Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OC spray and the expiration dates

OC spray and the expiration dates

I was wondering what the pepper spray guru's think about the expiration dates the manufacturers put on the cans and true loss of efficacy.

Specifically we have a bunch of Sabre Red and Blue Face units. I am probably going to replace all of the units that are out of date now, but I was wondering if it is out of date means highly likely to be less effective or if it leans in the direction of that is the approach the makers use to insure you are turning their product.

What really caused me to question this is the fact that the POM guys have no expiration date. They recommend replacement in 18-24 months but specifically state that is due to the likely damage to the case, not the deterioration of the contents.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I was wondering what the pepper spray guru's think about the expiration dates the manufacturers put on the cans and true loss of efficacy.

Specifically we have a bunch of Sabre Red and Blue Face units. I am probably going to replace all of the units that are out of date now, but I was wondering if it is out of date means highly likely to be less effective or if it leans in the direction of that is the approach the makers use to insure you are turning their product.

What really caused me to question this is the fact that the POM guys have no expiration date. They recommend replacement in 18-24 months but specifically state that is due to the likely damage to the case, not the deterioration of the contents.
    POM has an expiration date stamped on the bottom of the metal cylinder which can be pulled from the plastic housing to check it, and put back.

Also, I am not an expert here, but I think the concern is more that the propellant may not be effective, more so than the pepper spray itself not having the desired effect.

Others with more knowledge will chime in.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

I've had exposures to both expired sprays and OC/CS canisters (grenades) with no loss of effectiveness. Although I would not feel bad about carrying a slightly expired can, the main concern I have isn't the expiration of the contents but the condition of the propellant (losing pressure over time) and the plastic spray unit. I say this as I check the expiration date on the can on my duty belt.....

Anecdotal on expired OC...

No perceived decrease in solution effectiveness in training and suspect applications.
    Some changes in distance, dispersion, reliability of multiple discharges, and waste in the can with increased age.
    Susceptibility to above varies mostly by container size. Mk4s seem to go the distance better than others. ASP key defenders peter out quick.
    A few years expired is NBD for duty size canisters (mk4/3), pocket size vary.
    Some manufacturer variance with the above.

A year or so ago, I found a 2002 mk4 can of BodyGuard LE-10 stream. I test fired it and got strong, annoying stream of product and was able to drain almost the whole can. I have another 2002 can (cone or fog) still in wrapper that I've held onto.

Hope that helps.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post

I trust what @Chuck Haggard says. Start at 6:38 and watch for about 3 or so minutes:

"The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

POM does have an expiration date on the can, in tiny printing on the bottom.

The issue is loss of pressure issues due to valving and O rings.

I have in fact seen this be an issue in the past.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

In the chemical agent instructor classes I’ve attended it was said the pressure of the propellant is the reason for the expiration date. I’ve seen long expired canisters function normally but I’ve also seen OC dribble out the nozzle.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

As others have said, my experience is that it is usually the canister, seals, or propellant that degrades or leaks out over time, rather than the OC itself degrading or going bad. I’ve witnessed numerous “expired” canisters of OC spray used in training. Some of the cans had no pressure in them to propel the spray. The ones that still sprayed were just as effective as “in date” cans.

Thanks for the insight, you guys have convinced me that a complete dump and replace is in order since all of mine are at least 2 years past expiration, and why.

I cannot figure out how to get this POM thing out of its case but mine were purchased in the last year from reputable sources.

Site Supporter
    I had Fox for most of the household family sprays and they would fizzle in a year or two. Moved to Sabre.

User Tag List