Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cecil Burch/IA Combatives -- Seattle/Tacoma area, WA SEP 25-26 2021

Cecil Burch/IA Combatives -- Seattle/Tacoma area, WA SEP 25-26 2021

Cecil Burch will be in the South Sound area of Washington to instruct his excellent Immediate Action Jiu-Jitsu course work. I have taken his class twice in the last two years and I took away a huge amount of information both times.

Cost $250
    Maximum number of students is 11.

From Cecil's web page:

Immediate Action Jiu-jitsu

Real World Application of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in a Weapon-Based-Environment

Contrary to popular belief, many empty hand fights and those involving weapons, end up on the ground. No amount of pontificating or self-proclaimed “expert” posturing will change this simple fact. If you ignore this reality, you may very well find yourself in a situation you cannot handle with disastrous consequences. This course is designed to give the layman a realistic and functional set of concepts, techniques, methodologies, training drills and experiences that will prepare them for a worst case “ground-fight” scenario. All techniques and concepts are high percentile applications which span a wide spectrum of confrontations. Training consists of presentation, drilling and Force-On-Force evolutions providing attendees with immediate feedback regarding the efficacy of the skills learned. The goal of this course is not to create a “ground fighter” or grappler. The objective is to provide attendees who have limited training time and resources with solid ground survival and escape fundamentals geared toward the increasingly violent weapon based environments they may live, work and/or travel within. And all techniques/concepts are from Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and are combat proven over the past 80 years by thousands of practitioners, including the U.S. Army.

These methods are for everyone regardless of physical condition – young, old, male, female, athlete or not – You DO NOT have to be a professional fighter to perform at a functional level. This will be a class about physical training, but it is NOT boot camp. Participants may go at the pace that is comfortable for them, while trying to push the envelope of their own individual performance.
    Requirements : Loose, comfortable but durable clothes, mouthpiece, cup, notebook, and an open mind
    The course is divided into modules that address specific situations. Seminars/training can be customized to fit your needs by arranging for the appropriate modules to be covered. Among the topics covered by the modules include:

• Surviving/defending/escaping when you are on the ground underneath an attacker
    • Surviving/defending/escaping when you are on the ground and your opponent is standing
    • Functional methods of getting back to your feet
    • Countering takedowns and remaining on your feet
    • IFWA (in-fight weapon access)
    • Denying your opponent’s weapon access – understanding technique, positional hierarchy AND timing
    • Multiple opponents – realistically maximizing your chances
    • Surviving inside the guard
    • Proper usage of the guard to win/escape
    • Defending against punches, elbow strikes, stomps, kicks, etc…
    • Proper role of “dirty tactics”
    • Essential training principles, methods, & drills
    • How these concepts & techniques remain true with or without weapon involvement
    • Learning to deal with the most common MMA attacks and holds
    • Recognizing and defending against common submissions (guillotine, rear naked choke, triangle, arm bar, etc.)
    • Structuring and balancing your training and integrating it into a busy real world lifestyle

I am really looking forward to this. I love the general PNW area, and there should be some old friends attending.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Looking forward to it!
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I am as well!
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I hate to miss this but I have several thousand dollars worth of dental appliances in my mouth right now and can't afford to have any of them forcibly rearranged.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

BTTT
    Last edited by Cecil Burch; 09-21-2021 at 06:09 PM. Reason: wrong spot

This is going to be a good crew. It’s also in a comely looking area. I can’t wait.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Cecil Burch/IA Combatives -- Seattle/Tacoma area, WA SEP 25-26 2021

Excellent class, @Cecil Burch! I learned a ton. Hope to train with you again soon. @Flamingo, thanks for hosting.

It was great rolling with @Totem Polar, @RevolverRob, and the others. (Who else from P-F was there?)
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Cool

An absolutely great class from @Cecil Burch - and a great hosting job from @Flamingo

Thank you to you both for providing the opportunity to learn.

Great fun rolling with @Totem Polar and you too @Clusterfrack

Highlight: Head butting a Shitty Mod in the face. Lowlight: Having that same Shitty Mod take my back in that same rep after I head butted him...

Warning to folks out there: Shitty Mods may shoot you even if you're entangled on the ground with them. I'm not saying I observed it at least twice...but maybe I did. Fortunately, it was a blue gun, if I did observe it, but I'm pretty sure he'd fuck your day up on the streetz. Don't wear kiltz and walk on the streetz with Shitty Mods.

Second Warning: At least one of our musicians here is super nice in person, but he can and will still take you down and choke you out with your own t-shirt.

Third Warning: You may find very unassuming and self-deprecating forum members will ALSO ruthlessly toss you around and lay on top of you like you're in a prison shower. Not sure where they learned that...

Final Warning: Attendance to IAJJ might be fun and leave you sore after. If you're smart, you'll learn a lot. And you can have a really good time with a bunch of great and caring training partners along with an absolutely great and humble instructor. Would highly recommend the class for anyone even partially serious about learning effective entangled combatives.

Yes, today I am bruised, stiff and sore from a weekend of getting my ass kicked. But I learned a lot, reinforced some critical things I knew before. Caught some mistakes/habits I had drilled in from working solo courtesy of Cecil and my training partners. And mostly came away feeling good that I am establishing a good foundation of principle based grappling and entangled fighting. Also, I know where I need to put in the most work to improve, and this is one of the most critical things I can ever take away from training.

@Clusterfrack and @RevolverRob - thanks so much for coming to the class and thank you for the kind wrods. It was an exceptionally good bunch of guys, and as an instructor, it made my job much easier. @Flamingo absolutely did an outstanding job as host, and of course it is always great to spend time with @Totem Polar. I am also psyched to see the very real possibility of a good training group starting in the area. I saw some great work from so many of the students, and I will love to see how much better it gets with this crew working together even slightly regularly.

I am already mentally geared up to come back to the PNW in '22 - whether it is Tacoma, Spokane, or Portland!

User Tag List