Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ransomware gangs get more aggressive against law enforcement

Site Supporter
    My boyhood best friend is a retired doctor. He told me not to tell my doctor anything that I did not want to see show up on the internet.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    Modern day pirates should be declared as such, and then tracked down and shot.
    What is actually happening is closer to the golden age of piracy instead, something akin to nation-states giving out letters of marque to use against adversarial powers.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Probably we should spend less om MRAPs and more on IT.
    Law enforcement doesn't usually purchase MRAP's. They have largely been obtained surplus from the military under the 1033 program. I frankly doubt any agency has purchased an MRAP. They are frankly not the best law enforcement armored vehicles compared to Bearcats, Bears, and other competing vehicles, Of course, MRAP's exist and the military doesn't want all of them, so perhaps the free armored vehicle today is better than a better option than the ideal armored vehicle an agency is trying to get funding for.

Site Supporter
    I think the reality is.

You can take shots at and reach all kinds of US targets / infrastructure at all times from the safety of your own country.

If this was a physical threat, etc. we’d be at war by now.

But, right now it’s hacking, etc.

I think COVID-19 has also pushed many organizations to work remotely that have never before and they are woefully unprepared.

I’m creating a training for my org and installing an MFA solution for another org by Saturday ironically to meet the criteria of their Cyber Security Insurance by Saturday.

But our military is building assets to develop responses.

You know the other thing that’s interesting is as these underfunded and technically behind the curve orgs - one of the booming skills is ethical hacking. But darn if we’re not inherently training anyone who can buy a Udemy class extensive training on Kali Linux and if they can hit the dark web they can get cracked/leaked org passwords.

Colonial was a non-MFA service account.

Ironically, I’m in a troubleshooting call (my side is done) for MFA enablement and about to coordinate with an organization to install MFA.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    If this was a physical threat, etc. we’d be at war by now.
    Hard concur

But, right now it’s hacking, etc.

I think COVID-19 has also pushed many organizations to work remotely that have never before and they are woefully unprepared.
    + another

I’m creating a training for my org and installing an MFA solution for another org by Saturday ironically to meet the criteria of their Cyber Security Insurance by Saturday.
    You are part of the solution. Thank you.

You know the other thing that’s interesting is as these underfunded and technically behind the curve orgs - one of the booming skills is ethical hacking. But darn if we’re not inherently training anyone who can buy a Udemy class extensive training on Kali Linux and if they can hit the dark web they can get cracked/leaked org passwords.
    I can not over-state how much overlap there is here with the 2nd amendment vs. gun control. I really like that I can run kali from my win10 boxes now.
    Last edited by randyho; 06-15-2021 at 04:44 PM.

Site Supporter
    https://krebsonsecurity.com/2021/05/...-stash-seized/

I wonder if that was a US Govt. agency.

This is honestly where some CIA assets going overseas and having a sit down with offending parties is where I think things should go.

I wonder if these guys were hung like horse thieves and pirates of centuries ago this crap would slow down a bit.

No Cush inside “come work for us” job or slap on the wrist prison sentence. We treat it like torpedo’ing a trade vessel like kicked off our involvement in WW1. We could even call it project “Lusitania”.

My bad. I’m just frustrated by this personally and professionally. I’ll quit ranting here.
    God Bless,

Brandon

User Tag List