Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Using LRN Rounds...

Site Supporter
    I've shot lots of the big 3's swaged lead bullet .38 ammo over the years and have not noticed a leading problem with any of them. The Remington .38 +P LSWC-HP load was my favorite and also is my preferred .38 service load. I was taught by Allen Jones, firearms examiner for the Dallas County Forensic lab and later all the way to a VP position at Speer, that the Remington load was dry lubed and semi-hollow based which allowed it to upset properly in the cylinder throats and seal gas. Pulled examples confirmed that.

Where you get bad leading is from lead bullets that are undersized for the cylinder throats and that fail to fully upset in those throats, leading to gas blow by that melts lead off the base and heel area and deposits it in the forcing cone and bore. You don't size bullets to the bore but to the throats. Old BS information that needs to die on bore sizing. Also, and this is big, lots of cylinder throats are undersized (or oversized) and poor bullet upset, improper dimension bullets, etc. lead to bore leading or bad accuracy. Throats can be uniformed to fix the undersized ones and there's a guy on Cast Boolit Forum that goes by DougGuy who does all kinds of cylinder remediation as a business. He gets rave reviews.

Hope this is of some value to you.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

@Wayne Dobbs wrote: ”... the Remington load was dry lubed and semi-hollow based which allowed it to upset properly in the cylinder throats and seal gas. Pulled examples confirmed that.”

The base of the bullet I pulled has a hollow base.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  30.1 KB

Site Supporter
    Factory lead round nose will not be messy. Be certain to clean under the extractor star and keep the rod straight up when extracting. One trick that you can try but is unnecessary is applying a thin layer of Frog Lube on the exterior. When finished shooting, merely wife off the exterior with a cloth. The LRN bullets are swaged and, though lubricated, do not have a large quantity of heavy grease on them as would traditional cast bullets. These swaged bullets will be much cleaner. Leading will be minimal. These comments might not apply to remanufactured ammo.

Site Supporter
    Shoot a box of the bloody things and find out rather than trying to guess what will happen ahead of time.

Dave

Since this is pretty much the exact same bullet type and velocity range that was shot for millions upon millions of rounds by too many cops to estimate, all over the world, for almost a century, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Or, I'd gladly take them off your hands....
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

A bit or useless trivia, this load is, or at least was, the standard service loading for the Japanese national police.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gu...vice-revolver/
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Factory lead round nose will not be messy.
    While it is a different cartridge than the Remington that OP was wondering about, someone might find it useful or of interest to know that Magtech .38 LRN caused extreme leading in my Ruger Speed Six. While I have and will continue to use other Magtech cartridges, I will never, ever buy any of the LRN load, despite it being pretty much the cheapest option available.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

There’s a commercial reloading outfit 10 minutes from me, and they have PMC .38 FMJ in stock priced at $350/500 rounds. Even though they’re in the remanufacturing biz, they sell plenty of name brands, along with firearms. I still have around 1,300 rounds of FMJ .38, and plenty of SJSP .357 magnum, so another 500 rounds should get me through the drought.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Did you zero your calipers before measuring? They should be .357-.358.

.345 will fall through the bore without touching the lands.

.350 will just kiss the lands on each side.
    Most lead bullets from the commercial casters are .358". Some people actually cast to .359".

.345-.350" is going to lead a .357 barrel yugely.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    A bit or useless trivia, this load is, or at least was, the standard service loading for the Japanese national police.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gu...vice-revolver/
    Is it true that the Biden administration will recomend hiring japanese consultants for the new, improved, police departments?

User Tag List