Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: EDC perspective......

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    In the linked article, Ellefritz limited his shooters to two rounds, and they scored >50% of the time. What do you think the odds are on three shooters with no restriction on rounds fired? Even if they didn't hit him, rounds are going all over the neighborhood and into houses. Maybe this guy should have seen it coming, but in the end he took a beatdown and lost an insured vehicle.
    Thanks for the link, good-to-know info for sure.

It strikes me that this scenario was a shit sandwich no matter how it was sliced. Short of "seeing it coming" there were IMO no options that stood out as definitively better. It was a fast ambush of three against one, with few options for response. Even being armed and proficient with the weapon was no guarantee of a better outcome. It could be that the way it ended was the best to be hoped for, though it still sucked to be victimized that way.

I can relate to this one because long ago I spent many years in the trades working in people's homes. My work required many trips out to the truck, with my mind fully engaged with the task at hand and as a result, mostly oblivious to my surroundings.

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    That is one possible scenario. However, they weren’t there to murder. They used weapons to intimidate and steal a vehicle. Do you honestly believe that if the guy ran they would have just stood there and unloaded their weapons in his direction? My bet is they would have taken off in the opposite direction. Also a hypothetical, but a much more likely outcome.
    I sincerely doubt they would have fired a shot had he ran.

They might have chased him a short distance, caught him and beat the snot out of him and then took his truck.

They might have decided him running and them chasing would gain unwanted attention and bolted in the opposite direction as suggested.

We can "what if" the possible outcomes all day. Far more productive to instead war-game our own potential responses if ever confronted with such a scenario.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

That is one possible scenario. However, they weren’t there to murder. They used weapons to intimidate and steal a vehicle. Do you honestly believe that if the guy ran they would have just stood there and unloaded their weapons in his direction? My bet is they would have taken off in the opposite direction. Also a hypothetical, but a much more likely outcome.
    I considered this too. I have to agree their goal was intimidation and expected the compliance they got. Any unexpected response could have derailed their plans and caused them to take off. But then again, maybe not.

Maybe we think we would have of ducked behind the truck, executed a smooth and speedy draw, popped up from behind the bed and performed a Bill Drill on the three of them. That would have been an "unexpected response" for sure but depending on the political climate of the jurisdiction, could have been viewed an an escalation and required some major lawyering-up.

Can't you hear it now?

"These were good boys who were bored looking for something to do, and you used it as an opportunity to use your gun and mow them down like a homicidal maniac."

Or maybe we do run and they open fire, at which point the use of deadly force would be viewed as entirely justifiable - assuming we were not already incapacitated from the three-against-one gun fire.

Shit sandwich for sure. It pains me to say that maybe getting a new truck and some stitches wasn't such a bad outcome.

On the question of capacity, you gotta do you. I had the distinct privilege of training with some of the most talented shooters in the world who had decades of combat shooting behind them. They collectively agreed that a 50% hit rate on the "two way rifle range" was the best they could HOPE for - and these are folks who train hard, all the time, with unlimited access to ranges and ammunition.

For me, a fairly OK handgun shooter who shoots in a year what these guys shoot in a training day, to HOPE to achieve 50% in a gunfight is wishful thinking at best. For ME, I won't go out the door with a five shot revolver - my LCR is solely a pocket gun for cutting the lawn, or an ankle backup.

Since I'm on my soap box, a J-frame only option ties limited capacity to a hard recoiling small gun with a heavy trigger and crappy sights (generally). None of these things are recipes for success.

Don't get me wrong - I LOVE round guns, have a half dozen or more lying around in the safe that come out from time to time, but for ME, they're backups, range toys, or niche pistols for hunting/back woods.

Site Supporter
    Dude didn’t die and just had some facial injuries and a stolen truck, he got lucky. But, when three guys pull guns on you on your property are you 100% sure that it isn’t going turn into a home invasion or kidnapping to the ATM and then murder? That’s one of my line in the sand actions that ends with either me winning or dying in a pile of brass, blood, shit and piss.

Where I live now I’m not worried at all about the political implications of shooting armed people on my property and wouldn’t worry about it anywhere else to be honest, though it does make a strong case for a home security camera system.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

"The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Long, but worth watching. Got me thinking, at the least. I watched it over a couple of nights.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I dig the non-filter smokes. Someone bumming will take it and win you brownie points. But most people want filters so it discourages making a habit of using you as a vending machine. The soft packs they come in are more compact and take up less space in your bag than filters, as well.

Disposable razors are cool. If doing first aid and cutting stuff with fluids around, they are sharp; cheap; tiny; weigh nothing; and just bin them when done. I keep one in each of my booboo kits. They've never gone through metal detectors under my insoles to later be pocketed in the bathroom. Or stuffed under my cell case in the pocket junk bin.

And i miss the old paring knives a regional grocery store chain used to sell. The plastic packs left the handles exposed with a friction-fit and served as sheaths. Tether the display hook cutout, tuck in your waistband and go.

Hammertime
    This scenario sucks period. Here is a dude who died fighting due to a lucky shot from a fleeing perp.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    This scenario sucks period. Here is a dude who died fighting due to a lucky shot from a fleeing perp.

Yeah, but again a totally different scenario. He didn’t run the opposite direction and get shot while running away. He fought, which if you can is obviously the best choice.

The lesson to be learned from this video is to not abandon your cover/concealment and chase after fleeing criminals.

User Tag List