Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ratchet belts for carry 2021

I had one of these a few years ago (Next Belt I think) and it lasted a couple months at best. The faux leather delaminated and the ratchet trough teeth begun to wear down then one of the screws broke out of the buckle and into the trash it went. I'm not a fan of velcro either as it has a cheap sensation that reminds me of a kid's wallet but those ratcheting belts are like the fidget spinners of belts. For non-velcro, I choose between the Master Mind D ring, leather, First Spear biothane, and Ares Aegis. I wear the Master Mind D ring the most.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Looking at ordering from Kore today. Anybody have an alternate solution in the same vein that I should look at?
    Rob, did you end up ordering? I have a nylon X7 in my cart right now and am seriously tempted.

My concern with Kore is some of the comments here about a lack of stiffness, I carry mostly OWB and am used to a Wilderness with stiffener. I’m wondering if I should try the Apogee instead.
    Last edited by HeavyDuty; 06-30-2021 at 07:34 AM.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Rob, did you end up ordering? I have a nylon X7 in my cart right now and am seriously tempted.

My concern with Kore is some of the comments here about a lack of stiffness, I carry mostly OWB and am used to a Wilderness with stiffener. I’m wondering if I should try the Apogee instead.
    Hitting "submit" on the order right now!

Name:  2021-06-30 09_12_41-Window.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  24.0 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Hitting "submit" on the order right now!

Name:  2021-06-30 09_12_41-Window.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  24.0 KB
    Ok, I think I’ll hold off and see what you think. I’m particularly concerned about a few of the nylon belt stiffness comments, but I’m not wearing a Batbelt - just a OWB Glock and an offside mag and phone.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Ok, I think I’ll hold off and see what you think. I’m particularly concerned about a few of the nylon belt stiffness comments, but I’m not wearing a Batbelt - just a OWB Glock and an offside mag and phone.
    Current plan is to strap on the G19 in a JMCK OWB 1 for around the yard working on odds and ends so I should be able to offer some feedback in that regard.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

For whatever it’s worth, my Kore Essentials belt is pretty stiff. As I mentioned earlier, it’s not quite as stiff as my Volund belt is but it’s still pretty stiff enough to where you can hold the belt in your hands, buckle it, then grab the buckle and hold it out at arms length and the belt still pretty much holds it shape without much droop at all.

Even though my other one is in fact a little stiffer, when I tried both belts at different times with my full-size PX4 45 and my compact Springfield XDE and smaller PX4 compact 9mm, I really couldn’t feel a difference in support. They both supported the weight great but I still had to have both belts tighter than what most people would consider reasonable to hold everything up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a few Nextbelts like 5-6 years ago and they are now all I use.

The belt itself is stiff enough that I haven't had an issue with them flopping. As someone else said the ratchet doesn't always hold, sometimes it slips a bit which is not ideal and relegated them to normal non carry use.

Blade Tech came in and made their "Ultiamte Carry Belt" which is basically a Nextbelt but with a better more sturdy buckle. The magnet that holds the latch closed seems to be stronger preventing that slip.

Then Nextbelt came out with the "Supreme Appendix" belt which they market as such because the buckle takes up less space leaving you more space to carry a gun:

https://www.nexbelt.com/products/sup...dix-black-38mm

The real advantage of this one is the latching mechanism seems to be stronger and it uses a push button to open which makes it easier to adjust throughout the day.

I know this is about ratcheting belts, but I think we've bounced around enough for me to add this. I have owned a Saddleback Leather Tow belt for longer than I can remember now. It's the most comfortable belt I've used for AIWB and it has held up extremely well. I have carried everything from a J-frame to a 5" 1911 with it and it always handles the weight. I'm finally going to need to replace the one I own because I'm now too small for the original one I purchased. I really need to buy one in black too but have resisted for some reason. At $99 they're not inexpensive. But I honestly believe if taken care of they will last forever.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar

A polymer insert (assuming that's what you're referring to) stiffened Wilderness is a high bar of stiffness. Are we still doing phrasing?

The Kore isn't gonna be stiff enough for you if that's the level you're looking for.

The Boxer Apogee won't be stiff enough for you, either.

The Boxer is comparable to other biothane belts--stiff vertically but flexible with some droop otherwise. If you squeeze it in the vertical plane between top and bottom edges it is solid, but if you put your hand on the side of it and push to flatten it to the table, it will flatten out more than double thick bullhide/Volund Atlas/polymer-reinforced Wilderness.

I don't OWB so I can't give more feedback in that regard.

I'm sure you could OWB with it, but if highest level stiffness is your desire, I'm not sure that there's a ratchet belt out there for you. Short of something super goofy that looks like it came off of a pair of inline skates: https://volundgearworks.com/product/...petition-belt/
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    A polymer insert (assuming that's what you're referring to) stiffened Wilderness is a high bar of stiffness. Are we still doing phrasing?

The Kore isn't gonna be stiff enough for you if that's the level you're looking for.

The Boxer Apogee won't be stiff enough for you, either.

The Boxer is comparable to other biothane belts--stiff vertically but flexible with some droop otherwise. If you squeeze it in the vertical plane between top and bottom edges it is solid, but if you put your hand on the side of it and push to flatten it to the table, it will flatten out more than double thick bullhide/Volund Atlas/polymer-reinforced Wilderness.

I don't OWB so I can't give more feedback in that regard.

I'm sure you could OWB with it, but if highest level stiffness is your desire, I'm not sure that there's a ratchet belt out there for you. Short of something super goofy that looks like it came off of a pair of inline skates: https://volundgearworks.com/product/...petition-belt/
    Well, shit. I’ve been wearing stiffened Wilderness belts for so long I’m not sure how I would adapt to something less rigid. I may have to pays my money and takes my chance. I needs a stiffie!
    Ken

User Tag List