Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Using LRN Rounds...

deleted......
    Last edited by Borderland; 05-13-2021 at 11:13 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

While not my first choice, there are entire graveyards built for all the people killed with RNL and ball ammo.

I've noted that the Federal version, the American Eagle 158gr RNL, is wonderfully accurate, hits to the sights in all my snubs, doesn't lead up the gun, and yaws 100% of the time in Clear Gel when I have done demo shots in classes.

One could do worse for an emergency defensive bullet.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    While not my first choice, there are entire graveyards built for all the people killed with RNL and ball ammo.

I've noted that the Federal version, the American Eagle 158gr RNL, is wonderfully accurate, hits to the sights in all my snubs, doesn't lead up the gun, and yaws 100% of the time in Clear Gel when I have done demo shots in classes.

One could do worse for an emergency defensive bullet.
    Good to know. Thanks Chuck!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Copper chore boy cleans the worst leading in less then 10 minutes.
    And then you can use it for an extra boost from the lead when you cook a rock.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    And then you can use it for an extra boost from the lead when you cook a rock.
    I love dual use items!

.38 Special 158 LRN diameter

Factory 158 LRN service loads usually have a heavy knurled cannelure about 1/4" from the case mouth which forms the case wall into a lubricating groove. The purpose of this is to increase bullet pull, holding the bullet against the primer blast until pressure builds up to radially expand the case and release the bullet. If you use a collet or inertia bullet puller the deep knurl of the unexpanded case will remain tight and "size" the bullet as it is forcefully withdrawn.

Most factory bullet process drawings for old school 158 LRN service loads specified a diameter of .357" +0.0015/-0.0000 for the bare, unlubricated bullet, before knurling. Back in the day when commercial loaders could buy Remington or Winchester factory lead component bullets in bulk crates of 2000, typical diameter as measured over the thick black Remington graphite and Japan wax lubricant was .359-.360," whereas Winchester lead bullets lubricated with white Johnson 700 wax-draw would be about 0.001" smaller, as the white grease lubricant was applied only in the lubricating grooves of the bullet and not tumbled over its entire surface.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    While it is a different cartridge than the Remington that OP was wondering about, someone might find it useful or of interest to know that Magtech .38 LRN caused extreme leading in my Ruger Speed Six. While I have and will continue to use other Magtech cartridges, I will never, ever buy any of the LRN load, despite it being pretty much the cheapest option available.
    Shot Magtech during a match some years ago. The RO wanted to know where I got “those crappy reloads.”
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Shot Magtech during a match some years ago. The RO wanted to know where I got “those crappy reloads.”
    I have used the Magtech 158 LRN component bullets successfully, but only after relubing them with Lee Liquid Alox on top of whatever lube comes on them. Then they are OK with standard-pressure loads with 3.5 grains of Bullseye in .38 Special and they perform about like old school factory loads.

User Tag List