Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ransomware gangs get more aggressive against law enforcement

Ransomware is piracy, and while we should pursue and arrest our own criminals of this sort, the ones from abroad should simply be shot.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

This is all getting scary isn't it? If the encounters we all have w/ our gov at DMV, etc. are any indication of the level of competence in IT, I suspect it will keep happening. Even w/ people who want to do it right, I can easily imagine it is really hard to come up w/ the $ needed to actually secure their info. Of course the defund the police crap isn't helping either.

Probably we should spend less om MRAPs and more on IT.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. - Richard Feynman
    When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist.- Archbishop Helder Câmara

Many of these smaller targets of ransomware have archaic existing systems. Trying to shore up security in an environment like that is like trying to rodent-proof an old house that you inherited. Even if you check and plug every crack and hole you find, it only takes one miss for them to get in. And if the best solution requires time, money and a change to habits, it can be tough to convince everyone else to support that if they're not currently seeing mice. When you do start seeing them and they've infected your food pantry with turds then of course you'll get full support, but it's too late by then.

This is a consistent problem across the industry.

Only going to get worse as reports of folks paying ransoms are widely broadcast around the globe….

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Probably we should spend less om MRAPs and more on IT.
    How much do we spend on MRAPs?

Seems like anyone dumb enough to put any of these critical systems on the open internet is certifiably no more intellectually capable than a slime mold . . .

Couple that with running M$ crap, and you have a perfect formula for a failure.

Use a better OS, and *DO NOT* put anything that the public should see *anywhere* the public can touch, and if multiple sites need to be linked, private lines are hard to hack from overseas and/or encrypted tunnels only. *ZERO* outside access, period . . .

Quote Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
    Seems like anyone dumb enough to put any of these critical systems on the open internet is certifiably no more intellectually capable than a slime mold . . .

Couple that with running M$ crap, and you have a perfect formula for a failure.

Use a better OS, and *DO NOT* put anything that the public should see *anywhere* the public can touch, and if multiple sites need to be linked, private lines are hard to hack from overseas and/or encrypted tunnels only. *ZERO* outside access, period . . .
    Agreed. However, try running that flag up in corporate world and see if anyone salutes. It cost money, and is inconvenient. This is one of the reasons I don't do IT anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Agreed. However, try running that flag up in corporate world and see if anyone salutes. It cost money, and is inconvenient. This is one of the reasons I don't do IT anymore.
    It's not too bad of a discussion after they get taken for millions, but yeah, the cloud of stupid is pretty hard to break through before that . . .

Modern day pirates should be declared as such, and then tracked down and shot.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

User Tag List