Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OC spray and the expiration dates

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Thanks for the insight, you guys have convinced me that a complete dump and replace is in order since all of mine are at least 2 years past expiration, and why.

I cannot figure out how to get this POM thing out of its case but mine were purchased in the last year from reputable sources.
    @fatdog

Twist and pull off the bottom part of the plastic housing below the color band. It's just a friction fit. Then just push it back on.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    My training and experience as an OC Instructor is loss of pressure over time. I've never seen the product itself to be less effective.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

I'm glad this topic came up. I tested out a couple of my older units, and, sure enough, they just dribbled out. Going to use them on some spots in my yard to keep out critters.

Time to buy some replacements.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Site Supporter
    Glad this topic came up, as it caused me to replace a bunch of expired stuff. I tried each of the expired units, and found that the Sabre seems to have the best chance of having adequate propellant past its expiration date. ASP Key Defender refills seem to have about a 50% chance of having little propellant remaining about a year past the expiration date.

For those of you who, like me, sometimes give pepper spray to relatives who are not self defense hobbyists, those relatives should also be aware of the expiration dates and likely loss of propellant if those dates are not monitored or perhaps added to a calendar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    For those of you who, like me, sometimes give pepper spray to relatives who are not self defense hobbyists, those relatives should also be aware of the expiration dates and likely loss of propellant if those dates are not monitored or perhaps added to a calendar.
    Definitely. I send the occasional PSA text to the family chat reminding to look at expiration dates, and also to give the units a good rattlecan shake every once in a while. Helps that they’re all using POMs, which are cheap and easy to just throw in an Amazon cart.

I have a running list of dates for mine. One that’s within a few months gets its date written on it with permanent marker so I don’t miss it.

Site Supporter
    A guy I know sprayed an aggressive dog today. Spray was from 1997!

It must have worked because he was also feeling the side effects of it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    A guy I know sprayed an aggressive dog today. Spray was from 1997!

It must have worked because he was also feeling the side effects of it.
    Which brand was it? I had an unused can of Sabre Red which lost its pressure much sooner. I tested it after the expiration date. I forgot the exact number of years. But I'm sure it was less than 10 years old and probably less than 5 years above its expiration date.
    Last edited by P30; 12-22-2021 at 09:52 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by P30 View Post
    Which brand was it? I had an unused can of Sabre Red which lost its pressure much sooner. I tested it after the expiration date. I forgot the exact number of years. But I'm sure it was less than 10 years old and probably less than 5 years above its expiration date.

My apologies for the late reply.

I checked the bottle but it was sticky and nasty from the pepper spray. It was something like "Pepper Mace Defense". Not a name I recognized, but it is over two decades old.

User Tag List