the near future.

But otherwise, a small gun (LCP), one spare mag, a pocket knife (UTX-85 or Invictus ATC), a Clinch Pick, a midget sap (sometimes), and a flashlight.

Of course COVID essentials are present too.

Far more important to my day-to-day life is an epipen and a first aid kit, which are staged in every vehicle, on each floor of the house, in the garage, and in my EDC bag. In fact, the only real reason to carry a bag anymore at all is for medical/preparedness gear, to hold water, and dog treats.

Attachment 71236

Nice gear, RR - I also have a 2-pack of EPIPENs on my belt. King of the thread drifters here: What's your take on "murder hornets?"
    "We are the domestic pets of a human zoo we call civilization."

Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival."

I went to Home Depot at 7 this morning and this is all I took. I had a reload in the truck. I hope you guys forgive me. Attachment 71662

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    Nice gear, RR - I also have a 2-pack of EPIPENs on my belt. King of the thread drifters here: What's your take on "murder hornets?"
    My murder hornet solution:

Name:  XProducts-XM42-Flamethrower-Lite-Black-1__97103.1616609426.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  25.4 KB

My understanding is, unless you have a beehive nearby you probably won't have too much of a risk running into them. They establish colonies in wooded/shaded areas and prey pretty much exclusively on insects or eat tree sap. It seems like, "Don't fuck with it" is a good solution. And carry an epipen. Most of the folks who die from the stings appear have an anaphylactic shock. Though my understanding is lots of stings can cause organ failure. One sting alone isn't supposed to be sufficient to kill you, unless you have an allergic reaction.

So uhh...don't fuck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    I went to Home Depot at 7 this morning and this is all I took. I had a reload in the truck. I hope you guys forgive me. Attachment 71662
    Unpossible, it must be your ghost typing this or you're dead and you don't even know it, kilt in the streetz.

Y'all, I went outside earlier, in the heart of the urban south side of Chicago, with only this on my person. I'm actually dead right now.

Name:  IMG_6398.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  77.9 KB

Site Supporter
    Y'all, I went outside earlier, in the heart of the urban south side of Chicago, with only this on my person. I'm actually dead right now.

Name:  IMG_6398.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  77.9 KB
    I need to break up the lines of my pocket gun. Can you provide a picture and disciption of the holster modifications?

Quote Originally Posted by wmu12071 View Post
    I need to break up the lines of my pocket gun. Can you provide a picture and disciption of the holster modifications?
    What a nice way of asking for a picture of @RevolverRob's junk.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Quote Originally Posted by wmu12071 View Post
    The holster is an AHolster, https://aholster.com/pocket-aholster/ - but I found it printed really bad, because there was too much curve at the base and the hard outline of the kydex made it print. I used a heat gun to curve the pocket tab back to a neutral position. Then I used some EVA Foam from Hobby Lobby (they call it 'cosplay foam') cut to a rough outline shape and mounted it to the holster using the existing rivet and some spare Chicago-screw hardware.

Name:  7130D799-BEE7-411E-9E69-97780CFA0DD6.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  63.5 KB

Warning for @Guerrero - the following pic may scar you:

Name:  64287100418__DE5C353F-2121-4C38-B509-6F4B7958D911.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  50.7 KB

Warning for @Guerrero - the following pic may scar you:
    MY EYES!!!

From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

User Tag List