Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: POM Spray Users, How Do You Carry It?

POM Spray Users, How Do You Carry It?

I've been carrying POM pepper spray for something like four years now, and I don't think I've ever found a good way to carry it. In general, I dislike cargo pants/shorts, but a thigh pocket seems to be the best location I've found to put the spray. I'm right-handed, but after taking @John Murphy's class, a couple years ago, I switched to carrying my spray on my left side (so that I could also access my firearm with my right). Even, "tactical" (man I hate that word) type pants that have "extra" pockets seem to have them on the right side.

Any good suggestions? Please be specific, i.e. if you carry it in a front pocket, don't just say "in my front pocket." Is it down in the pocket? Clipped to the pocket? More inboard or outboard, or in the middle?

Thanks.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

deleted.
    Last edited by blues; 05-05-2021 at 02:02 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

I keep mine clipped to the rear left pocket pretty much all the time. For most of my pants the pocket extends far enough to the side and the canister is small enough that I don't even feel it when sitting.

Site Supporter
    I’m most often in my “Carlos Rey” pants that have smallish cellphone pockets on both legs. They are kinda lame for cellphones, but work great for me with a SOFFTW tourniquet in the right pocket and POM in the left. I use a really fragile rubber band around each to help keep them in the pockets in case I’m rolling around (or laying on the couch [emoji1] ) and to keep the tourniquet neatly folded. I’ve never lost either one yet but continue to be a little paranoid about that.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I’m most often in my “Carlos Rey” pants that have smallish cellphone pockets on both legs. They are kinda lame for cellphones, but work great for me with a SOFFTW tourniquet in the right pocket and POM in the left. I use a really fragile rubber band around each to help keep them in the pockets in case I’m rolling around (or laying on the couch [emoji1] ) and to keep the tourniquet neatly folded. I’ve never lost either one yet but continue to be a little paranoid about that.
    The rubber band is a great idea!
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

I carry on my left side for the same reason as the OP. In jeans or khakis or whatever, the canister clips to the left hand pocket (riding inside the pocket, pushed all the way outboard). In cargo shorts, the canister clips to the left cargo pocket in the middle of the two buttons. That's pretty much all I ever wear, so no more complexity.
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

Usually in my jacket's front pocket which is surrounded by the ellipse. Pocket is often unzipped, pepper spray does not fall out. In my case, it's Sabre Red (64 ml, no clip). I often wear this jacket but not in the summer.

Came to this idea when I saw how Daniel Craig/James Bond put his PPK into a similar outer pocket in his coat (Skyfall?).

Name:  JWJ.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  26.4 KB
    Last edited by P30; 05-05-2021 at 02:02 PM.

Site Supporter
    Yes Jacket: Support side jacket pocket, Flip top forward and clip down (see below).
    No Jacket: Support side front pocket, towards rear of pocket.

I find that if I turn the pocket clip to be opposite of where your thumb would go into the flip lid, that when I draw the POM unit from a pocket, it feels natural to quickly orient the clip into the fold of my fingers behind the knuckles and the flip lid lines up with my thumb reproduceably.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Clipped to my offhand side pocket. I orient the clip so that it's facing outwards and gorilla glue a tightened zip tie over that silly little index hump they provide. Acts as a finger guard to keep from covering the opening and also to index the nozzle correctly.

Name:  pom.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  23.1 KB
    Adam

I prefer clipped to the Strong Side Front pocket. I've found that it's the most natural to stage my hand with, it allows me to bring my light into play if needed, (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydGcM6YULrg,) and it's small enough that it doesn't interfere with my phone. I understand the logic of carrying it on the support side, that's how I started out on an RCS pocket shield between my light and tq, but I'm at the point where I prefer the extra dexterity, and if the gun is coming out, chances are the spray is getting dropped.

Also, with my previous spray, I had issues with the clip popping out and disappearing, so I ended up putting an RCS pocket clip on it. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it ran. It changes the ride height so you're giving up a little discretion, but it's also easier to access.

User Tag List