Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ratchet belts for carry 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Mirolynmonbro View Post
    The boxer tactical buckle is way too big to me to even consider using it

I use KORE belts. Everyday it's their leather with the appendix buckle, I think it's called X7. On days when I shoot IDPA I switch to a nylon belt with the appendix buckle

Nexbelt has an appendix carry buckle too but I haven't tried it yet
    Just curious what makes the X7 so great for AIWB carry.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Any downside to using the X7 for non-appendix carry, or even no-carry, that you can think of?
    I can't think of a downside. It's functionally the same just not as long as the other ones

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    Just curious what makes the X7 so great for AIWB carry.
    It's just shorter than the other buckles so with some pants I can wear it at the front instead of having to offset the buckle to a side belt loop. Even when wearing it to the side it's still smaller than the other buckles and I can reach in my pockets easier

I think it's better for IDPA tac reloads because there is less buckle for the mag to get caught on. I stow mags in my waistband at 11oclock

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    I have a KORE Essentials belt and it works just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Is that the non-EDC 1&3/8” wide version?

How’s it work for carry, if you are carrying with it, and what are you carrying?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Is that the non-EDC 1&3/8” wide version?

How’s it work for carry, if you are carrying with it, and what are you carrying?
    It’s the inch and a half carry version. Although it’s not quite as stiff as my woven nylon Volund Gearworks belt but it’s still plenty stiff enough and carry’s just fine as the other one, I just don’t wear it or the other one much because the only time I carry OWB strong-side in a pancake holster is when it’s too cold to wear shorts on my own personal time. As long as it’s warm enough to wear shorts or whenever I’m at seated at work regardless of the season, I pocket carry but to further answer your question, I can carry either of my two full-size Beretta PX4s just as easily as my little compact Springfield XDE.

The only reason why I don’t carry more often that way is I guess it’s just because of my body shape that keeps me from not being able to have a belt on so tight to hold everything up. That, and when I’m at work, a gun belt just gets far too uncomfortable between the width of the belt, the stiffness of the belt and the size of the buckle. The buckle is tiny on my Volund but the belt’s width and stiffness still aren’t very comfortable when you have a gut….. not sure if skinny people or people with much smaller midsections would still have this problem or not… LOL.

Interesting interactions. Good examples of people being angry because everyone else doesn't see things like they do. "pot metal"... "better options (translation - "it's what I like")" and more. I've been carrying a long time. I own multiple versions of Wilderness, 511, Bigfoot, Graith / MM, Anson (gunbelt version), and Kore.

I got tired of dealing with velcro and regardless of the gun community celebrities who endorse specific brands, I found all the velcro belts similar in performance for me. They all did the job about the same. I reluctantly bought a Kore leather and immediately decided I'd never go back to velcro again. I then bought the KORE nylon with the X7 small buckle and have loved the ratchet ease of adjustment. If KORE made the same nylon belt minus the internal stiffener (basically the same as the nylon on the velcro belts) that would be perfect.

As for "made in the USA", all things being equal, I would prefer to buy something 100% made in America, but let's be real. My wife's Hyundai was built in Montgomery Alabama and the Kia I'm considering is made in West Point Georgia. My last Ford had an engine built in Canada, electronics from Asia, and the whole thing was assembled in Mexico. And the American-owned Hyundai dealership we bought from employs over 600 Americans.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    FWIW, when I wore the Boxer, I always pushed the buckles to the side close to the hip and it wasn't much of a problem as far as it's bulk. YMMV. I do the same when using a regular buckle belt for AWIB.

The Kore belts' track/buckle system is also not super sturdy. Does that mean you can't successfully carry with it for a while? Not necessarily, but I'd rather not.

It's apparent if you read the thread that half the people seem to say it's an iffy piece of equipment, and the other half say "well... it works for me!"

Crowdsourcing at it's best.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Speaking of Boxer - they went "out of business" in 2018 and didn't re-emerge until 2020 when another company bought Boxer from the original owner, according to their website. Seems that gun belts are a tough item to solely float a company's boat with these days. We've seen some of our favorite belt companies either close or morph into a new or old label (Graith / Mastermind) or companies just stop making belts (Ox Creek Tactical). Company long-term viability should factor in somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry T View Post
    Interesting interactions. Good examples of people being angry because everyone else doesn't see things like they do. "pot metal"... "better options (translation - "it's what I like")" and more. I've been carrying a long time. I own multiple versions of Wilderness, 511, Bigfoot, Graith / MM, Anson (gunbelt version), and Kore.

I got tired of dealing with velcro and regardless of the gun community celebrities who endorse specific brands, I found all the velcro belts similar in performance for me. They all did the job about the same. I reluctantly bought a Kore leather and immediately decided I'd never go back to velcro again. I then bought the KORE nylon with the X7 small buckle and have loved the ratchet ease of adjustment. If KORE made the same nylon belt minus the internal stiffener (basically the same as the nylon on the velcro belts) that would be perfect.

As for "made in the USA", all things being equal, I would prefer to buy something 100% made in America, but let's be real. My wife's Hyundai was built in Montgomery Alabama and the Kia I'm considering is made in West Point Georgia. My last Ford had an engine built in Canada, electronics from Asia, and the whole thing was assembled in Mexico. And the American-owned Hyundai dealership we bought from employs over 600 Americans.
    Good post, man.

I have my thoughts but all in all, there’s just no need to be like that. I caught all sorts of hell in a discussion I posted just simply asking about gun belt recommendations but let’s just say several people were unhappy with which belt I chose but shit, there ain’t no need in getting upset about it. People are going to have opinions even if they do get tend to get a little bit carried away presenting them.

But I’m curious… And no, for the others that might read this, I’m not asking a thing about quality, price or anything else, I’m just curious about how well it works because contrary to what I believe a lot of other people’s beliefs are, I don’t have a thing at all wrong against that wilderness five stitch belt that was heavily recommended in my thread and in this one but I just wasn’t crazy about the buckle, nor was I crazy about the unused part of the belt having to rely on a piece of Velcro to hold it tucked into the body but other than that, The reason I chose the KORE over the wilderness was because I liked and actually DO like the ratcheting system. I didn’t buy that one just to purposely piss people off… LOL.

But AnyWho, how do you like that KORE belt over the wilderness belt? I’m strictly curious.

Site Supporter
    Larry T

"As for "made in the USA", all things being equal, I would prefer to buy something 100% made in America, but let's be real. My wife's Hyundai was built in Montgomery Alabama and the Kia I'm considering is made in West Point Georgia. My last Ford had an engine built in Canada, electronics from Asia, and the whole thing was assembled in Mexico. And the American-owned Hyundai dealership we bought from employs over 600 Americans.

S. Korea nor Mexico represent existential threats to to US interests around the world. Not remotely an apple to apple comparison relative to USA/PRC.

"Company long-term viability should factor in somewhere."

I concur. Ergo the default recommendation by many re Wilderness belts given how long they have been in business. There are multiple traditional hole in belt leather companies in that boat as well.

Bottom line: You want to put money into a Govt (PRC) that is decidedly against our interests and is systematically trying to eliminate a race of people (Uyghurs). Rock on. I will take a pass. Particularly when the product is often inferior and is not good value. I have and will gladly spend more even when "all things being equal" to buy made in the USA and elsewhere.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    FWIW, when I wore the Boxer, I always pushed the buckles to the side close to the hip and it wasn't much of a problem as far as it's bulk. YMMV. I do the same when using a regular buckle belt for AWIB.

The Kore belts' track/buckle system is also not super sturdy. Does that mean you can't successfully carry with it for a while? Not necessarily, but I'd rather not.

It's apparent if you read the thread that half the people seem to say it's an iffy piece of equipment, and the other half say "well... it works for me!"

Crowdsourcing at it's best.
    I guess just because I have an “overhang” and being seated all the time, it doesn’t matter if I slide the buckle to one side or the other, it still causes discomfort even with but not so much with my lizard tail belt.

But with the track system on the Kore belt being made out of plastic, that’s where I would say the weak point is rather than in the “pot metal” buckle but you’re right, it’s hard to read reviews and opinions when some say it’s good and some say it’s not. It’s just like, too many people when they give their opinion, they’re trying to apply themselves to you and make the decision on what you’re gonna like, what’s going to work and what’s not going to work over what you think will work, not work or like yourself.

User Tag List