Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Royal Marines Using Jet Packs to Board Ships

Site Supporter
    I just wanted to be the first to say "Mandalorian" in this thread.

This is as close as I’ve seen to my childhood flying dreams coming true. I respect the tactical applicability but I respect even more the idea that a person can fly. Too cool.

Hey DoD! I hope you're paying attention.

Not the stealthiest way to board a ship. But the bad guys will be in such utter disbelief, they won't notice the Lynx fast-roping the other 30 heavily armed Marines at the other end of the ship.

Saw this in action firsthand a few years back, visiting our allies' carrier. Our launch was greeted on approach with a surprise flyby as a capability demonstration. Without commenting further on future employment, let us just say there is much potential to be realized. Whether it will come from this system, or something that evolves from it, who can say.

Site Supporter
    I wonder how much power you would need to have a gunner/cover man rigged in tandem in front of the pilot? Two jet packs could get 4 guys to a lot of places where people wouldn’t expect other people to be.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I wonder how much power you would need to have a gunner/cover man rigged in tandem in front of the pilot? Two jet packs could get 4 guys to a lot of places where people wouldn’t expect other people to be.
    Of course there is the current four man jet pack.

Name:  8722A05C-4DFE-4F36-BC85-0A1423478A6F.jpeg
Views: 249
Size:  22.1 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I saw several of these videos the other day. I believe the concept for boarding is getting one or several jet pack guys over the ship, seeing vacant rail space, dropping in, setting cable boarding ladders for the fast boat guys to board, and I believe keeping anyone from unhooking the ladder.

The company founder is pretty cool. He has an interesting vision, and this is one use he originally wanted to fill, as I think he had done it the old fashioned way in the British .mil service. The jet packs are currently available for qualified buyers, but buyers are vetted. Then come up with the current price of $440,000 US and you can fly. Run time on the current model is about 10 minutes, but they are constantly working on upgraded models. the Brits are trying them out on wild country medics and rescue people, they can cover quite a lot of rough terrain quickly to reduce time lag in getting medical help to injured people.

They have the water buoyancy thing worked out, they do much of their testing over water as it doesnt hurt as much if you fall down.

The rig doesnt really weigh that much all things considered, but it takes 10 gallons of jet fuel, a gallon a minute to run. Theyre working to improve run time and range, fuel use etc.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkH...H8KGmQNDp4QXLw
    Last edited by Malamute; 05-05-2021 at 09:56 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Let's not forget the nimrod who has been flying his jet pack near LAX in Los Angeles. At 3000 feet.

It's all fun and games until you get smeared by a 747.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    That would be a heck of a "bird strike."
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

It is possible that pirates would see them coming and think its so cool that they would consider it an honor to be captured. If I was a pirate, I would.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

User Tag List