Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad dry suit diving death Glacier National Park

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Wow, what a horrible read.

Sinking to the bottom of a big lake while panicking, not being able to breathe, and being crushed from the outside pressure.

So they took this eighteen-year-old girl, who had almost no diving experience, told her to go buy a second-hand drysuit which turned out to be missing a significant piece of equipment, didn't spend any time with her going over how the thing works, how to use it, and discovering that it was defective, and just letting her dive without a true buddy.

Sounds criminal to me.
    Just to be clear, second hand drysuits are a common item on the market, and the hose likely wouldn't come with it. That part in itself isn't anything out of the ordinary or unethical.

Dive shops usually have bins of hoses of various lengths, and you'd buy the hose and just mount it yourself. The fittings are manipulated using common tools. Or, if you were new, the dive shop would take it in the back and mount the hose for you......takes about 30 seconds.

So, the equipment wasn't defective. It simply wasn't configured properly, and I cannot imagine why they would think she could go diving without the hookup. We usually travelled with spare hoses of various lengths, and it's something that the average group of divers using drysuits would likely be able to rectify on the spot. Outside the tropics/tourist areas, I didn't know anyone who didn't bring spare hoses......really sucks to have to cancel dives when a hose starts giving out, especially if you had driven a long way or paid money on a boat trip. Even if you didn't have the right length hose, chances are someone else in the group would have....again, which all just makes this all the more strange to me.

It's like showing up to a shooting match or class and nobody having a common spare bolt if you happened to forget yours and you sheared a lug....or even a spare magazine, or holster, etc.
    Last edited by TGS; 05-09-2021 at 11:51 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Did you guys notice that the person that sold the second-hand dry suit is being sued as well?

I'm all for suing the dive shop and instructors into oblivion. (I know *PADI is a racket but don't know enough about their procedures/rules to have an opinion on how culpable they are in this.)

But if a dive shop refers one of their students to me to buy a dry suit...1) isn't it reasonable to think the student will be instructed on the use and 2) most importantly, it's not my job to vet people in the first place. Cars are dangerous, too. Guns are dangerous. Do I have to check their qualifications before selling?

If I understood correctly, the drysuit wasn't missing anything but rather was sold with a fitting that wasn't compatible with the equipment provided by the dive shop that the deceased was using. This was only discovered at the dive site, in freezing temps, as darkness approached, and the instructor made the error of not calling the dive. (Or was the hose/fittings not included? Even so, like TGS said, the hose is not the drysuit. A quick search shows that they seem to be sold online without the hose anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong. )

Besides possibly getting a judgment or settlement from the dry suit seller, is there another reason to include them in the lawsuit? Some angle that's helpful to the plaintiffs in other parts of the lawsuit?

(*I got my PADI open water in whatever the minimum was (5 or 6 dives?) and then rolled straight into the 'Advanced' course. I think I was an 'advanced' diver after 10 or 12 dives. I was not and still am not an 'advanced' diver even though PADI says I am. I always thought that was a joke and dangerously misleading.)

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post

Besides possibly getting a judgment or settlement from the dry suit seller, is there another reason to include them in the lawsuit? Some angle that's helpful to the plaintiffs in other parts of the lawsuit?
    Just a guess based on my very minimal litigation experience so far. I suppose there’s some argument (not a good one as far as I know) to be made by the other defendants that the seller is liable or partially liable, which could support a claim that plaintiffs have failed to include a necessary party. Though I would think that the easier route would be going to hearing on that and telling the judge why including the seller is pointless. That party may get dismissed out early.

A lot of the (?) moments here are potentially due to the number of defendants and the likelihood that none of them like or trust each other, or share more than minimal common interests. My big question reading the petition was “why the hell hasn’t this settled before filing?” Granted that the petition is going to paint a picture in the plaintiffs’ best light, but still as pointed out by others here, this is egregious. My best guess is it’s going to trial (for now) because the defendants can’t reach enough of an agreement to decide who should pay what amount to add up to what is most likely a large and also justified settlement demand from plaintiffs.

Most likely, the defendants have each decided it’s better to play the “not me” card and see who gets slapped with a huge jury verdict. And to go back to the precious point, arguing for the inclusion of more defendants would help with that.

I could also be totally wrong. There are likely lawyers here with better knowledge than me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    The number of ways to die scuba diving is incredibly terrifying. The number of people who are careless and more than happy to facilitate your drowning death is more so.

I don't believe I will ever dive.
    Cory I highly recommend you rethink this, if you feel at all comfortable. The vast majority of folks in the Scuba industry are professional and incredibly safety conscious. Are there assholes? Sure. This thread is a superb example, but it was by far not my experience. Scuba diving is like any other adventure sport; if you follow the rules, the risk of serious injury or death is significantly reduced.

I don't have the depth and breadth of experience of folks like Sean or @TGS, with just a mere 400+ hours underwater as a recreational (air) diver. My diving started with a walk-in "try a dive" at Bob Soto's Dive Center on Grand Cayman Island in the early 90's. I have had some magical experiences. Hovering over a coral head teaming with micro-life; kneeling on a sandy bottom on a moonlit night as a 15' Manta Ray swooped past my dive light gobbling up Krill; slowly descending into the hold of the British WWII transport ship Thistlegorm in the Red Sea, past rows of Harley Davidson Motorcycles; and surveying the wreck of the U-352 Type VIIC U-boat off the coast of North Carolina, are some of the highlights.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Cory I highly recommend you rethink this, if you feel at all comfortable. The vast majority of folks in the Scuba industry are professional and incredibly safety conscious. Are there assholes? Sure. This thread is a superb example, but it was by far not my experience. Scuba diving is like any other adventure sport; if you follow the rules, the risk of serious injury or death is significantly reduced.

I don't have the depth and breadth of experience of folks like Sean or @TGS, with just a mere 400+ hours underwater as a recreational (air) diver. My diving started with a walk-in "try a dive" at Bob Soto's Dive Center on Grand Cayman Island in the early 90's. I have had some magical experiences. Hovering over a coral head teaming with micro-life; kneeling on a sandy bottom on a moonlit night as a 15' Manta Ray swooped past my dive light gobbling up Krill; slowly descending into the hold of the British WWII transport ship Thistlegorm in the Red Sea, past rows of Harley Davidson Motorcycles; and surveying the wreck of the U-352 Type VIIC U-boat off the coast of North Carolina, are some of the highlights.
    How do you determine a qualified place? Looks like all the places I can get instruction in my state are PADI affiliated.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    How do you determine a qualified place? Looks like all the places I can get instruction in my state are PADI affiliated.
    The traditional answer is Global Underwater Explorers (GUE). They'll start you off right from the beginning, and you won't get a c-card unless you're actually demonstrating competency in the right ways. PADI/NAUI/SSI/etc are all the same, and won't really ever get you there. The alternative method is to do PADI/SSI/NAUI whatevs to start out, but then take the GUE Diver Fundamentals course asap. It's open to everyone, and as opposed to being a "c-card" to let you do something, is basically entirely skills development. PADI et al have courses that are aimed at the same thing (I think PADI has one called "Buoyancy Perfection" or something), but they're really weak sauce.

GUE was the enterprise that really standardized on best practices early in the cave diving/technical diving scene. GUE divers had a reputation of being extremely snobby and their protocols are a bit strict and unnecessary in some regards. For instance, their protocols prohibit breathing air below 100fsw due to the effects of nitrogen narcosis, whereas the industry standard for recreational divers was 130fsw and my training with IANTD for normoxic trimix actually had us go to 180fsw under strict protocols to perform tests to measure our nitrogen narcosis effects at various depths. I was comfortable going to 140fsw on air, would "bounce" to 160, but in general was taking the IANTD triox course to use for below 140fsw. GUE, however, would mandate you use trimix/triox for anything below 100fsw, which frankly is fucking ludicrously conservative....and also crazy expensive, and would cut you out of a lot of recreational dive sites.

As cringe-worthy as I found GUE as a culture (it's almost a collective, like Crossfit drones), they'll get you the right training. In the recreational diving industry I'm not sure how you'll be able to guarantee you get the quality of training that GUE offers without going to GUE or getting into technical diving where you tend to select your instructor on a much more personal level. The skills they teach today are pretty standard throughout technical diving, but still not the recreational community, and GUE was the first and still the only agency I'd trust based on name to deliver that quality outside of technical diving. It's not just skills, either....it's an entirely different type of gear setup that 1) is actually more comfortable, and 2) is tenfold more efficient. The typical buoyancy compensator devices used in recreational diving are built as vests, and they force you into an upright or inclined position, which basically forces you to dive in bad technique/form. The average recreational diver has no awareness of how destructive they are, how over-weighted they are, and how out of balance they are. In addition, the equipment is set up in a way that actually makes it needlessly dangerous in numerous ways, with the length of the hoses, how the regulator is configured, etc. It doesn't work out well under pressure testing. The way we have our stuff configured in technical diving is because people kept dying using "conventional" gear and skills, and we decided (or, I should say our forefathers) found a better mousetrap. Everything from fins, masks, regulator setups, BCDs, lights etc in typical recreational diving are basically working against you.

Not to pick on RJ, but I'll just use his number as an example: I'd trust a GUE diver with 30 dives infinitesimally more than I'd ever trust a PADI/NAUI/SSI master diver with 400+ dives. There's a difference between doing something excellent 30 times over, versus doing something poorly 400 times over and basically getting a "Master Diver" c-card in exchange for giving them money and not much else of substance. That whole conscious competence vs unconscious incompetence thing. Just to make sure that ya'll understand I'm not picking on RJ......he likely has excellent in-water competence given when he started diving. The recreational diving industry was still holding people to standards back then, unlike the last 15 years where diving exploded as a tourist "attraction" and standards were thrown to the wayside in order to make a quick buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    The number of ways to die scuba diving is incredibly terrifying. The number of people who are careless and more than happy to facilitate your drowning death is more so.

I don't believe I will ever dive.
    I agree with RJ, but at the same time one of the reasons I refrained from diving in places like Indonesia, Thailand, etc is due to the surprising amount of people who are left at sea when the boat doesn't check they have all their passengers before pulling the hook and heading back to shore.

Diving is relatively safe when conducted properly. You need to take active ownership in your safety, however, and most recreational divers are more like cattle. I felt more safe doing solo-dives on my own in poor visibility, cold water, etc than being part of a recreational "herd".
    Last edited by TGS; 05-09-2021 at 10:19 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    The traditional answer is Global Underwater Explorers (GUE). They'll start you off right from the beginning, and you won't get a c-card unless you're actually demonstrating competency in the right ways. PADI/NAUI/SSI/etc are all the same, and won't really ever get you there. The alternative method is to do PADI/SSI/NAUI whatevs to start out, but then take the GUE Diver Fundamentals course asap. It's open to everyone, and as opposed to being a "c-card" to let you do something, is basically entirely skills development. PADI et al have courses that are aimed at the same thing (I think PADI has one called "Buoyancy Perfection" or something), but they're really weak sauce.

GUE was the enterprise that really standardized on best practices early in the cave diving/technical diving scene. GUE divers had a reputation of being extremely snobby and their protocols are a bit strict and unnecessary in some regards. For instance, their protocols prohibit breathing air below 100fsw due to the effects of nitrogen narcosis, whereas the industry standard for recreational divers was 130fsw and my training with IANTD for normoxic trimix actually had us go to 180fsw under strict protocols to perform tests to measure our nitrogen narcosis effects at various depths. I was comfortable going to 140fsw on air, would "bounce" to 160, but in general was taking the IANTD triox course to use for below 140fsw. GUE, however, would mandate you use trimix/triox for anything below 100fsw, which frankly is fucking ludicrously conservative....and also crazy expensive, and would cut you out of a lot of recreational dive sites.

As cringe-worthy as I found GUE as a culture (it's almost a collective, like Crossfit drones), they'll get you the right training. In the recreational diving industry I'm not sure how you'll be able to guarantee you get the quality of training that GUE offers without going to GUE or getting into technical diving where you tend to select your instructor on a much more personal level. The skills they teach today are pretty standard throughout technical diving, but still not the recreational community, and GUE was the first and still the only agency I'd trust based on name to deliver that quality outside of technical diving. It's not just skills, either....it's an entirely different type of gear setup that 1) is actually more comfortable, and 2) is tenfold more efficient. The typical buoyancy compensator devices used in recreational diving are built as vests, and they force you into an upright or inclined position, which basically forces you to dive in bad technique/form. The average recreational diver has no awareness of how destructive they are, how over-weighted they are, and how out of balance they are. In addition, the equipment is set up in a way that actually makes it needlessly dangerous in numerous ways, with the length of the hoses, how the regulator is configured, etc. It doesn't work out well under pressure testing. The way we have our stuff configured in technical diving is because people kept dying using "conventional" gear and skills, and we decided (or, I should say our forefathers) found a better mousetrap. Everything from fins, masks, regulator setups, BCDs, lights etc in typical recreational diving are basically working against you.

Not to pick on RJ, but I'll just use his number as an example: I'd trust a GUE diver with 30 dives infinitesimally more than I'd ever trust a PADI/NAUI/SSI master diver with 400+ dives. There's a difference between doing something excellent 30 times over, versus doing something poorly 400 times over and basically getting a "Master Diver" c-card in exchange for giving them money and not much else of substance. That whole conscious competence vs unconscious incompetence thing. Just to make sure that ya'll understand I'm not picking on RJ......he likely has excellent in-water competence given when he started diving. The recreational diving industry was still holding people to standards back then, unlike the last 15 years where diving exploded as a tourist "attraction" and standards were thrown to the wayside in order to make a quick buck.

I agree with RJ, but at the same time one of the reasons I refrained from diving in places like Indonesia, Thailand, etc is due to the surprising amount of people who are left at sea when the boat doesn't check they have all their passengers before pulling the hook and heading back to shore.

Diving is relatively safe when conducted properly. You need to take active ownership in your safety, however, and most recreational divers are more like cattle. I felt more safe doing solo-dives on my own in poor visibility, cold water, etc than being part of a recreational "herd".
    Thanks for taking the time to make this excellent write up.

This. TGS provided a wealth of wisdom in the above post.

Just so you know where I'm coming from, I'm a certified commercial air diver, TDI Trimix, SSI Divemaster, and was well on my way to becoming an instructor when kids came along and my diving career came to a screeching halt. The only way to get to a reasonable level of competence is with time in the water with solid people. I was extraordinarily blessed to have peripheral access to the NE Wreck diving community and association with some big names in the diving industry. My dive buddy worked for Bill Hamilton and Glenn Butler back in the day.

While GUE and DIR are bad words to some people, the principles and gear configurations are relevant to anyone that chooses to dive. Streamlined equipment setup and proper trim and weighting made all the difference in my evolution as a diver.

Diving a drysuit isn't necessarily difficult, but a fundamental understanding of the gas laws and equipment requirements and setup is key. I will confess that I have not read the entirety of the document linked in the OP, but nothing I've read so far engenders any sympathy for the defendants. Sad state of affairs with inexcusable behavior. My buddy and I have literally driven three hours to a dive site and then called the dive just because of a gut feeling that something wasn't right. Sounds like the people involved in this incident lacked the knowledge/confidence/maturity to make that call.

Diving is relatively safe when conducted properly.
    Except for the potential for beauty, being under water is the same as being in a burning building. With the right equipment and training, they're relatively safe, but both environments will kill you quickly if anything goes wrong. Anything I can't see from the surface will have to be seen on a big screen TV.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    A PADI five star Dive Center is "usually" a good bet. Same as you check out any business in these days of the internet; check ratings, see what kind of experiences others have had, word of mouth. AK being a smaller community perhaps you can connect up with a buddy who can steer you in the right direction?

All my training is through PADI; I only did one cert course through NAUI, a Deep Dive weekend at the Blue Grotto near Ocala FL. I don't know about SSI or other training organizations; but I'm probably out of date these days with what's offered.

Having said that, they don't call it "Put Another Dollar In" without a reason. It is a big business program, not unlike Amway or Crossfit or Pampered Chef; to make money, you need to be higher up in the pyramid, and this does not really help put the emphasis on the students, where it should be.

And I've seen a lot of students. After getting my basic, then AOW, then specialty courses, then Rescue Diver, I took the Divemaster course and starting to help out in classes. (My "Dry Suit" course consisted of two dives below the thermocline all the way to the outfall of the quarry; at 80 feet, measuring 38 fucking degrees. I learned 1) Dry Suits are a PITA and 2) I hate cold water diving. )

Most of my non-recreational dives consisted of acting either as a "Safety Diver", or as an actual, insurance-carrying DM. This was in Haymarket Quarry in NoVa. I was usually the DM who got the "problem" students (can't clear their ears, carrying too much weight, struggling with buoyancy skills). Anyway, the point being I have helped with a lot of classes. For fun, I've been on a couple liveaboards in Cayman, and another out of Sharm-al-Shiek in the Red Sea. Plus a week on various NC wrecks, on the MS Olympus. And a bunch of other trips to Key West and various Caribbean islands. All that was over the last 20 years or so. I ended up selling all my equipment and tanks (8) to someone who could use them. My last dive was about five years ago, on a cruise ship, docked at Turks and Caicos, using rental gear.

As I mentioned to @Cory, if you can swing it, I always recommended people travel somewhere nice to get their initial training. Going to the pool at a warm resort to do your initial water work, then stepping off a moored Dive boat just yards from shore into a clear blue ocean that you can see to the bottom, surrounded by beautiful coral and colorful fish, is magic. Although a Liveaboard can be pricey, the concept of "Eat / Sleep / Dive" is a good one, and you'll be a pretty good diver at the end of it.

User Tag List