Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Firearm transportation question

I should have been more clear about the handgun portion when I said the handgun needed to go through an FFL. I should have specifically said it has to come from an FFL in your own state of residence and you can’t take possession of one from an FFL in another state.

You seem pretty sure about the long gun having to come through an FFL so I admit I might be wrong.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    You seem pretty sure about the long gun having to come through an FFL so I admit I might be wrong.
    He's right. There's an exemption to loan it to a friend for hunting and the like, but not to actually sell it. Apologies to @whomever.

I apologize for providing incorrect information.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Well, that's illegal per 18 USC 922(e), so......
    I stand corrected. Since my transactions are between my FFL and another FFL it appears to be o.k. as that is written. From yourself to yourself looks like you need to notify the USPS.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Asking for a friend

Truck driver, currently in Alaska on business, home residence is Colorado, has an opportunity to purchase a couple 10/22s and an M1 Carbine from a private owner.

Is it legal to bring them back across state lines because they are long guns?

If he stores them in his truck, unloaded, etc- Is it legal for him to cross the border back thru Canada as long as he declares them?
    The best advice is for him to find an FFL in Alaska who is willing to ship them for him.

While it may be theoretically possible for him to obtain the Canadian paperwork necessary to enable him to enter Canada with certain types of firearms, gun parts, and ammunition, other parts are restricted or prohibited, and without diligent study he would have no way of knowing what was what. In short, it's complicated, and doing it wrong could be disastrous (for him).

Again, the only practical solution if for him to find an FFL in Alaska willing to ship them for him.

Traveling Abroad With Firearms
    https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-firearms.html

Temporarily taking a firearm or ammunition outside the United States
    https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Artic...language=en_US

Importing and Exporting Firearms, Weapons and Devices
    Memorandum D19-13-2

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...-13-2-eng.html

RCMP GRC 5589e (2018-02-19)
    https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/wam/media...a5dc40c88d.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    He's right. There's an exemption to loan it to a friend for hunting and the like, but not to actually sell it. Apologies to @whomever.
    No worries. I just didn't want the OP to be there at customs re-entering from Canada and having the conversation get awkward :-)

Those need to be shipped from an FFL in AK to an FFL in CO.

It's illegal (federal law) for an out of state resident (CO) to purchase a firearm from anyone in AK without the transfer going thru an FFL in AK. FFL is going to run a BC on the buyer and ship it. Private sales may happen everyday in AK with residents and none residents but it doesn't make it legal.

So clearly, to do this legally the out of state resident can't take possession of those firearms in AK. Only the FFL in AK can do do that.

Why risk having US customs getting involved in an illegal transfer. I don't get it.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post

It's illegal (federal law) for an out of state resident (CO) to purchase a firearm from anyone in AK without the transfer going thru an FFL in AK. FFL is going to run a BC on the buyer and ship it. Private sales may happen everyday in AK with residents and none residents but it doesn't make it legal.

So clearly, to do this legally the out of state resident can't take possession of those firearms in AK. Only the FFL in AK can do do that.

Why risk having US customs getting involved in an illegal transfer. I don't get it.
    Shipping them from FFL to FFL is fine. Shipping them from himself to himself back home works too as long as there is someone their to receive them.

BTW. There is an FFL in Tok, Alaska that specializes is shipping guns for Alcan Highway travelers when they are turned around at the border for prohibited (in Canada firearms). https://alaskagunshipping.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Shipping them from FFL to FFL is fine. Shipping them from himself to himself back home works too as long as there is someone their to receive them.

BTW. There is an FFL in Tok, Alaska that specializes is shipping guns for Alcan Highway travelers when they are turned around at the border for prohibited (in Canada firearms). https://alaskagunshipping.com/
    Generally, for a person to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of state, the firearm must be shipped to a federal firearms licensee (FFL) within the transferee’s state of residence. The transferee may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background check.
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/whom...arms-under-gca

True. But legally the transfer has to be made through an FFL in AK. Once the transfer is made he can ship however he wants or have the FFL ship it. USPS is the cheapest for shipping it yourself. Just declare it and take a copy of the USPS regs with you in case the F'in USPS employee doesn't know their own GD regulations.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    There's no need to involve an FFL on the Alaska side. The seller can ship to a Colorado FFL, and then the purchaser can have the guns transferred whenever he gets home.

User Tag List