Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's an Assault Rifle?

An assault rifle has similar features to the Grand Daddy of them all, the StG-44 Sturmgewehr. Intermediate sized cartridge, shorter barrel, detachable magazine with higher capacity than standard rifles, AND, selective fire (semi and FA or burst.)

Site Supporter
    We all know that and it makes no difference to the oncoming bans. When the researchers from the DOJ presented their studies at the American Society for Criminology that the AWB didn't reduce any crime indices, the gun world said: SEE!

The researchers and DOJ discussants said that was because of:

1. Existing stocks of weapons
    2. Newly produced weapons of equal efficacy without the cosmetic features

For some reason, perhaps Ruger going along with mag bans, the Minis skirted the bans and still do in some version. They weapons of equal efficacy and only idiocy of the banners protected them.

Look at my Ruger 'fighting rife' - it is compliant as it doesn't have a threaded barrel. Well, that made the world a safer place.

The old definitions are not relevant except for the full and semi designation. Now, pointing that out as a reason not ban, does implicitly throw changing the NFA under the bus.

Sensationalism sells. Facts, yes, but on a far lesser scale.
    "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

The real issue here is language used as a weapon. Words used to engender a desired response or reaction in the poorly informed or uneducated.

Then those who chose to use language as a weapon mount a multipronged attack. The phrase "Common Sense" will be trotted out. Because of course, who could possibly be against common sense gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    The real issue here is language used as a weapon. Words used to engender a desired response or reaction in the poorly informed or uneducated.

Then those who chose to use language as a weapon mount a multipronged attack. The phrase "Common Sense" will be trotted out. Because of course, who could possibly be against common sense gun control?
    Language is contagious and easily weaponized. The left is very good at it, as evidenced by their influence in pop culture of all sorts is silly wokeness that becomes part of the vernacular regardless of how asinine we all think it is. When we use it, even mockingly, we support its spread. When we argue about their dumb words, we are validating them in a way, and usually wasting time fighting the words instead of fighting the ideas.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Language is contagious and easily weaponized. The left is very good at it, as evidenced by their influence in pop culture of all sorts is silly wokeness that becomes part of the vernacular regardless of how asinine we all think it is. When we use it, even mockingly, we support its spread. When we argue about their dumb words, we are validating them in a way, and usually wasting time fighting the words instead of fighting the ideas.
    Correct!

For Example: Social Distancing <- Pure bovine excrement wordsmithing. If I were socially distancing myself from you I wouldn't quote you. I wouldn't answer your calls. I would just ignore you and have nothing to do with you.

However if I were staying at least 6 feet away from you I would be Physically Distancing myself from you

I like the US Army definition from 1970:

"Assault rifles are short, compact, selective-fire weapons that fire a cartridge intermediate in power between submachinegun and rifle cartridges. . . . Assault rifles have mild recoil characteristics and, because of this, are capable of delivering effective full-automatic fire at ranges up to 300 meters."

Words matter, and I always try to correct those in my social circle who are not very well versed in firearms should they ever refer to an AR-15 or AR-10 as an "assault rifle." The simple distinction that most understand quickly is that AR-15s are not fully automatic.

Could one fight with an AR-15? Sure, but that doesn't make it an assault rifle. The M1 Garand was the standard US service rifle in WWII and the Korean War. You can definitely fight with the semi-automatic M1, but that doesn't make it an "assault rifle."
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

User Tag List