Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ratchet belts for carry 2021

Ratchet belts for carry 2021

My Wilderness Instructor’s Belt is getting pretty worn. I’ve been using leather ratchet belts for dress for a few years now (Mission, I think) and want to try something similar in nylon for EDC with jeans.

I’m thinking the Blade-Tech Ultimate Carry Belt in nylon. Any comments about this belt or suggestions?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    I think those are made by Nextbelt? I have been using a Nextbelt for about 2 years now and love it. The amount of tightness I need to keep my pants from constantly dropping when carrying a double stack Glock causes indigestion when I'm seated. Very easy to just open the belt a few clicks when I sit in the vehicle and then tighten a few when I get out.
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by APS-PF View Post
    I think those are made by Nextbelt? I have been using a Nextbelt for about 2 years now and love it. The amount of tightness I need to keep my pants from constantly dropping when carrying a double stack Glock causes indigestion when I'm seated. Very easy to just open the belt a few clicks when I sit in the vehicle and then tighten a few when I get out.
    I’m not sure - I didn’t see anything about who makes it. Good feedback, thanks!
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

The leather ones are for sure made by Nexbelt. There is an older thread on ratchet belts that might be of interest. I went with the leather Bladetech, because I found it a bit cheaper then off the manufactures site.

For years I've been skeptical of ratchet belts. Instead I used leather belts from reputable holster makers or nylon "tactical" belts like Wilderness.

But about a year ago I purchased a 1.5" ratchet belt from Kore, and I'm very happy with it. I've worn it daily for about a year, and it's held up very well. It has a few scratches on the buckle, but otherwise it's 100%. I think it's this one:

https://www.koreessentials.com/colle...-tactical-belt

Despite the name, it doesn't look tactical ninja at all. I'll probably buy a 1.25" dress belt from the same company if/when I return to the office.

I think the need for a gunbelt is gone, at least for me, with the PHLster Enigma. I have a JMCK Enigma Shell on the Enigma and I carry my RDS G19 with no weight issue.

Site Supporter
    Check out the Carbon Tactics Cipher. It's not technically a ratcheting belt, but is similar in function. I got in on the Kickstarter when I was looking for something that adjusted as easily as my Mean Gene Aegis, but is lower profile and water/sweat resistant. The magnetic latch is pretty cool once you get used to how it unhooks. I've been happy with mine, but I accidentally ordered two of the double layer webbing instead of the biothane.

I wasn't keen on Kore for a long time but I got sick and tired of dealing with velcro belts and all the hype from gun industry celebrities hawking yet another velcro belt pretty much exactly like all the others. I tried a Kore leather model and knew I'd never go back to a velcro belt again. It was great for semi-dressier needs but I didn't really like the leather version for AIWB EDC. I got a "tactical nylon" model with the smaller AIWB buckle and love it. It's sturdier than it needs to be for AIWB (rated at 8 lbs) but I haven't found it too stiff or uncomfortable. If they made a nylon model without the internal stiffener I think it would be perfect for AIWB.

Site Supporter
    Not a fan of ratcheting belts. Certainly not a fan when they are made in Asia and often as expensive or relative to comparable Made in USA offerings.

For an AIWB belt with jeans, presuming a cover garment, the offerings of Wilderness and Mastermind Tactics are both superlative.

I was not familiar with the Cipher brand until I looked at it re this thread. Made in the USA is always a good thing. The "hook" and "cti" buckles seem to be quite low profile.

If I did not already have 5 Mastermind belts, two old school Maxpedition Liger belts, a 5.11 homage of the Liger and 2 Wilderness Frequent Flyer Belts already, I suspect I would give one of the Ciphers a go.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

I bought a pair of Kore belts last fall - one OD nylon "tactical" and one black leather for suit wear. 7 months later, they've both gotten worn MAYBE a half dozen times, total.

The nylon belt doesn't work for me when hauling a CCO 1911 with a couple of 7 round mags or a G19 with one spare mag, flashlight, and lightweight cuffs. Way too saggy for that load. The leather model is even worse, though it looks OK in dress pants.

For hauling anything heavier than a lightweight polymer pistol, I'm a Volund Atlas fan. In fact, it's the only belt I wear when I go to work, UNLESS I have to wear grown up clothes to go to court of provide training of a "professional" audience. Off duty, it's a Wilderness five-stitch Frequent Flyer pretty much all the time.

User Tag List