Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revolver pinned front sights

Revolver pinned front sights

We all know that many revolvers need a better front sight. The plain ramped front sight on many revolvers is almost invisible to me. Some sights are pinned in place and could be easily changed by the owner if a suitable replacement could be found.

A few places offer fiber optic and tritium for fixed sight S&Ws and Rugers. I measured a few take off sights and I wonder if replacements could be fitted to different revolvers with a little file work and LocTite.

The ones I measured are all .125" wide with a slightly different tenon. The Model 10 in my avatar has a SDM sight cut down on the bottom by Al Greco to the correct height and pinned and LocTited into place.

Name:  IMG_6209.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  18.0 KB

Site Supporter
    I'm pondering getting some sight work done to my S&W 6" K, since the wide front (not pinned unfortunately), and narrow rear notch are killers on my old eyes. I'll be following this thread with great interest.

The new[er] Taurus 856 is offering this pinned front sight.
    It's only available thru them as far as I know, but it's made by Ameriglo.

https://www.shoptaurus.com/856-acces...rs-322-0006-00

They offer no dimensions on it on the website.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    I'm pondering getting some sight work done to my S&W 6" K, since the wide front (not pinned unfortunately), and narrow rear notch are killers on my old eyes. I'll be following this thread with great interest.
    The simplest and cheapest way to get more daylight is open up the rear sight notch with small files. If modifying an original part bothers you, the blades are still easily available last I checked, so youre not making a permanent and unfixable change.

Ive painted ALL my pistol and carbine front sights neon orange (white fingernail polish base coat with light coat of Traffic Cone orange over it). Its brighter than the fiber optic sights ive compared it to. In my normal environs Im out at dusk every day with carbine in hand doing a walk around and skunk patrol. Im constantly amazed at how well the paint on the sights shows up, LONG after normal blued sights are totally invisible. It doesnt do what tritium does, but covers use up to near dark fairly well. I have a light for after that point on the carbine.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    I agree with @Malamute I've opened a lot of rear sights with a file. My 25-2 sight in the picture has 1 dot of paint applied with a round toothpick. I'm cheap that way.

For me there’s no substitute for light.

Problem is my carry K-frames all have the integral ramp.

I find the sight picture on my 25-2 about perfect. As barrels get shorter, though, those 1/8” front sights eats up a lot more of the notch.

On model 66 I run in IDPA, I replaced the pinned FS with a 1/10-post with FO insert from Protocall Design. It’s the best sight picture of any of my Smiths under 6”.

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/1...-sight-thread/

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    Problem is my carry K-frames all have the integral ramp.
    I have an awesome M-19 I never shoot because of the black front sight I cannot see. I think Wilson has a solution for the Beretta 92 that would work, I just have not identified anybody locally that would do such a project, and for the cost of shipping I could fund 30% of the cost of a Chinese mini mill and do it myself. If I screw it up I am just back to having it milled away and something pinned in place, I am also trying to come up with a scheme that wouldn't require the whole gun to be refinished.

Name:  92 Frone.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  38.0 KB

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post

Interesting how many people comment on the FO vial being below the bottom of the rear notch on those guns. Now I can see why.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I can only guess it is because there's no way to reference the rears in the dark.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post

That is... funky looking. That tritium dot at the bottom reminds me of their Defoor sights. At $30 i may order up one of those to play around with. If it would fit that might be fun on my Speed Six project. The rear sight on that just might be deep enough.

The discussion here: https://www.taurusarmed.net/threads/.../#post-5716767 suggests that it might be pretty close to a conventional j-frame sight in dimensions, but probably a touch thinner.

User Tag List