Thread: I'm Pullin' the Dot, but...

I'm Pullin' the Dot, but...

I have a Dark Star Gear sheath for my China (Clinch) Pick with a "Pull the Dot" snap on it. Over the years, it's gotten a little finicky about unsnapping (it doesn't want to). Now today, when I tried to unsnap it, it just won't. I took the sheath off my belt to loosen up the tension on the belt loop, but, nope, it won't unsnap. I'm thinking maybe the male snap underneath has rotated over the years so now it's not lining up with the female snap. Is there a mark on the male end, or is there some other way I can get this thing unsnapped?

@orionz06 maybe?
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

I doubt the snap would rotate, there's a tab that prevents it. There may be some wear on the male stud that's causing some issues. I'd poke around with a screwdriver and see if you can't encourage it to come off. Email me at the site and we'll swap out what we need to.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Can you rotate the whole strap loop a bit in each direction as you try to unsnap it? That should at least test your theory on the problem.

I've always been able to pop it with a screwdriver.

If and when you get it off, rotate that inner split ring in the cap to the 6 o'clock position where that little flange is. Then put some mineral oil on both parts of the snap. That has helped me in the past with recalcitrant PTDs.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Good advice and good thread for me to follow. I have a PTD holster that's not even old and I can't get it unsnapped.

Sometimes a bit of corrosion can make them difficult. Agreed, put it in something firm (vise, or vise grips in some way) and pry with flat blade screwdriver.

The mineral oil sounds like a damn good solution.

Before I went completely over to DCC clips, I would hit my PTD snaps with a bit of Ballistol on a q-tip. Makes a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Before I went completely over to DCC clips, I would hit my PTD snaps with a bit of Ballistol on a q-tip. Makes a huge difference.
    The same snap on the same sheath started acting up again, so I used the screwdriver trick to pop it open, wipe it off, and I hit it with a little WD-40. Works great now.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

User Tag List