Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad dry suit diving death Glacier National Park

Bad dry suit diving death Glacier National Park

#RESIST

Site Supporter
    Bad air, sounds like.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Updated OP with informative link.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Updated OP with informative link.
    Thanks for tagging me.

That's pretty terrible, and to be honest I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. PADI and the other tourism venture diving certification companies are basically pyramid schemes, selling people on C-cards (Certification cards) without any real training or competency. Most advanced open water divers I've met are patently unsafe in the water, and even most of the Master Divers I've met are similarly unaware of how poor their knowledge and skills are. No offense to any other divers here; I obviously wasn't born into competence, and had to work my way there.

Performing dives with equipment you're not certified on is not rare, at all. I was never "certified" in dry suit diving, even though I've made about 400 dives in dry suits to maximum bottoms times of 3 hours, and temperatures as low as 36*. I joined a group of technical divers and learned slowly from people who aren't making a buck off you, and we would perform training dives throughout the year (particularly late winter and spring time) in preparation for each diving season, teaching and practicing skills.

With that said, the defendants are toast. Egregious doesn't even begin to describe what was portrayed in the document. There's way too many variables they subjected her to; the training venue was completely inappropriate, and to combine learning various new skills for a person with that little dives into one dive is just simply unfathomable to me. On top of it all, they let her dive without the regulator being configured for dry suit diving. As you descend, you need to add gas to the suit in order to equalize the pressure, just like you need to add gas to the buoyancy compensator. As the pressure increases, the volume of air decreases, so you need to add more air. Simple. To allow someone to perform a dive without having a hookup for the valve.....I just can't even convey how fucked up that is. Criminal negligence, IMHO.

If someone did that to my wife, I'd probably murder them. That's like telling you, "sure, we can go for a ride in the airplane. Yeah, go sit on the wing without any harness or restraint, it'll be fine". Knowing what I know about diving, if I were the investigator I'd likely view that as reasonable suspicion they premeditated her murder for some nefarious reason.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Dry suit diving isn’t something you do for shits and grins. As @TGS mentioned, there are a plethora of different things that can go wrong........first of which is you’re diving in a fucking dry suit.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

I am a retired PADI DM, and have taken that Dry Suit cert course. I am very familiar with the PADI program described in the filing document. Reading about that incident gave me chills.

I am so sorry that young lady lost her life. Those responsible should burn in Hell.

I spent a few minutes underwater in my younger days, and there just aren’t many NAUI/PADI certified folks I’d consider for a dive buddy, let alone strap into a dry suit. There are a few....... but just like the firearms training industry, the accepted standard (NRA/NAUI/PADI) is some pretty weak chili as a metric for being proficient to the level of being safe.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Wow, what a horrible read.

Sinking to the bottom of a big lake while panicking, not being able to breathe, and being crushed from the outside pressure.

So they took this eighteen-year-old girl, who had almost no diving experience, told her to go buy a second-hand drysuit which turned out to be missing a significant piece of equipment, didn't spend any time with her going over how the thing works, how to use it, and discovering that it was defective, and just letting her dive without a true buddy.

Sounds criminal to me.
    Last edited by ccmdfd; 05-09-2021 at 09:05 AM.

The number of ways to die scuba diving is incredibly terrifying. The number of people who are careless and more than happy to facilitate your drowning death is more so.

I don't believe I will ever dive.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Wow, what a horrible read.

Sinking to the bottom of a big lake while panicking, not being able to breathe, and being crushed from the outside pressure.

So they took this eighteen-year-old girl, who had almost no diving experience, told her to go buy a second-hand drysuit which turned out to be missing a significant piece of equipment, didn't spend any time with her going over how the thing works, how to use it, and discovering that it was defective, and just letting her dive without a true buddy.

Sounds criminal to me.
    That whole read was a Walmart parking lot carnival of fail. I’m pretty confident I would recognize that now and nope-out before I ever got into the water with those assholes, despite a lack knowledge on diving. However, 18yo me would have likely had no fucking clue and drowned as well. I’m just glad they managed to not kill the 14yo girl who was with them too, though making her help drag the body out was a cherry on top of their incompetence cake.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

User Tag List