Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Using LRN Rounds...

Using LRN Rounds...

I stocked up on FMJ .38 Special when Hillary was predicted to win, but I’m down to maybe 1,500 rounds now. I accidentally ordered 1,000 rounds of Remington 158gr LRN back in 2016, and I’ve been saving it for the Zombie Apocalypse. I know it’s been asked before, but how much mess would LRN make in my revolvers? I’m a meticulous cleaner, and bought some real copper scrubbers last year. TIA!

ETA: I don’t have any idea of Remington’s LRN lead content, so that’s my actual question.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    It depends on the loading (pressure available to obturate the bullets), the lube, and how they're sized relative to the key dimensions of your gun. If everything is in a correct relationship, you can shoot a lot of lead without any leading issues. If it's not in a correct relationship, you can shoot not very much lead at all and find yourself with severe leading issues.

You can slug the barrel, measure your chamber throats, pull some bullets and measure them, or you could just try shooting them and see what happens.

Lewis Lead Remover is said to work well. I haven't used mine yet.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 05-06-2021 at 11:18 AM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I have very much come to value my Lewis Lead Remover.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Case in point. I had a P-220 and a Colt 1911. I shot the same lead loads in both. My P-220 leaded up every time I shot it. My 1911 never did lead up. I also had a 625 and shot the same loads in it with no leading. I could have solved the problem with the P-220 by using a larger dia. bullet but I didn't want the hassle of keeping two different bullets in stock so I sold it.

I don't think it has as much to do with lead content as bullet size to match your particular barrel. Lead requires a larger bullet dia. than FMJ, usually, or they will lead a barrel. Check the dia. of your lead against the dia. of your FMJ. High velocity is another problem with lead but anything sub sonic shouldn't be a problem.

OJ pretty much covered it. I don't know why I even try.
    Last edited by Borderland; 05-06-2021 at 12:02 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    It depends on the loading (pressure available to obturate the bullets), the lube, and how they're sized relative to the key dimensions of your gun. If everything is in a correct relationship, you can shoot a lot of lead without any leading issues. If it's not in a correct relationship, you can shoot a not very much lead at all and find yourself with severe leading issues.

You can slug the barrel, measure your chamber throats, pull some bullets and measure them, or you could just try shooting them and see what happens.

Lewis Lead Remover is said to work well. I haven't used mine yet.
    +1. I've shot 700+ of my handloads using swaged lead bullets at +P pressures in a class and had no leading because everything fit. The ammo you have is standard pressure stuff, I'd run a box of it through your gun and see how it works out. If it doesn't, this would be an excellent time to get rid of it for a profit. I've had no problem with R-P 158-grain LSWC-HPs in my guns, but I rarely shoot that stuff due to cost and availability.

I have the Hoppe's version of the Lewis Lead Remover, but it's been a long time since I've needed it, including for full-power .44 Mag loads.

Thanks All! I actually used my digital calipers to measure the FMJ’s (Winchester red, white, and blue box) and LRN bullets at the crimp, and the LRN had a greater diameter. I did pull one of the LRN’s last year, and it had two lubed rings. I couldn’t give them away a few years ago, but times have changed (!!!!).

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    Thanks All! I actually used my digital calipers to measure the FMJ’s (Winchester red, white, and blue box) and LRN bullets at the crimp, and the LRN had a greater diameter. I did pull one of the LRN’s last year, and it had two lubed rings. I couldn’t give them away a few years ago, but times have changed (!!!!).
    FWIW, coated lead solves a lot of leading issues, but you don't have those so shoot em if ya got em. I gave away about 1000 lead bullets years ago and like you said, they weren't worth much back then. I've since gone to coated when I can't get FMJ.

Good luck.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Copper chore boy cleans the worst leading in less then 10 minutes.

The ammo has been stored under my desk, so I pulled a bullet. Two lube ring, an average reading of .345” (high .350”), and seemingly soft.
    Name:  B80C493D-DAB6-4829-B31E-565285E0C053.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  39.5 KB

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Did you zero your calipers before measuring? They should be .357-.358.

.345 will fall through the bore without touching the lands.

.350 will just kiss the lands on each side.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List