Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: EDC perspective......

I have gone thru many loadouts the past couple decades and still run pretty heavy at work, but "just" a G19/mag/lights/knives/mini multitool off duty. However, I travel overseas often and am generally reduced to a flashlight and nice pen. My point being that I truly believe it's not exactly what you carry, it's the mindset and behind the scenes thinking that lead you to carry anything at all. Preparedness starts in your head.

That said I'm pretty sure my J frame 642PD wants to break my wrist and/or fingers whenever I am dumb enough to shoot it with duty +P loads!

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    My point being that I truly believe it's not exactly what you carry, it's the mindset and behind the scenes thinking that lead you to carry anything at all. Preparedness starts in your head.
    Yup!

Most important thing I carry is my brain. I rarely leave home without it.

Though I hear in certain parts of Portland and Minneapolis, to say nothing of some college campuses, they're the most controversial and frowned upon part of the load out.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Site Supporter
    For those who had to fast forward (as I did), he did report that his summer EDC loadout was pretty minimalist The rather heavy gear at the star of the video was primarily what he didn't carry.

As most of us know EDC or off-duty carry is a lot of compromise. Having carried a SIG 226 in 9mm or .40 on duty and off for many years, I don't think a Glock 17 would be especially onerous, but I wouldn't combine it with a pretty large IFAK, trauma scissors, a fairly large expandable baton,

I do think people can go overboard either way. In today's world, I think can be seduced by the romance of the revolver. When I still had a real job, I attended a leadership class with multiple agencies. On one occasion, an officer wore a revolver. (Looked larger than a J frame, but I didn't get a good look.) He seemed to relish the attention it got him from other attendees. He mentioned that if he needed a gun off duty, he would be running away. OK, probably hyperbole, but my thought was how he drove to and from class. Driving a company car, he might end up in a situation where he wasn't authoriized to run away.

"I don't need to feel like I'm invading Iraq everyday when I go to pick up the kids from school."

I had to turn it off there. As someone else said, there's a huge gray area between the two ends of the spectrum this guy is presenting. This dude's video is just a compilation of reductio ad absurdum strawmen to rationalize his choices.
    Last edited by TGS; 05-10-2021 at 02:19 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    It must be nice to live in a place where between 1/4-1/3 of the shootings and robberies in your town don’t involve the bad guys toting an AR/AK pistol or rifle and everybody has a ‘stendo on their pistol.

I agree there’s a balance, but I recently upgraded from a G26 to a g17 with a grip chop due to local trends of what bg’s are actually using. I agree with TGS and others who say there’s a balance.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

At the risk of restating the obvious I view my EDC as a mic of items I routinely use and things I might reasonably need. The former includes my phone, keys, knife and flashlight and each of them gets used multiple times per day. The latter includes a gunbelt, sidearm & holster and spare mag in a Safariland 123. At times this might include an IFAK and/or 'blowout kit' but I only carry these for specific activities. The first category gets used so frequently that not carrying them would cause great inconvenience to me. The specific items are often exchanged based on my plans for the day. For example I might leave the Delica & Malkoff light at home and just grab my Dragonfly key chain w/ the Olight i3e EOS if I'm just grabbing lunch and hitting Home Depot. With the latter it's about the stakes more than the odds. If I ever need my sidearm I'll want the most capability possible regardless of how I'd meant to spend the day. The only major adjustment to my CCW is if I'm going hiking or camping since we have perhaps the largest concentration of Grizzlies in the lower 48.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I can’t believe I am about to say this... I mean, I *really* can’t believe it, but: a bunch of your IL EDC will be non-kosher in your new digs. While I can legally tote a DDPDW, to say nothing of a G17, those saps and blades are frowned upon—even the CP, due to some lame ass case law from ‘09 or so involving a JV girl and a paring knife, pocket-carried in a ghetto rig, Ed Calderon-style.

I never thought I’d be in a position to say that IL gave you some privileges, but it appears that pigs have learned how to fly.

(As an aside, it’s not outside the realm of possibility for long-timers to have piles of exemplars of a lot of that stuff in the gun safe, just read the statutes twice before carrying once outside the home when you relocate. JMO).

That is weird case law regarding the fixed blade situation, thanks for the heads up. No surprise re: autos and saps. I figured a move back to OC.

My EDC if I have to be in a public place is a big ass dog that doesn’t take kindly to people I don’t take kindly to.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Site Supporter
    This is out of ‘Nawlins, but bg’s are rolling with the same weapons I’m seeing in down (technically up here). 3 guys, 1 AK pistol and 2 handguns 1 with a drum mag the other with an extended mag.

Btw, if you have a throwaway/fake FB account look up the folks that are arrested for violent crimes in your area and check out their friends or people who comment on their posts and you’ll often find picks of them posing with guns. It’s a good way to find out what bg’s or possible bg’s are using in your area.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I can’t believe I am about to say this... I mean, I *really* can’t believe it, but: a bunch of your IL EDC will be non-kosher in your new digs. While I can legally tote a DDPDW, to say nothing of a G17, those saps and blades are frowned upon—even the CP, due to some lame ass case law from ‘09 or so involving a JV girl and a paring knife, pocket-carried in a ghetto rig, Ed Calderon-style.

I never thought I’d be in a position to say that IL gave you some privileges, but it appears that pigs have learned how to fly.

(As an aside, it’s not outside the realm of possibility for long-timers to have piles of exemplars of a lot of that stuff in the gun safe, just read the statutes twice before carrying once outside the home when you relocate. JMO).

We outta have him read up on I-594 and I-1639 so he knows what he's in for in terms of buying guns once he gets here.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    That is weird case law regarding the fixed blade situation, thanks for the heads up. No surprise re: autos and saps. I figured a move back to OC.
    Don't worry though, your COVID mask will fit right in here. Seattle folk love them and some are already losing their shit over the new mask rules for vaccinated people and the plan to fully reopen WA by June 30th..

User Tag List