Thread: What is your hunting rifle trigger pull weight?

What is your hunting rifle trigger pull weight?

I'm taking two rifles to Zimbabwe this summer (unless there is a new COVID-21). My CZ 550 .375 has a factory set trigger: ~3.0-3.5 lbs for standard pull and 1 lbs exactly on the set pull (and it has detonated every round reliably). My Tikka T3x 30-06 is on its lowest factory setting of of 1.8-1.9 lbs. I have a Tikka trigger spring that will bring it down maybe 1 lbs on hand to use. Normally the Tikka off shooting sticks beats the CZ. Last week I was practicing off hand and the CZ was matching the Tikka despite being 3-4 lbs heavier. It just seemed that it was able to send the round exactly now! better when my crosshairs swept the bullseye during its wobble. I am so tempted to get that Tikka pull down to 1 lbs but am afraid it may affect reliability. Also, probably 90% of my first shot on target will be supported (ie shooting sticks, etc). I'm debating with myself now.

How low do you guys go?

Site Supporter
    Interested to see what responses you get, Paul.

I've never measured a rifle's trigger pull weight. The only one I've ever adjusted was a Savage Accutrigger on a .22.

The pull on my Win M70 is lower and cleaner than the non-Accutrigger on my Savage M10, not to mention the ARs and lever actions I've used as well. One of the reasons my M70 is now my favorite rifle.

Depends on what I’m hunting, and how.......
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Rarely less than 3 pounds. Crisp is more important.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Marlin 336 is the main gun I use for hunting, 4 pounds of floppy, stacking, factory Marlin trigger.

I really should fix that.

I like three pounds or so on a hunting rifle trigger, and I like that extra weight so I can get on the trigger without the shot going before I intend it, especially as animals move around. More important than weight, is whether your rifle will follow when working the bolt vigorously. If on the light side, vigorous working of the bolt can cause the firing pin to release.

All hunting is exciting, but dangerous game even more so, and a bit of extra trigger weight isn’t going to hurt shootability at the distances you hunt DG.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Thanks all. I'm going to leave it alone and probably adjust the trigger solidly above 2.5 lbs.

User Tag List