Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Apex kit for an M&P?

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    I called Apex this afternoon.

After our conversation, I purchased a polymer trigger Action Enhancement Duty/Carry Kit as well as a RAM.

I also have a new sear housing assembly on the way since this is a 2008ish gun and I need the newer style to fit all this.
    I installed this combo last night.

It is absolutely superb.

I've played with lots of plastic gun trigger, many are either too light or too spongy. For actual duty/carry use this thing is perfect.

Site Supporter
    I installed this combo last night.

It is absolutely superb.

I've played with lots of plastic gun trigger, many are either too light or too spongy. For actual duty/carry use this thing is perfect.

What do you like about it? How would you describe the trigger vs the stock one?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    What do you like about it? How would you describe the trigger vs the stock one?
    My department started issuing the M&P in 2008 shortly after they were released. We went 659>5906>SW99 40 S&W> M&P 40> M&P 9.

I have never hated the factory M&P's trigger like some people do. The trigger shoe has quite a take-up because of how it hinges in the middle and the early guns did not have a strong tactile reset like Glocks do. I never really found it bothersome; but S&W changed it over time and the latest 2.0 guns seem to have a fairly distinct reset. On a stock M&P the overtravel is addressed by a bump in the frame, so in all the trigger has a pretty decent amount of travel.

I messed with the original Apex flat trigger a few years back on a co-workers gun and even remember commenting to him how I didn't like the feel of the trigger shoe (too wide and too square) and how I thought the actual pull was too light with too little take-up. On a gun without a thumb safety installed it just seemed like an accident waiting to happen. Based on memory I'd estimate it was around 2.5 to 3 lbs with no take-up which is great for the range, but no bueno in real world use without a thumb safety.

I've had various Glock flat trigger shoes I've installed and the only one that really works ok for me is the Fowler Industries one (I have one on a Glock 19 Gen5 right now). It's width just seems right. On revolvers I dislike the wide "target" triggers and I also dislike the super thin triggers. I've always found smooth "Combat Trigger" S&W put on guns in the mid-1980's to be perfect for me. I also like the Wilson "Medium" 1911 trigger. It's individual preference I guess.

Regarding this Apex kit:

- Shoe: The tactile feel of the plastic trigger shoe is perfect. It isn't totally curved, but isn't flat. It's somewhere in the middle and the corners are perfectly radiused. The raised safety in the middle (Glock style) is easily depressed and when the trigger is depressed goes perfectly flush. This is probably one of the most ergonomic plastic gun triggers I've ever felt.

- Take-up: It's reduced, but not gone with a fair amount of smooth resistance...fairly Glock-like. If you dig "press outs" it's great and I would describe it as somewhat forgiving of error unlike some of the triggers that eliminate nearly all pre-travel. I'm measuring the movement of the bottom of the trigger shoe to be about a quarter of inch from rest to the wall.

- The wall/break: It's nice, smooth and clean. Much better than most of the Gen5 Glocks I've played with recently.

- Over travel: Very little. I adjusted the "candy cane" on the trigger bar that interfaces with the sear to give me a little bit more just to be safe, but the trigger shoe no longer contacts the frame.

- Reset: Short and super positive with an audible and tactile "click" ...just how everyone seems to likes it.

- Pull weight: I haven't measured it yet, but using the ol' finger-o-meter it feels around 6 lbs which to me is perfect for a gun like this without a thumb safety

Here are a couple crappy pics:

Last edited by KevH; 05-13-2021 at 05:36 PM.

I just measured it and it averages 6 lbs 6 oz on a Lyman digital gauge.

Shoe: The tactile feel of the plastic trigger shoe is perfect. It isn't totally curved, but isn't flat. It's somewhere in the middle and the corners are perfectly radiused.
    I agree, it is always nice to have someone else confirm your confirmation bias

User Tag List